Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:04 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The FBI is no joke. If they say Creighton offered 100k then I believe it. Can never predict the NCAA, and Creightins AD has connections. But i could see a postseason ban and scholarship reductions for a few years.

Agreed. But 1st you must PROVE the allegations. ;) Hmmm, scholie reductions...that would give our legions of "walk-ons" a shot at PT! Democratic PT. What a concept. :D

PS - to Billyjack: Needed to land another 5-star. None since Patton (and he was only a Scout 5-star, to boot). Gotta keep up with all youse guys.
PPS: Thanks to Brian and the Bowen family, the Jays will be in the news all year. Now, if we can get Barney Fife and the rest of the PR dept. crackin', we can make a few tons of great PR out of this deal. ;)
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Even if they prove that there was an offer, is there any reason for the FBI to go after Creighton when no cash actually exchanged hands? The NCAA won't be able to do anything unless someone voluntarily offers information (the FBI doesn't have to give them anything from this case either), and given that there's no threat of subpoena power or jail time, I can't imagine that anyone involved on Creighton's side would end up talking. So whether or not there was an offer, I don't think this amounts to anything other than speculation.
Irishdawg

Postby ProprietyofLeyluken » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Irishdawg wrote:Even if they prove that there was an offer, is there any reason for the FBI to go after Creighton when no cash actually exchanged hands? The NCAA won't be able to do anything unless someone voluntarily offers information (the FBI doesn't have to give them anything from this case either), and given that there's no threat of subpoena power or jail time, I can't imagine that anyone involved on Creighton's side would end up talking. So whether or not there was an offer, I don't think this amounts to anything other than speculation.

I can certainly understand the “circle the wagons” mentality.

Nevertheless, I’m sure I’m not alone in my initial assumption that no school from this conference would be brought up in this FBI mess.
It is an unprecedented investigation and I’m not sure any of us can be sure what will happen to Creighton.
Their admin already took it serious enough to release a statement.
Tbh, I don’t like it. Nothing good will come of this.
It’s doubtful that Bowen just chose to slander a school at random, so at the very least it’s a reasonable presumption that certain Jays have accepted offers (even if Bowen didnt)
That’s a dangerous piece of knowledge, considering the fact that they’ll probably compare notes (I’m sure $100K has to be on the high end, so that may cause contention with players who feel they’re on the cheap).
If you watch the 30-for-30 called Pony Excess, you’ll see a cautionary tale on paid players who aren’t quite satisfied with their “deals”..
Again, I don’t think any of us know what could happen here, only that it’s most definitely not a good thing.

I wonder if Val Ackerman is going to address this. She should. For other teams in the conference, I could see there being some contention.
ProprietyofLeyluken

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:20 pm

ProprietyofLeyluken wrote:
Nevertheless, I’m sure I’m not alone in my initial assumption that no school from this conference would be brought up in this FBI mess.
It is an unprecedented investigation and I’m not sure any of us can be sure what will happen to Creighton.
It’s doubtful that Bowen just chose to slander a school at random, so at the very least it’s a reasonable presumption that certain Jays have accepted offers (even if Bowen didnt)
That’s a dangerous piece of knowledge, considering the fact that they’ll probably compare notes (I’m sure $100K has to be on the high end, so that may cause contention with players who feel they’re on the cheap).
If you watch the 30-for-30 called Pony Excess, you’ll see a cautionary tale on paid players who aren’t quite satisfied with their “deals”..
Again, I don’t think any of us know what could happen here, only that it’s most definitely not a good thing.

I wonder if Val Ackerman is going to address this. She should. For other teams in the conference, I could see there being some contention.

You make some significant assumptions here. I am not sure how much you've read about this but Bowen Sr. didn't "slander" anyone. He was relaying what one of the defendants told him. I actually believe Bowen told the truth. It's Dawkins' word that I question. He wanted to be a big time agent. So he talks big to the old man like he has a bunch of offers for Jr's services to give dad the impression he would make a good agent when the kid turns pro. Doesn't mean any of it actually happened.

Remember, Dawkins is not only a defendant in this but he also got fired from Miller's agency for charging $42,000 in Uber rides to Elfrid Payton's credit card. Do you really want to hang your hat on that dude's word? Apparently you do and then make the assumption that a bunch of players at CU have already been paid and "wait till they start comparing notes?" You cannot be serious.

