Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby milksteak » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:17 pm

herodotus wrote:While the FBI is scary, they are nothing compared to the other three letter monster that you can be sure is watching this, the IRS.

Uhhhh...speak for yourself. The feds don’t f*** around man.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:04 pm

FDS wrote:Do Creighton fans get nervous at all about Epperson being involved in this? Went to La Lumiere HS (same place as Brian Bowen). In spite of it being in Indiana, Butler really doesn’t recruit from there because of a parent shadiness.

I think Creighton fans are nervous because Patton had one of these dudes as his agent. No one seems to think that Creighton was involved at all because he was not a highly rated recruit out of high school, but having a player connected to an agent committing crimes isn't great.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby muskienick » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:15 am

DudeAnon wrote:
NJRedman wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:I don't think either of them are. But Seton Hall has already dipped their toe in the gray area once and St. John's had "Slice" plus made moves on tons of 5 star recruits (even if they didn't succeed.)

I see X as a player in this. Wanting to move up in the BBall world badly.

Marcus Lovett is the one we got that scares me.

Hall definitely had some shady business. Thats what saved Willards job.

X would definitely be suspect considering the level of recruits we get.

As far back as I can remember --- the 1958 Muskie NIT Champs --- Xavier has never had a 5-star or McDonald All-Star on campus as a Freshman recruit. Our greatest players: Byron Larkin, Trevon Blueitt, David West, Tyrone Hill, James Posey, etc. all played for Xavier through their senior years. I am praying that Naji Marshall and Paul Scruggs have the thrill of at least one Final Four at Xavier and an equal thrill of receiving their diploma from Father Graham!
muskienick

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:45 am

This lengthy article is well worth a read for those of you interested:

Sources: Spreadsheets, wiretaps and bank records detail payment scheme in hoops corruption case - Pat Forde and Pete Thamel, Yahoo - Feb. 22, 2018
Financial records, documents and wiretaps tied to prominent former NBA agent Andy Miller and featuring his former associate, Christian Dawkins, have provided a detailed window for authorities into how the college basketball underworld operated, sources with knowledge of the ongoing federal investigation have told Yahoo Sports in recent days.

Sources familiar with the probe told Yahoo Sports that there’s a surprising level of specificity in the documents, bank records and wiretaps involving Miller’s business. They include exact dollar figures and intricate documentation of payments to the families of college players. There are also conversations brokering deals between Dawkins and the clients he was recruiting.

“There are spreadsheets detailing who got paid, how much they got paid and how much more they were planning to pay,” said a source familiar with the investigation. “The feds got everything they wanted and much more. Don’t think it will only be players who ended up signing with ASM that got paid. Those spreadsheets cast a wide net throughout college basketball. If your school produced a first-round pick in the past three years, be worried.”
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby cu blujs » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:40 am

Omaha1 wrote:
FDS wrote:Do Creighton fans get nervous at all about Epperson being involved in this? Went to La Lumiere HS (same place as Brian Bowen). In spite of it being in Indiana, Butler really doesn’t recruit from there because of a parent shadiness.

I think Creighton fans are nervous because Patton had one of these dudes as his agent. No one seems to think that Creighton was involved at all because he was not a highly rated recruit out of high school, but having a player connected to an agent committing crimes isn't great.

Ehhh, Epperson didn't run around the country spouting "this is a business" during his recruitment like Bowen did. I was on the record by the end of January last year stating I would be just fine if Bowen goes somewhere else. I didn't like the vibe from the guy or the family at all. We have Creighton alum Al Huss on the bench who had coached at La Lumere before the current coach, and I think Al at least was able to learn enough about Epperson's family to be comfortable with him. I don't think anyone is worried about anything to do with Justin during his recruitment. Whether he or his family took anything from the agent prior to the end of last season could be open for debate, I think. My opinion is that he lost interest in Creighton somewhere around mid-February last year, as his production numbers and just overall attitude/effort from about that point in the season seemed to bear that out. Reports were that he had quit going to class also. But I don't think anything would ever come of it in any event. What are they going to do? take away our 6th place BE medals? Wouldn't bother me a bit to see that Rhode Island NCAA game wiped off the record books :lol:
cu blujs

Postby Nildogg » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 pm

"Six other American-based clients have left ASM since the scandal broke – Justin Patton, Trevor Booker, Edmond Sumner, Jaron Blossomgame, K.J. McDaniels and Semaj Christon."

Strong possibility then that X and Creighton are involved in this?

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/so ... ssion=true
Nildogg

Postby BEXU » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:29 pm

Sumner was not highly recruited until he blew up late on the AAU trail but X was on him long before that which he gave as his reason for committing. X knew about his knee problems but offered him anyway knowing he would probably redshirt. Not exactly a guy Louisville wanted. Christon was always going to play in Cincinnati in front of his huge family, so it was going to be X or UC. BTW, we didn't get him until after DSR de-committed, so maybe G'Town is suspect lol.
Sumner then signed with his buddy Semaj's agent after the NCAAT and he found out he was going to out a year with his injuries.
BEXU

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:52 pm

Nildogg wrote:"Six other American-based clients have left ASM since the scandal broke – Justin Patton, Trevor Booker, Edmond Sumner, Jaron Blossomgame, K.J. McDaniels and Semaj Christon."

Strong possibility then that X and Creighton are involved in this?

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports/so ... ssion=true

Everyone should be worried, especially everyone with players who signed with that agency. Not saying they're all guilty but we don't know and the connection to that agency is reason enough to be nervous - whether the school was involved/had knowledge or not.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Demon22 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:43 am

Bombshell... Yahoo finally names names.

And those names include Big East schools.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html
Demon22

Postby herodotus » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 am

Demon22 wrote:Bombshell... Yahoo finally names names.

And those names include Big East schools.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html

Oh oh!
herodotus

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board