Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby MakScratcher3 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:44 pm

sju88grad wrote:Funny how you were so quick to throw SJU and SH under the bus and declare that all the other programs were "squeaky clean" but now that Xavier has been implicated, you seem to think it's no big deal......very telling....

Dude is a clown.
MakScratcher3

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby adoraz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm fine with SJU not making the tournament this particular year. Seems everything will get vacated anyways.

Even before the season started when our hopes were still high, the FBI investigation really put a damper on expectations.

So Xavier, Nova, Creighton, Seton Hall named. All to varying degrees, but lets not kid ourselves as this is only the beginning. 40% of the league. Probably the other 60% will be exposed soon anyways.

No clue how the NCAA will handle this one...
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby XtoDC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:57 pm

I was pretty disappointed about most of the information that is coming out. Disappointed from a hype point of view, not at what has transpired. The amounts all seem pretty small, quite a few of the things don't automatically mean a violation took place, and a lot of it seems like there is a very good chance the coaches didn't even know it was going on. I was expecting to see some concrete info about coaches, shoe companies, and agents colluding together to get money to players to attend certain schools.

From Xavier's perspective it sucks to be in the report, but based on the information that has come out I don't know what the coaching staff really could have done. It looks like Ed's dad met with the agent up in Detroit to receive the loan and the promise that Ed would sign with that agency once he went pro. Not sure how Mack could have prevented that, but there is a decent chance now that quite a few wins will be vacated. I guess the good news is that Ed was out for the Elite Eight run.
XtoDC

Postby Demon22 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:09 pm

DudeAnon wrote:Point is, any school that gets penalized for paying their players gets a pat on the back from me. Screw the NCAA and the evil, rich assholes running it.

Also, screw any coach and/or Athletic Department that's tried to run a clean program and couldn't compete with the cheaters, right? Bunch of suckers.
Demon22

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:14 pm

No collusion: no penalty (Trump vindicated)
Mom/Dad greased palms: Nada up to forfeiting games played, return of NCAA Credit money (and cancellation of the remaining years- Total $1.4-1.6 Mill USD) ouch.
Univ Staff involved: New coaches coming up.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby pki1998 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:28 pm

DudeAnon you are out in left field on this one.

Let's be honest this is bad for college basketball, the Big East and especially the teams already named. I can't believe this is the only agent to engage in the behavior. Even if no other Big East teams are named, it's still bad for the conference.

I will also say there is a big difference between a player getting cash from an agent to sign with an agent, then hiring hookers, getting shoe companies to bride them to come to a specific school, or any situation where a coach/university employee facilitates some questionable cash transaction. That being said it's still a major violation and schools have to figure away to make sure it doesn't happen. Otherwise it's a lack of institutional control. My problem is what policies / controls can they put in place to stop it? I really don't know? It would be one thing if you had someone getting hundreds of thousands of dollars. Their behavior would change and you should be able to see the change. Does 7k really change anyone's life and behaviors enough that a coach would or should have known?

It would be great if they worked with the NBA to help solve some of these issues. Personally I would like the NBA to do the following:

1) Have each NBA Team own or go into agreement with a D league team. This would create a true minor league like baseball has.
2) Eliminate the One and Done rule altogether. If your good enough to go straight to NBA from high school, then you should be able too. Absence a total reversal of one and done rule. Allow players to play in the D league their first year out of high school.
3) Limit the D league to players 26 and under. With an exception for rehab assignments
4) Make the D league salary minimum fo under 21 equal to the Medium US household income, Under 21 Max income in D league should be NBA Min. all others twice the NBA Min. Max salaries would exclude rehab assignments
5) roster sizes could be increased to 15 which would allow 50+ high schoolers to make the jump to the D league every year
6) NBA to develope an agent cerfication program, only agents that are registered and have annual audits performed on them will be eligible to represent NBA and D league players. Try to make this an international process that will include all major international leagues

In addition the NCAA should make the following changes

1) Minimum Academic standards should be raised
2) Scholarships should be guaranteed for four years. As long as players meet minimum behavior standards (grades, legal/ethical troubles, effort (not performance) in games and practice)
3) increase access to insurance for athletic career ending injuries
4) Scholarship limits based on graduation rates
5) Develope suggestive policies and controls that if membership institutions adopted they would be granted safe harbor from the actions of rouge individuals
6) remove school level sponsorship by athletic companies either do not allow logos on uniforms or have a all ncaa uniform contract.

These changes would dramatically change the compliance environment
Xavier
pki1998

Postby Edrick » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:31 pm

adoraz wrote:So Xavier, Nova, Creighton, Seton Hall named. All to varying degrees, but lets not kid ourselves as this is only the beginning. 40% of the league. Probably the other 60% will be exposed soon anyways..

LOL.....no

If there is one thing that I would bet my retirement on that I have no control of is that Butler will ever be cited for some compliance thing.

They basically have a brand around it. It would be bad for brand equity to even have a vague appearance of something improper. Stevens, in particular, would go to great lengths to comply to things that aren't even rules - uber compliance
Edrick

Postby adoraz » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:42 pm

Edrick wrote:
adoraz wrote:So Xavier, Nova, Creighton, Seton Hall named. All to varying degrees, but lets not kid ourselves as this is only the beginning. 40% of the league. Probably the other 60% will be exposed soon anyways..

LOL.....no

If there is one thing that I would bet my retirement on that I have no control of is that Butler will ever be cited for some compliance thing.

They basically have a brand around it. It would be bad for brand equity to even have a vague appearance of something improper. Stevens, in particular, would go to great lengths to comply to things that aren't even rules - uber compliance

I mean I hope you're right, but I think it's naive to believe any program recruiting 4 star players is definitely clean. Even if everyone on campus tries to run a clean program, you can have a player doing stuff without the staff knowing, and thus vacating wins.

None of us really know anything about this. DePaul is probably the safest judging by their recruiting. Butler I'd say is second safest.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby kmacker69 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:23 pm

I don't worry about Stevens of Jordan at all! But with the width and breadth of this scandal, a little hair on the back of my neck stands up a little when I think of Holtman's recruiting... :|
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby bobpp1 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:07 pm

It will be interesting to see if Willard will be on the hot seat. I always thought something fishy was going on with the Whitehead deal. Maybe time to bring back home Danny Hurley. The guy has done an incredible job at Rhody.
bobpp1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board