Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:45 am

Arizona is daring NCAA to do something about it by playing Deandre Ayton - Jeff Eisenberg, The Dagger - February 25, 2018
Arizona sent a clear and unmistakable message Saturday afternoon when it announced that Deandre Ayton is eligible and will play at Oregon later that night.

The Wildcats are brazenly gambling that the NCAA will not be able to uncover proof that their prized freshman received any money in return for signing last year.

Arizona announced that Sean Miller will not coach at Oregon, but the school did not suspend or fire him. In a surprisingly strongly worded statement released by the university on Saturday, Miller said, “I continue to fully support the University’s efforts to fully investigate this matter and am confident that I will be vindicated.”

ESPNU broadcast of ASU-OSU game falsely claims firing of Sean Miller - Arizona Sports - February 25, 2018

With Sean Miller and Arizona at the Center, College Hoops Scandal Hits New Level of Volatility – Sports Illustrated - February 25, 2018

Professional thing for Sean Miller to do would be step away from Arizona – USA Today - February 25, 2018
Fieldhouse Flyer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kmacker69 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 am

scoscox wrote:
kmacker69 wrote:Should he have know that is a harder question, but I think just like the AZ picture became a lot clearer, so will the rest...

I don't see any way he really could know. Ideally you can police your program, but he can't be expected to know something like this without Sumner's dad explicitly telling him. That's just an unrealistic expectation. There's a decent possibility that Edmond didn't even know, decent possibility the payment never even happened for that matter.

Well then "Bob's your uncle" and there should be nothing for us to talk about and the news will just say everyone is innocent; get on with business as usual. :roll:

Not saying he should have know, or that Sumner even knew, just that y'all are speculating on very little and it might be much better or worse than the direction you are going with the speculation. See what just came out about AZ as an example of the worst case...

You will also notice that I'm not saying that BU stuff doesn't stink, just hoping it doesn't like I hope the rest of the Big East turns up clean! (Minus the blemishes that have surfaced so far.) ;)

BTW, I spent too many deployment alongside British troops and those dudes were cool as shit. "Bob's you uncle" is my favorite saying. They used it to say you're all done or good. (Sometimes sarcastically.) ;)

And damn didn't hear about his brother...
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Okay, okay...I'm guilty. I tried to "buy" LeBron out of HS. He wouldn't take my $5.00. :roll: :lol:
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby EMT » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:08 pm

Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Image

Arizona is daring NCAA to do something about it by playing Deandre Ayton - Jeff Eisenberg, The Dagger - February 25, 2018
Arizona sent a clear and unmistakable message Saturday afternoon when it announced that Deandre Ayton is eligible and will play at Oregon later that night.

The Wildcats are brazenly gambling that the NCAA will not be able to uncover proof that their prized freshman received any money in return for signing last year.

Arizona announced that Sean Miller will not coach at Oregon, but the school did not suspend or fire him. In a surprisingly strongly worded statement released by the university on Saturday, Miller said, “I continue to fully support the University’s efforts to fully investigate this matter and am confident that I will be vindicated.”

ESPNU broadcast of ASU-OSU game falsely claims firing of Sean Miller - Arizona Sports - February 25, 2018

With Sean Miller and Arizona at the Center, College Hoops Scandal Hits New Level of Volatility – Sports Illustrated - February 25, 2018

Professional thing for Sean Miller to do would be step away from Arizona – USA Today - February 25, 2018

This actually isn't even a gamble at this point. If he's guilty, they forfeit all the games he's played this year and they miss the NCAAs. If they sit him and start losing games, they kill their seeding at a minimum. Just play him at this poinr.
EMT

Postby herodotus » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:50 pm

EMT wrote:
Fieldhouse Flyer wrote:Image

This actually isn't even a gamble at this point. If he's guilty, they forfeit all the games he's played this year and they miss the NCAAs. If they sit him and start losing games, they kill their seeding at a minimum. Just play him at this poinr.

Exactly! If this was early November, they'd have a decision to make. At this point, the potential damage is done. There is zero risk in playing him.
herodotus

Postby billybob » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:08 am

I agree there is no risk in playing him. So maybe in 3 years they have to forfeit all their games from this year....big deal. I've never seen the point in making teams forfeit games. They really need to start coming down with the death penalty on teams that had coaches actively participating in paying players. As far as players themselves taking money without the coaches/teams knowledge; I'm not sure what can be done about that.
billybob

Postby admin » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:10 am

More news yesterday with Kansas and NC State. Pretty well detailed stuff that I'm not sure how the schools can deny. But does anyone think the NCAA is going to throw the book at them anymore?

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ball-probe
admin
Site Admin

Postby MADXSTER » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:33 am

I think this last episode will be the NCAA agreeing with the schools in that this was outside the schools realm of compliance. Thus nothing will come of it. Just watch.
MADXSTER

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:25 am

People need to remember that the NCAA is a self-regulating entity. This isn't the SEC taking on Wall St. This is Wall St. taking on Wall St. So don't expect them to do anything that would be a net negative for their own desires.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hall2012 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:03 am

Pure gold from the Kansas PR team right here:

"Earlier today, we learned that the University of Kansas is named as a victim in a federal indictment."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board