Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby admin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:04 am

herodotus wrote:
Demon22 wrote:Bombshell... Yahoo finally names names.

And those names include Big East schools.

https://sports.yahoo.com/exclusive-fede ... 38484.html

Oh oh!

yikes:

Isaiah Whitehead, at the time a freshman at Seton Hall, received $26,136 according to the documents. The “Pina” document says Whitehead received $37,657 and was “setting up payment plan.” Whitehead signed with ASM but later left the agency for Roc Nation.
admin
Site Admin

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby admin » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:06 am

Also:

Former Xavier player Edmond Sumner and/or his father, Ernest. Documents show they received at least $7,000 in advances while Edmond was in school.

Among the players and/or families who are listed as meeting with or having meals with Dawkins:

Former Creighton player Justin Patton.

Yahoo Sports reached out to a dozen programs tied to the documents late Thursday. Only Xavier coach Chris Mack elected to release a statement. He said: “I have no relationship with Andy Miller or any of his associates. He plays no role in the recruitment of potential student athletes on Xavier’s behalf. Beyond that, our staff has never created a path for him to foster a relationship with any of our student-athletes while enrolled at Xavier. Any suggestion that I or anyone on my staff utilized Andy Miller to provide even the slightest of financial benefits to a Xavier student-athlete is grossly misinformed. We are prepared to cooperate with any and all investigations at any level.”
admin
Site Admin

Postby milksteak » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:39 am

I’m just gonna try and do my best to enjoy this and hope Butler doesn’t show up haha.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby CPJays » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:40 am

So I guess I don't understand how a school is supposed to police their current players meeting with agents. It sounds like none of this involved getting the players actually on campus, at least the Big East mentions, was Creighton supposed to have a handler with JP 24/7 to make sure an agent didn't pay for his meal? Or X tap Sumner's bank account to see if it made an unusual jump?

I get that receiving payments would make the player technically ineligible, but this seems more like an issue that the NCAA and NBA need to figure out as an entire system not at a school by school level.
CPJays

Postby bmorex » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:43 am

My thoughts are this: If you look strictly at the data here, the findings from the ASM agency do not implicate any school on the surface at all. Players have agents (or what are called advisors for NCAA purposes) in every major sport, and those agencies might have zero relationship with the coaches/program/college. All what has been revealed in this article is the agency paying the individual player or family.

Now, the question is did the school or coach foster the relationship? Is there actual evidence of an agent paying a player to go to a school? I don't see that here (yet) but if so, there's your clear violation. If not, then I don't really see how this affects the schools at all, aside from some media/public/rivalry backlash. This article doesn't say anything about the agency funneling the money through/in cahoots with any school. Sports agencies are actively recruiting players, just like college coaches are. They are at HS games and AAU events even when these kids are freshmen if they truly believe that they could make the NBA.

Unless the NCAA or the FBI or whoever can prove their was a relationship between ASM and the individual school or coach or basketball staff, this won't impact any program.
bmorex

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 am

At least this gives Dayton fans something to follow lol
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Edrick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:12 am

Ive heard stories from several different sources about X and mall gift cards going back more than a decade. My response to this is always 'who cares?' you SHOULD be trying to find advantages where you can find them and something so innocuous as that or some of these things in that document aren't going to come back to bite you - because the dollars just look petty.

1000 dollar SIMON gift card looks like something completely different to the internet and a kid who's family uses the school breakfast program.
Edrick

Postby hoyahooligan » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:13 am

bmorex wrote:My thoughts are this: If you look strictly at the data here, the findings from the ASM agency do not implicate any school on the surface at all. Players have agents (or what are called advisors for NCAA purposes) in every major sport, and those agencies might have zero relationship with the coaches/program/college. All what has been revealed in this article is the agency paying the individual player or family.

Now, the question is did the school or coach foster the relationship? Is there actual evidence of an agent paying a player to go to a school? I don't see that here (yet) but if so, there's your clear violation. If not, then I don't really see how this affects the schools at all, aside from some media/public/rivalry backlash. This article doesn't say anything about the agency funneling the money through/in cahoots with any school. Sports agencies are actively recruiting players, just like college coaches are. They are at HS games and AAU events even when these kids are freshmen if they truly believe that they could make the NBA.

Unless the NCAA or the FBI or whoever can prove their was a relationship between ASM and the individual school or coach or basketball staff, this won't impact any program.

Even if they can't prove the programs were involved, which they may not be able to in all cases, but probably will be able to in some. The info in that article would make the players named ineligible which would cause the schools to vacate all games in which they played.
hoyahooligan

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:15 am

As someone who finds the NCAA morally reprehensible I couldn't give two shits about paying the players.

That being said, the $7000 from the agent to Sumner was during his spring semester of his sophomore year (academically, freshman athletically). I seriously doubt Xavier had anything to do with it, he had already been on campus for more than a year. Also, Sumner was a 3* recruit and we beat out UMASS to get him. Its likely the dad said he wanted some cash or they were going to look elsewhere so the guy paid him.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:19 am

hoyahooligan wrote:
Even if they can't prove the programs were involved, which they may not be able to in all cases, but probably will be able to in some. The info in that article would make the players named ineligible which would cause the schools to vacate all games in which they played.

So no BET Championship for SHU in 2016 if indeed true IW was being paid while still playing? Would hate to see something like that happen.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board