Maybe someone has a wiretap and I will be proven wrong but relying on the word of a thief/crook to paint a broad brush of guilt across individuals that haven't had a whiff of impropriety to this point seems premature.
Savannah Jay

Postby hortle » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:26 pm

bowen is the only guy that fits the "he is getting paid" profile for CU recruits. lets think back to 2014 creighton recruiting and onward...leon gilmore, ronnie harrell, cole huff, mo watson, marcus foster, justin patton, kaleb joseph, ballock, tyshon alexander. these are our most visible/high profile recruits since starting in the BE. all of them fit into buckets that would suggest there's no incentive for CU to try and pay them. Either 1. not shown enough competitive interest from other programs, 2. felt loyalty to CU due to us being in on their recruitment much earlier than other top programs, or 3. they were a transfer and long separated from AAU/agent-types, and only concerned with getting a lot of playing time on a good team.

when this scandal broke I figured that bowen would be the one guy to bite our coaches in the ass. i'd be real surprised and upset if anyone else on the team has gotten paid under the table.
hortle

Postby jfan » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:13 pm

ProprietyofLeyluken wrote:
Irishdawg wrote:Even if they prove that there was an offer, is there any reason for the FBI to go after Creighton when no cash actually exchanged hands? The NCAA won't be able to do anything unless someone voluntarily offers information (the FBI doesn't have to give them anything from this case either), and given that there's no threat of subpoena power or jail time, I can't imagine that anyone involved on Creighton's side would end up talking. So whether or not there was an offer, I don't think this amounts to anything other than speculation.

I can certainly understand the “circle the wagons” mentality.

The FBI has already charged 4 Assistant coaches in this case. If they had anything concrete on Preston Murphy, they probably would have charged him. This isn't to say that nothing happened, only time will tell. I don't think that it is a reasonable presumption to suggest that other Creighton players received money because of the Bowen situation. As was pointed out above, Bowen is the only player that Creighton has recruited that would fit the pay for play profile. Our AD issued a statement today that Creighton's own investigation did not reveal any evidence of wrongdoing in the recruitment of Bowen. Could someone be lying to the investigators? Of course. But I don't know what Val Ackerman or anyone else could say other than they are monitoring the situation. At this point, until the facts become clearer, I think everything else is just unhelpful speculation. I will say, as a Creighton fan, it is a very unfortunate for Creighton to be mentioned in this mess, but I think almost all the other major conferences have a least one team that has been mentioned. Dawkins may have been lying to Bowen Sr. and Creighton may not have done anything wrong. I hope that is the case, but who knows what happened. The sooner things get clarified the better, but I think it will take some time. We may never know what happened unless there are tapes because, as far as I know, no other witnesses have corroborated Bowen Sr's testimony.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:06 pm

The more I think about the claim of Creighton offering 100K...the more preposterous it sounds. Young Dawkins ain't Catholic and doesn't know Catholic tradition.
Public schools may give up blood money yes, but a Catholic, JESUIT school...nawwwwww!

The Jebbies Might, might i say, give you a glass of wine on Friday evening and a bite of cheese. But Money? Hell, no!
You've got to remember the Jebbies are tight, "Keep your friends close, and your money closer."
Those cheap SOB's wouldn't let go of $1, let alone thousands...

And watch your wallet around the Jebbies, as they are notorious for being pickpockets.

Creighton (or any Jesuit school) giving up 100K? No way in hell. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby BEwannabe » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:44 pm

my understanding of these deals were the shoe companies via school intermediary (in Arizona's case supposedly Book Richardson) . So if you have a wheel, place at the top of the wheel shoe companies and you have an arrow running right (shoe company sending sponsorship $$'s go to schools), arrow left (shoe company sending $$'s thru intermediary to athlete's family). School offers athlete scholarship and gets commitment based on pay.

It was also assumed the paid $$'s were first step in athlete long term show sponsorship after they're drafted and paid. A loan of sort!

So the Jesuits don't know the money is being distributed
BEwannabe

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:04 pm

BEwannabe wrote:my understanding of these deals were the shoe companies via school intermediary (in Arizona's case supposedly Book Richardson) . So if you have a wheel, place at the top of the wheel shoe companies and you have an arrow running right (shoe company sending sponsorship $$'s go to schools), arrow left (shoe company sending $$'s thru intermediary to athlete's family). School offers athlete scholarship and gets commitment based on pay.

It was also assumed the paid $$'s were first step in athlete long term show sponsorship after they're drafted and paid. A loan of sort!

So the Jesuits don't know the money is being distributed

So you're saying Nike paid...? But Adidas is the company on trial here. Not likely that Nike would offer anything for a school in their bottom tier(Cr8n) of contracts. Arizona, Oregon, or other top tier school - yes.
Let's all wait on that Nike trial.

You left out an arrow: Bottom arrow; Nike refuses to get involved because the school is too low on Nike's list of important client-schools.

As stated a few posts earlier: Since 2014 Creighton has recruited 8 HS players of note, none are in the "pay for play" category. Creighton has also picked up 7 transfers (including Damien Jefferson), none are "pay for play" guys. (Includes the 2018 crew in both groups)

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby adoraz » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:28 am

Meh, I thought this was going to be a big deal a year ago when this started.

Now there are dozens of seemingly guilty teams and not a single NCAA penalty. The trials are way too public for the NCAA to punish a team or two as scapegoats. They'd need to punish everyone which isn't happening.

Definitely glad my Johnnies haven't been found guilty of anything yet, but still even if I were a Jays fan I wouldn't be that concerned.

I can't picture a scenario where the NCAA bans 1/3+ of all major teams from the Tournament.
Johnnies
adoraz

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board