Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:16 pm

Sounds like Sean Miller got some 'splaining to do.
ArmyVet

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:18 pm

While I'd like to agree with you about Sean Miller...He's bigger than UA, he's untouchable. The NCAA will crush Northern Arizona, Flagstaff for his sins.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:23 pm

In court today it was revealed that Creighton assistant Preston Murphy was filmed accepting $6k to funnel clients. And he was wearing a Creighton shirt in the video.

Safe to assume his career in finished?
ArmyVet

Postby Jet915 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:26 pm

ArmyVet wrote:In court today it was revealed that Creighton assistant Preston Murphy was filmed accepting $6k to funnel clients. And he was wearing a Creighton shirt in the video.

I hope so....
Jet915

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Jet915 wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:In court today it was revealed that Creighton assistant Preston Murphy was filmed accepting $6k to funnel clients. And he was wearing a Creighton shirt in the video.

I hope so....

Surprised it hasn’t happened today. As far as his “crimes”, they had no bearing on CU as far as recruiting so I don’t think we get sanctions of any kind, but it sure is despicable to put his own interests ahead of his players.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby cu blujs » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:22 am

I can't fathom why he hasn't been let go, yet. Not a good look. Its not like no one knew about this until this week. We knew the video existed 2 months ago. Maybe we are waiting for school to be done or to just let his contract run out in a month or so. I really don't know. But, the window where good assistants are looking for new opportunities at the end of the season, whether to move up or to move on because coaching staffs were terminated, has mostly closed by now. Or, maybe it will come out after the trial he was a clandestine double agent working for the feds.
cu blujs

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:31 am

Emanuel "Book" Richardson

This very lengthy article is well worth a read:

Did a $250K-a-year assistant hoops coach go broke paying recruits? - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports - April 30, 2019
In 2017, Emanuel “Book” Richardson was having a conversation with his friend, Christian Dawkins, where Dawkins basically called Richardson an idiot.

Richardson was making nearly $250,000 a year as an assistant coach for the University of Arizona basketball team, yet he was still essentially broke.

On the FBI recording, Richardson, the married father of three, agreed the problem wasn’t what he was spending on himself, it was what he was spending on recruits, families and handlers so they would sign with Arizona. Now, that was expensive. Then, Dawkins noted, Richardson didn’t even cash in when the player turned professional and signed with sports agents and financial planners, who are more than willing to either pay Richardson for his access to players, or cover his upfront recruiting costs.

Richardson acknowledged he’d been stupid. He explained he thought using his own money was the best way to keep things tight and, if any allegations arose, “It’s their word against mine.”

Now, though, he was interested in sharing the burden. He said he'd even tapped into retirement accounts for recruiting costs. “He was using his personal money to fund his recruiting,” Munish Sood, a financial advisor who was one of Dawkins’ partners, testified on Monday.

Even by the absurd standards of college athletics, the concept of a top-level assistant coach claiming financial woes because landing recruits is such an expensive proposition was a rather astounding moment. That it occurred in the middle of a federal trial made it even more surreal.

Richardson's story should humiliate everyone in college athletics. To have a job with a national power such as Arizona, Richardson needed to land top recruits. Yet to land top recruits, and keep them happy while on campus, Richardson needed money. And so it seems like everything was a scheme.

“Where do you put it?” Richardson said. “Because you can’t put the money under your mattress. Now you’re dealing with the alphabet boys, not the NCAA, the DEA, the CIA.” He didn’t know that it was a different bunch of letters, the FBI, that was recording him at the time.
Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby Fieldhouse Flyer » Wed May 01, 2019 6:12 am

Today is a big day in the ongoing Corruption Case:

Will Christian Dawkins take stand in his own defense at hoops scandal trial? - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports – May 1, 2019
NEW YORK — Sometime Wednesday morning, the government is expected to rest its case in the basketball corruption trial of Christian Dawkins and Merl Code. The feds are rarely defeated, especially in the Southern District of New York.

Christian Dawkins is already going to prison and the sentence if convicted in this case may be of similar length and run concurrent.

In short, there may be very little, if anything, to lose for Dawkins. Taking the stand, telling his story and hoping the jury sides with him might be worth a shot.

If so, well, buckle up.

His attorney, Steve Haney, said Tuesday that no final decision has been made but if Dawkins takes the stand this entire thing can shift in a hurry.

“Yeah, I think … it’s going to be more money than what Book said,” Dawkins said on the recording. “I mean, because, I talk to Sean, Sean’s the one that fronted that deal. So it’s going to be some money, but, I mean, we’ll figure it out.”

Presumably, the conversation Dawkins is referencing with Sean Miller has also been recorded since Dawkins’ phone was tapped by the FBI during the summer of 2017. Dawkins could argue it should be played since it has already been referenced.

Fieldhouse Flyer

Postby ArmyVet » Wed May 01, 2019 12:02 pm

ArmyVet wrote:Sounds like Sean Miller got some 'splaining to do.

Alleged that Miller himself paid Deandre Ayton and Rawle Alkins. And reading all this has to make Nova fans happy that they are out of the Quinerly mess.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-wiretap-mi ... --nba.html
ArmyVet

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed May 01, 2019 1:41 pm

ArmyVet wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:Sounds like Sean Miller got some 'splaining to do.

Alleged that Miller himself paid Deandre Ayton and Rawle Alkins. And reading all this has to make Nova fans happy that they are out of the Quinerly mess.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fbi-wiretap-mi ... --nba.html

Today should be interesting with Dawkins taking the stand.

Re: Miller, not to defend the guy, but throughout this trial Dawkins mentions all the times he talked to Sean Miller. We know the feds had Dawkins' phone tapped. Where are the tapes of him actually talking to Miller? About anything? Most of the testimony I've seen is Richardson and Dawkins talking to each other (except for Wade's strong ass offer!).

Regarding our boy Murphy, on Friday the defense team pointed out that Murphy was talking about taking the $6,000 to direct a player named "Marcus Phillips" to sign with Dawkins agency. We all know that Creighton didn't have a player by that name. Not sure what will come of that but it's probably why Murphy hasn't been charged with a crime (pure speculation on my part).
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board