Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Report: Corruption Case Threatens 50+ Hoops Programs

Postby scoscox » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:17 pm

kmacker69 wrote:
paulxu wrote:
Irishdawg wrote:I'm not going to pretend that couldn't happen at Butler, but I just don't see the level of player that is coming up on these reports at Butler since Hayward and Mack. The car loan situation is completely different. People, especially at a small campus like Butler, notice something like that, and there's no way the coaching staff doesn't find out about it unless they're leasing a mid 2000s Toyota Camry, and kids in general aren't smart enough to avoid renting an awesome car vs. a practical one that well if the money's coming in.

You missed his point. He noted that if a kid's "father" got a loan for a car, how would anything that the coaches/school were doing stop this from happening.
In fact, that may be exactly the Xavier/Sumner issue. Edmond Sumner's father apparently got $7000 from an agent (or runner) in Detroit, while Sumner was busy playing Villanova at the Cintas Center that same day.
I hope Chris Mack is clean and not dirty. I think he is. But how does he control the agent giving Sumner's dad money?

He doesn't... He tells Sumner to tell his dad to give it back or I self report and you no longer play for this team. Should he have know that is a harder question, but I think just like the AZ picture became a lot clearer, so will the rest... Hypothetical scenarios are fun, but you might end up eating your words like a lot of AZ fans just had to. :oops:

Can’t tell sumner to self report if you have no idea it ever happened
scoscox

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby kmacker69 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:57 pm

Should he have know that is a harder question, but I think just like the AZ picture became a lot clearer, so will the rest...

Can’t tell sumner to self report if you have no idea it ever happened[/quote]

I took out some so maybe you don't get lost and see where I addressed that possibility.
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:15 pm

"It starts with our coaches, and then you ask how the NCAA has handled it,"

"I would like to see institutions take the lead and show true leadership and stand up for something. But I don't have a lot of confidence we're going to see that. We'll all just blame the NCAA and the media" - Fox, Georgia Bulldogs HC

Finally someone said it. All this blaming the NCAA. The NCAA is nothing. NCAA is composed of members. If the members are corrupt, why does the NCAA get the blame? It's such a cop out. Its time for Universities to hold their coaching staff and administrators to a higher standard. Its sad what happens in the college athletics. The game we love to watch and spend so much time chatting about.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby kmacker69 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:25 pm

AZ sits the coach for talking about paying a kid 100K, but is playing the kid that got 100K?!?! Wait, What? :shock: :lol: We really need the puke emoji for this one!
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby BlueDog » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 pm

kmacker69 wrote:Should he have know that is a harder question, but I think just like the AZ picture became a lot clearer, so will the rest...

I took out some so maybe you don't get lost and see where I addressed that possibility.

Please explain how Mack would know that Sumner's dad was paid $7000 by an agent. The only way he would know is either (a) Sumner told him or (b) he directed the agent to make the payment. Highly doubtful either of those happened, if they did Mack and X have a major problem.

I guess I should throw out possibility (c) which is apparently what you think should happen - Mack hires private detectives to follow all relatives of players and recruits 24/7 for the duration of their involvement with the program. Is that what Butler does?
Go X!
BlueDog

Postby Xudash » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:58 pm

BlueDog wrote:
kmacker69 wrote:Should he have know that is a harder question, but I think just like the AZ picture became a lot clearer, so will the rest...

Please explain how Mack would know that Sumner's dad was paid $7000 by an agent. The only way he would know is either (a) Sumner told him or (b) he directed the agent to make the payment. Highly doubtful either of those happened, if they did Mack and X have a major problem.

I guess I should throw out possibility (c) which is apparently what you think should happen - Mack hires private detectives to follow all relatives of players and recruits 24/7 for the duration of their involvement with the program. Is that what Butler does?

Some Butler fans seem to want to mimic desperate VD fans. It's pretty sad, really.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby kmacker69 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:11 pm

BlueDog wrote:

Reading is fundamental: SHOULD HE HAVE KNOW IS A HARDER QUESTION! Speculate all you want, but leave me out of your insecure little delusions! :roll: It's all just crazy speculation and conjecture by you, I only said that if he knew, what he should have done by rule, to a question you asked. I have neither accused nor speculated whether he knew or not because it would be pure conjecture. ;)
(In case you really have problems with words: conjecture is an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.) :lol:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby scoscox » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:20 pm

I don't see any way he really could know. Ideally you can police your program, but he can't be expected to know something like this without Sumner's dad explicitly telling him. That's just an unrealistic expectation. There's a decent possibility that Edmond didn't even know, decent possibility the payment never even happened for that matter.
scoscox

Postby BEXU » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:50 pm

I think Ed and his Dad have other pressing issues since his brother just died.
BEXU

Postby MullinMayhem » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:07 pm

Let's be real...this won't really do that much. Because so many schools are implicated, they will get a slap on the wrist...maybe some vacated wins. Maybe take a scholarship away. But can't see more happening...they want no part of disciplining UNC, Duke, Texas, etc. The only team I think should be worried in our conference is Seton Hall. We all knew it was shady when Whitehead was all SJ up until the final hours when Seton Hall paid him 37k and hired his coach and paid him too. Seton Hall loses a ton next year and this may cost Willard his job. Not a good look.
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board