Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby XtoDC » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:33 am

herodotus wrote:
CPJays wrote:Feel free to ridicule me for this comment if it blows up in my face, but I kinda see this as ending up a dud. 50 programs will get named doing something wrong, most will lose some old wins that no one really cares about, a some programs will lose a scholarship or two for a few years, maybe a couple get the hammer and we all move on and it doesn't change much.

Look what PSU, Baylor, Louisville, UNC etc have done in their athletic programs that is more morally objectionable than giving guys money that ended up being a lot of nothing in terms of punishment.

Maybe we can brag about being the only conference not breaking any rules like the good Catholics we are.

This will indeed end up being a dud. The problem is that too many powerful programs are involved. If the NCAA tries to come down hard, this will give the P5 the excuse they want to go their own way. While some think that would end up in the courts, I really don't see how. The P5 won't be kicking anyone out, they'll be leaving. The NCAA can still have their tournament, it just won't have Duke, UNC, UK etc. in it. Since the NCAA has no desire to see this happen, they'll come down very lightly on the schools involved, with possibly the coaches taking the brunt of the punishment.
If anyone needs to scared to death, it's the families that took the money. While the FBI is scary, they are nothing compared to the other three letter monster that you can be sure is watching this, the IRS.

Why do people think this? When do the people/organizations in charge that are benefiting the most try to mess with the status quo? The schools with the most influence right now are fine. They make tons of money and they have the most say already. The NCAA takes the fall constantly, the schools that actually make up the NCAA do not.

If the lottery was rigged in such a way that I could always make money off of it, I wouldn't campaign because there might be another scenario where I would make slightly more money but possibly ruin it entirely. That is how the biggest schools are right now, I don't think they want to ditch the NCAA.
XtoDC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Coasterville95 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Shannon Russel (Cincinnati area sports writer) reporting the ncaa denied Louisville’s appeal in all of this.

Reporting that they will have to vacate all games from the 2011/2012 through 2014/2015 seasons. This means they didn’t win the 2013 championship.

And they have to reimburse the ncaa for all the tourney revenue sharing credits in that same time period.

Yikes for them.

Extrapolate that out to 49 more programs if sources are correct. May as well tear up the history books when it comes to the last decades play.
Coasterville95

Postby gtmoBlue » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:55 pm

Let's see...if Nova vacates the last two years...hsmmm?
If Xavier vacates the last 4 years? SH, StJ, and Prov vacate the last 4 years?

Messy indeed. I don't like it. Hope the BE goes unscathed. Nothing worse than backing into vacated titles, rather win'em outright on the court.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby billyjack » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Coasterville95 wrote:Shannon Russel (Cincinnati area sports writer) reporting the ncaa denied Louisville’s appeal in all of this.

Reporting that they will have to vacate all games from the 2011/2012 through 2014/2015 seasons. This means they didn’t win the 2013 championship.

And they have to reimburse the ncaa for all the tourney revenue sharing credits in that same time period.

Yikes for them.

Extrapolate that out to 49 more programs if sources are correct. May as well tear up the history books when it comes to the last decades play.

What does Pitino do about that tattoo he got for winning in 2013?
Providence
billyjack

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:46 pm

billyjack wrote:
What does Pitino do about that tattoo he got for winning in 2013?

Laser removal surgery or keeping shirt on at beach. It looks a bit silly now.

Pitino has tattoo commemorating now-vacated title - USA Today - February 20, 2018
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby scoscox » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:53 pm

This is a result of the hooker scandal not the FBI
scoscox

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Not surprised at all. Louisville did some shady things under Pitino. However, one could argue that, if they had not done those things, they would not have been as successful, and would not have received an invitation to the ACC. I would assume many within the UL administration would have gladly done everything again knowing how it turned out.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:49 pm

I wonder if this turns out to be like the steroid scandal in MLB, where it became so prevalent that they made examples of a few, set some strict rules moving forward, and just tried to move on. I think there are programs that used cash benefits--like Bonds and Big Mac and Sosa used roids--unapologetically thinking that they were just doing what everyone else was, and had to keep up. You have to figure that the kids that seem most probable of making that pros are the Top 25 kids. These are the ones that the shoe companies and agents and AAU coaches and asst. college coaches all target and slobber over. I don't think shoe companies have the cash to give someone like Josh Hart (in the 70-100 range) a bunch of money to go to Nova. That is a bet that is not often going to pay out when placed. And while we've bemoaned why the BE has not been able to land these McD's AA kids in recruiting battles, perhaps now it is proving to be a blessing in disguise.

I can't say with 100 certainty that Nova is 100% clean. I pray they are, but none of us will know for sure until all the info comes out. I can tell you that we lost a TON of recruits, that seemed to be Nova leans, to other programs like Miami, where I was scratching my head wondering how the tide changed so abruptly. Many thought the same when we lost Quinerly the first time to Arizona. Thinking that if Nova had cash to spend, why would we lose players to Miami and Arizona in the 11th hours in the first place?
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Edrick » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:12 pm

The FBI does not equal MLB or the NCAA. This really doesn't have much of a precedent barring, say, the trial in Minneapolis after the Black Sox scandal.

Ultimately, the government cares about both for the same reason. The under-the-table money isn't taxed.

Interestingly about the baseball trial, two very important and lasting things came about as a result. 1. the position of commissioner was created (shadily the first commissioner was the judge in the trial :shock: ) 2. As a direct result of Landis, MLB got the Antitrust Exemption, which remains the most important decision in American sports history. Sports leagues have commissioners as a direct result of the Black Sox. Hi, Val. Thank Shoeless Joe!

But back to this case. There is nothing you can take from situations like UNC or Louisville. It just isn't pertinent. That's just the NCAA doing what the NCAA does. It obviously isn't much because they can neither subpoena you or throw you in jail. The FBI does not have such restriction.
Edrick

Postby FDS » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:43 pm

Do Creighton fans get nervous at all about Epperson being involved in this? Went to La Lumiere HS (same place as Brian Bowen). In spite of it being in Indiana, Butler really doesn’t recruit from there because of apparent shadiness.
Last edited by FDS on Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FDS

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board