Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby handdownmandown » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:28 am

From reading this I can't see how some of this is the fault of the institution.

Creighton isn't getting hit with anything, and Summer wasn't getting paid to attend X, he was probably getting an advance on what he'd get coming out.

The Whitehead thing might be a big deal, but the other citations...meh.
handdownmandown

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:31 am

DudeAnon wrote:As someone who finds the NCAA morally reprehensible I couldn't give two shits about paying the players.

That being said, the $7000 from the agent to Sumner was during his spring semester of his sophomore year (academically, freshman athletically). I seriously doubt Xavier had anything to do with it, he had already been on campus for more than a year. Also, Sumner was a 3* recruit and we beat out UMASS to get him. Its likely the dad said he wanted some cash or they were going to look elsewhere so the guy paid him.

I think once a kid has decided to forgo his eligibility—whether that happens while technically still enrolled in that school or not—money from agents is irrelevant. If I got a job offer from a firm while a 2nd semester Sr. that included a signing bonus, why should I not accept it? It is a business transaction. Are these agents slimey for dangling $ in front of these kids who need it? Without question. But, I see little wrong with 2 parties coming to a business agreement on the open market.

Now if the kid receives money and is still playing, we have a much stickier situation that does require oversight IMO.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:41 am

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:As someone who finds the NCAA morally reprehensible I couldn't give two shits about paying the players.

That being said, the $7000 from the agent to Sumner was during his spring semester of his sophomore year (academically, freshman athletically). I seriously doubt Xavier had anything to do with it, he had already been on campus for more than a year. Also, Sumner was a 3* recruit and we beat out UMASS to get him. Its likely the dad said he wanted some cash or they were going to look elsewhere so the guy paid him.

I think once a kid has decided to forgo his eligibility—whether that happens while technically still enrolled in that school or not—money from agents is irrelevant. If I got a job offer from a firm while a 2nd semester Sr. that included a signing bonus, why should I not accept it? It is a business transaction. Are these agents slimey for dangling $ in front of these kids who need it? Without question. But, I see little wrong with 2 parties coming to a business agreement on the open market.

Now if the kid receives money and is still playing, we have a much stickier situation that does require oversight IMO.

Unless I read the dates wrong, this would've been the season Xavier was a 2 seed. He stayed another season after that.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Edrick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:42 am

Seton Hall is screwed with this ASM thing. Those are real dollars that were paid. The circumstances of Whitehead even going to SH in the first place always seemed fishy. That's a string that they don't want pulled on.
Edrick

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:58 am

Chris Mack the only coach to respond publicly so far.

“I have no relationship with Andy Miller or any of his associates. He plays no role in the recruitment of potential student athletes on Xavier’s behalf. Beyond that, our staff has never created a path for him to foster a relationship with any of our student-athletes while enrolled at Xavier. Any suggestion that I or anyone on my staff utilized Andy Miller to provide even the slightest of financial benefits to a Xavier student-athlete is grossly misinformed. We are prepared to cooperate with any and all investigations at any level.”

I honestly am not worried. How are the Nova and Hall fans feeling?
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:22 am

NJ based agent that Whitehead signed with when turning pro, we were all hoping for the best but had a feeling this was coming.

Just note that this was between agent and player and began after Whitehead was enrolled at Seton Hall. The agent wanted to make sure he'd get a 5* freshman as a client. He has no reason to care where the player goes school and there's nothing at this point to suggest the SHU administration had any knowledge/involvement or that this had anything to do with him choosing SHU. The agent would have come after him and the same thing would have happened anywhere. Let's not jump to conclusions beyond the facts just yet

We'd expect Whitehead to retroactively be declared ineligible, which would likely result on losing the BET title.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:30 am

DudeAnon wrote:Chris Mack the only coach to respond publicly so far.

“I have no relationship with Andy Miller or any of his associates. He plays no role in the recruitment of potential student athletes on Xavier’s behalf. Beyond that, our staff has never created a path for him to foster a relationship with any of our student-athletes while enrolled at Xavier. Any suggestion that I or anyone on my staff utilized Andy Miller to provide even the slightest of financial benefits to a Xavier student-athlete is grossly misinformed. We are prepared to cooperate with any and all investigations at any level.”

I honestly am not worried. How are the Nova and Hall fans feeling?

So far it looks like Wayns ($1k) and Lowry ($5k) and perhaps Pena (didn’t see an amount) but it is unclear of when the payment actually happened. Both totals are modest (not that amount should make a big difference) and unless I missed something if this was in the 2015 timeframe like the others, all of those guys were out of Nova playing professionally. So not sure of where the dividing line in this between student/athlete and client.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:33 am

Hall2012 wrote:NJ based agent that Whitehead signed with when turning pro, we were all hoping for the best but had a feeling this was coming.

Just note that this was between agent and player and began after Whitehead was enrolled at Seton Hall. The agent wanted to make sure he'd get a 5* freshman as a client. He has no reason to care where the player goes school and there's nothing at this point to suggest the SHU administration had any knowledge/involvement or that this had anything to do with him choosing SHU. The agent would have come after him and the same thing would have happened anywhere. Let's not jump to conclusions beyond the facts just yet

We'd expect Whitehead to retroactively be declared ineligible, which would likely result on losing the BET title.

The only caveat to that is if Tiny Morton was also mentioned. A staff member on the payroll is not a great look. That’s the part that I hope any BE coaching staff members stayed clear.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby BEhomer » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:35 am

agree with most posts. players getting paid by agents is not news. the breadth of it though may be finally coming to light. I don't really see a problem unless school was involved or had knowledge. which even if they had would be hard to prove.
BEhomer

Postby ChelseaFriar » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:40 am

The Marcus Camby/UMass case is probably a good one to look at for a comparison. Camby was taking shoes, suits, cash and hookers from a wannabe agent from Hartford. He was already at UMass and it was never proven that UMass had any knowledge. UMass had to forfeit the Final 4 appearance and give back $151,000 in NCAA Tourney earnings. Camby took a lot more than most of the guys we are talking about, but similar situations.

https://www.si.com/vault/1997/09/15/231760/tangled-web-marcus-camby-was-both-victim-and-villain-in-his-illicit-dealings-with-agents-while-at-umass
ChelseaFriar

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board