Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby paulxu » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:40 pm

It occurs to me that a single basketball player, who has never produced anything for a school that he enrolls in, has enormous power over (to wreck) the institution...far in excess of anything he could bring the institution.
...he went up late, and I was already up there.
paulxu

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 pm

Just so we are clear. I really don't give two shits about paying the players. If anything, I am ashamed Xavier isn't linked with paying more players more cash. These are kids from primarily poverty-stricken families that are taken advantage of by a bunch of rich old white geezers. So, throw insults all you want, doesn't bother me at all.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby xu2002 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:58 pm

milksteak wrote:Maybe it’s just me, but these coach-agent dinners are pretty damn shady. I really don’t see anything legitimate coming out of them.

Agreed. To be honest, I haven't had time to really get into the details of what is being reported, but when I look at it, there are a few different categories we're dealing with. You have the situation where an agent is meeting with a coach and working to deliver a recruit to that school. On the other hand, you have an agent that starts dealing with a student, after they've enrolled at the school and are looking to obtain their services for life after college.

I'm not trying to minimize the report, but if the bombshell is that a bunch of college kids or the kids parents took a few thousand $'s after they were already enrolled at a school, I don't know what you do there. If you can't prove the school had any knowledge or involvement, I don't know how much you drop the hammer. Given how little the NCAA has been willing to do with much worse evidence, it will be interesting.

I'm more interested to see if there is more out there that is specific to agents working directly with coaches. Obviously we had the assistant coaches brought in before the season started, but will there be more?

I found the following article entertaining: https://deadspin.com/who-gives-a-shit-1823260537
xu2002

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:04 pm

NovaGrad12 wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:Honestly, feeling much safer than X. The only mention about Nova is Kyle Lowry, who finished playing at Nova over a decade ago, and then is only mentioned in reference to a loan on a sheet dated 12/31/15, well after his Nova playing career ended. Same goes for Maalik Wayns, if it's actually him, his name is misspelled on the document. No mention of either one in any article that I see.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Based on the limited info on the sheet we have no idea when the loans were made. All we know is that those loans were on the books as of 12/31/2015. It is likely that those loans weren't made too far in advance of 12/31/2015, but we really can't say for sure at this point. If Lowry received a loan around 2015, I'm curious why he would even need to borrow money while making millions of dollars in the NBA, unless he is not great with his finances which I haven't heard anything about (he just donated $1 million to Nova).

I'm not completely sure of anything when it comes to this mess, but I find it extremely hard to believe that Nova has a whole lot to worry about in regards to Lowry, Wayns, or Pena. Especially since none of them have been students at Nova for a long while, certainly not within this 3 year window everyone is talking about, and I couldn't care less about their current finances.

I'm not even super worried about the "meeting with Villanova coaches" thing, there are hundreds of valid legitimate reasons for a coach to have a meeting like that(if it even happened). None of the major outlets are running with Nova being a big player in all of this, most are focusing on Duke, Michigan St., Kentucky, UNC, etc. Villanova is being mentioned because of our 5 year run of excellence, we're a good name to throw in the mix to get more clicks. Even in regards to Big East schools Seton Hall is getting the most play, followed by Creighton and Xavier. If you want to go all panic mode feel free, until I see something more than a scribbled note on one page of god knows how many of one guys records, I'm not going to get too worked up. I trust Jay and our coaches to not to have gotten involved in any of this stupid shit.
Westbrook#36

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:48 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Just so we are clear. I really don't give two shits about paying the players. If anything, I am ashamed Xavier isn't linked with paying more players more cash. These are kids from primarily poverty-stricken families that are taken advantage of by a bunch of rich old white geezers. So, throw insults all you want, doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks for being honest I guess. But your moral compass has nothing to do with NCAA rules. I may think that hiring a bunch of hookers to entertain recruits is “no big deal” too but the NCAA kind of frowns upon it. In other words whatever you think about what Edmond S. did or whatever I think that the Nova coaches did is of zero importance. But how the NCAA ultimately feels about it could significantly affect the programs that we root for, whether you give one shit or two.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:11 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:Just so we are clear. I really don't give two shits about paying the players. If anything, I am ashamed Xavier isn't linked with paying more players more cash. These are kids from primarily poverty-stricken families that are taken advantage of by a bunch of rich old white geezers. So, throw insults all you want, doesn't bother me at all.

Thanks for being honest I guess. But your moral compass has nothing to do with NCAA rules. I may think that hiring a bunch of hookers to entertain recruits is “no big deal” too but the NCAA kind of frowns upon it. In other words whatever you think about what Edmond S. did or whatever I think that the Nova coaches did is of zero importance. But how the NCAA ultimately feels about it could significantly affect the programs that we root for, whether you give one shit or two.

Point is, any school that gets penalized for paying their players gets a pat on the back from me. Screw the NCAA and the evil, rich assholes running it.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby CoachK » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:44 pm

NovaGrad12 wrote:I'm not even super worried about the "meeting with Villanova coaches" thing, there are hundreds of valid legitimate reasons for a coach to have a meeting like that(if it even happened).

I'm not saying this is or isn't the case, but coaches meeting with agents could be perfectly legal in some situations. For example, let's say Jalen Brunson decides to leave after this season. He meets with Jay Wright, Jay gives it his blessing, and says he'll help him with the process. Brunson narrows it down to 2-3 agents to sign with, and Wright meets one of them for lunch to discuss how they would handle Jalen and whether he thinks it would be a good match.
CoachK

Postby BEwannabe » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:06 pm

Wow Dude, you're out there on this one. If it was a pay to play no limit poker game then Xavier would be screwed because you wouldn't be able to afford the stakes anymore than the Reds can keep up with the Yankees. In X's case and all smaller schools it would be more like the Louisville minor league team trying to keep up with the Yankees.
BEwannabe

Postby sju88grad » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:14 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Point is, any school that gets penalized for paying their players gets a pat on the back from me. Screw the NCAA and the evil, rich assholes running it.

Funny how you were so quick to throw SJU and SH under the bus and declare that all the other programs were "squeaky clean" but now that Xavier has been implicated, you seem to think it's no big deal......very telling....
sju88grad

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board