Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:36 pm

Damn, this is startin' to get GOOD! Where's my popcorn?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby EMT » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:21 pm

LMS wrote:Brian Bowen Sr claimed in court that Creighton assistant coach Preston Murphy offered him $100k and a good job for his son to attend Creighton. Oh boy.

Terrible move to hire Preston Murphy.
EMT

Postby OmahaGuy » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:50 pm

I've been a diehard Jays fan for 2 decades. This program is heading down the drain real fast. Losing all our best players (except Martin), almost no offseason commitments (except for Cashaw and Mitchell but expect him to decommit soon), bad coach, and now this.....sorry, but this program is over. Even if (miraculously) we end up ok, it still a horrible look for the program that will drive away recruits.
OmahaGuy

Postby MUBoxer » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:13 am

OmahaGuy wrote:I've been a diehard Jays fan for 2 decades. This program is heading down the drain real fast. Losing all our best players (except Martin), almost no offseason commitments (except for Cashaw and Mitchell but expect him to decommit soon), bad coach, and now this.....sorry, but this program is over. Even if (miraculously) we end up ok, it still a horrible look for the program that will drive away recruits.

I don't think it'll drive away recruits if they're looking to get paid.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:19 am

Creighton is going down the drain? Haven't they been ranked at least 2 of the last 4-5 years and finished in the top half of the conference every year? Sorry, but that's like a millionaire complaining he "only" makes 2 million a year to a guy who makes 30k a year lol. Nothing is going to happen to anyone we already know this. I'm actually more impressed that Creighton has that kind of dough to throw around. You guys will be fine.
MullinMayhem

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:03 am

Clearly, I have homer point of view...so take it with a grain of salt.

If Bowen's dad was granted immunity (which he was) for his testimony, then the feds knew what he was going to say on the witness stand, right? (any lawyers in the house?). In fact, he probably also said the same things in a deposition, right? So he implicated Creighton (via Dawkins' statements to him) and yet the feds have not contacted Creighton.

It sucks that we've been brought into this (welcome to the big time) but struggling with the plausibility. He had better offers from Oklahoma State and Creighton (at CU, he presumably would have gotten $100k, a lucrative job for Daddy, plus the chance to get minutes right away) , but Dawkins was still shopping him in June.

I think it's more likely Dawkins was blowing smoke up Daddy Bowen's arse to make it appear he was a "player" and ready to be Bowen's agent when he turned pro.
Savannah Jay

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:48 am

Luv'in it! Ole OmahaGuy throwing his school and team under the train. A loyal Creightonian. The boards in the Big O are a-buzzin with chatter. The negative Nancy's are havin' a fieldday with scenario building. Gotta luv it.

As for the more even handed and moderate folks the watchwords are"Dawkins' credibility, whether he was blowin' smoke up Dad's rear, and let's see some evidence please", as I pop more corn and freshen up my gin and blue juice.

As a true believer, I rest assured that the Jays are clean, but loving the press and coverages. Any so-called smear to the brand is outweighed by the weight of the name recognition and the negative association(s) will die over time. The Jays will get millions of dollars in press and PR out of this. Recruits will be clamoring for spots on the roster. Not the ideal way to join the bigtime, but by any means necessary - i suppose. Crank up the spin merchants on the Hilltop...attack the accusation...use the media to our advantage. This is not the time to be passive as such press/PR exposure is worth a gold mine. The Jays should be workin' this opportunity with gusto. Build the brand.

I may have to switch to Nachos and cheese dip for a while...Luvin' it!
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:25 am

The FBI is no joke. If they say Creighton offered 100k then I believe it. Can never predict the NCAA, and Creightins AD has connections. But i could see a postseason ban and scholarship reductions for a few years.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby billyjack » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:34 am

gtmoBlue wrote:Luv'in it! Ole OmahaGuy throwing his school and team under the train. A loyal Creightonian. The boards in the Big O are a-buzzin with chatter. The negative Nancy's are havin' a fieldday with scenario building. Gotta luv it.

As for the more even handed and moderate folks the watchwords are"Dawkins' credibility, whether he was blowin' smoke up Dad's rear, and let's see some evidence please", as I pop more corn and freshen up my gin and blue juice.

As a true believer, I rest assured that the Jays are clean, but loving the press and coverages. Any so-called smear to the brand is outweighed by the weight of the name recognition and the negative association(s) will die over time. The Jays will get millions of dollars in press and PR out of this. Recruits will be clamoring for spots on the roster. Not the ideal way to join the bigtime, but by any means necessary - i suppose. Crank up the spin merchants on the Hilltop...attack the accusation...use the media to our advantage. This is not the time to be passive as such press/PR exposure is worth a gold mine. The Jays should be workin' this opportunity with gusto. Build the brand.

I may have to switch to Nachos and cheese dip for a while...Luvin' it!

Funny, i agree with gtmo, especially his quote " Any so-called smear to the brand is outweighed by the weight of the name recognition and the negative association(s) will die over time. The Jays will get millions of dollars in press and PR out of this."

Not ideal of course, but it's probably a long-term PR positive to be shown to have enormous resources and be in the same group as Louisville, Oklahoma State and the rest. You still can recruit fine with the 17k sellouts and the Big East name. (It kinda helps DePaul too, showing that someone there is actually ambitious and gives enough of a shit to cheat).

And I think I might have been the guy here on this site to compare the Creighton ceiling to that of Syracuse, so this Bowen thing follows the Orangeman template.

As a side thought, Creighton didn't need Bowen anyway, since you guys have Alexander and Mintz. Why go through the headache of chasing Bowen?

Anyway, no biggie.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:40 am

DudeAnon wrote:The FBI is no joke. If they say Creighton offered 100k then I believe it. Can never predict the NCAA, and Creightins AD has connections. But i could see a postseason ban and scholarship reductions for a few years.

The FBI isn't the one saying Creighton offered the kid money. It's Bowen's dad, who was told by Dawkins that Creighton offered. Dawkins is one of the guys on trial.

Supposedly, the FBI has thousands of hours of wiretaps (remember when news broke this spring that the FBI had Sean Miller on tape discussing DeAndre Ayton?) and hasn't even contacted Creighton, even though the trial is going on right now.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board