Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:11 am

Very plausible that athletes from Big East schools are named but that the coach and school had nothing to do with it and no knowledge of it occurring.
ArmyVet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:20 am

DudeAnon wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
Same lol. I can't even imagine the reaction if Xavier is involved somehow. If I had to bet, St. John's or Seton Hall. The rest of the programs seem pretty squeaky clean.

If I had to bet, I'd say Xavier and Villanova are most likely to be named from the Big East. Nothing against those programs - just playing the odds. Based on the numbers given in the article, they're both in a group of 16 schools in which roughly 8 are are in trouble. St. John's, Seton Hall, and everyone else are in a group of 335 schools in which roughly 42 are in trouble. I'd be more comfortable in the 12.5% group than the 50% group.

Hey, the Math is on your side. All we can do now is wait.

I don't have any reason to think Xavier or Villanova are guilty of wrongdoing - I just think those are scary odds. And if Seton Hall does get names...well...at least it's an excuse to get rid of Willard lol.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby sju88grad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:35 am

Listening to an interview with Jeff Goodman from ESPN and he feels this may be limited to schools tied to Adidas.....All Big East teams are with Nike except for SJU and SH which are with Under Armour....

Some of the big Adidas schools - Kansas, Indiana, Louisville, Miami, NC State, Arizona State, Texas A&M.....
sju88grad

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:44 am

Hall2012 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:
If I had to bet, I'd say Xavier and Villanova are most likely to be named from the Big East. Nothing against those programs - just playing the odds. Based on the numbers given in the article, they're both in a group of 16 schools in which roughly 8 are are in trouble. St. John's, Seton Hall, and everyone else are in a group of 335 schools in which roughly 42 are in trouble. I'd be more comfortable in the 12.5% group than the 50% group.

Hey, the Math is on your side. All we can do now is wait.

I don't have any reason to think Xavier or Villanova are guilty of wrongdoing - I just think those are scary odds. And if Seton Hall does get names...well...at least it's an excuse to get rid of Willard lol.

Why get rid of Willard? He’s the most successful coach the Hall has had in along time. Who’s going to replace him?
Bill Marsh

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:20 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:
Why get rid of Willard? He’s the most successful coach the Hall has had in along time. Who’s going to replace him?

Now to be clear, I'm not firmly in the fire Willard camp as several Hall fans are at the moment - I'll wait and see where the rest of this season goes. However, it is extremely concerning how he has such a talented an experienced team so wildly under performing. And at the current trajectory, it would be the 3rd time in his tenure that he would have a team enter February "playing for seeding" and then collapse to the point of missing the tournament completely.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby cu blujs » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm

Clearly if Creighton were involved, we aren't very good at it, having lost "Tugs" to Louisville for a mere $100K after being strung along for a year or so.
cu blujs

Postby Bill Marsh » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

Now to be clear, I'm not firmly in the fire Willard camp as several Hall fans are at the moment - I'll wait and see where the rest of this season goes. However, it is extremely concerning how he has such a talented an experienced team so wildly under performing. And at the current trajectory, it would be the 3rd time in his tenure that he would have a team enter February "playing for seeding" and then collapse to the point of missing the tournament completely.

I agree. Coming into the season, I thought that the combination of talent and experience had Seton Hall better positioned than anyone else in the Big East - including Villanova.

My focus would be on the fact that Willard is the guy who got that talent to South Orange and who has kept it there, navigating some rough waters in the first year or two. That’s the biggest part of the job.

Willard’s critics can look at his shortcomings, but the question that has to be asked, “If not him, then who?” His predecessor was a disaster. Louie could coach, but didn’t like to do the recruiting work. Point being that they all have shortcomings - some more than others - and it could be worse. I’ll also note that Willard’s still a pretty young guy who’s still growing as a coach. This experience will make him better. John Wooden didn’t even make the tournament for his first 14 years. (I know, it was harder then.) But once he got there, you couldn’t keep him out or from winning once he got there. Coaches need time to grow professionally just like anyone else.
Bill Marsh

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:58 pm

I think next year is the make or break year for Willard.

Of course, i think it's possible that we see Willard leave on his own doing, knowing the 4 seniors are gone. He's rode them hard- 4 seniors have by KP been on the floor together for 50% of the time, and 3/4 at least 80% of the time. It feels at least somewhat like St John's a few years ago. Not quite as bad but close.
stever20

Postby trublu » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:29 pm

I doubt the FBI gives a hoot about NCAA rules. Their concern is about violation of federal law when it comes to possible fraudulent use of federal funds and interstate corruption.
trublu

Postby EMT » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm

Is it cheating if 50+ hoops programs are doing it?

It sounds more like survival.

These coaches make crazy money that will not be replaced in any other field of work.

Let's say Sean Miller ran it totally by the book at X and lost out on players he wanted but couldn't afford to get. Now he gets a huge raise at AZ and wants to make sure he keeps the job. AND he knows that everyone else is doing it.
EMT

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board