(3) Big East Games- Wed. 2/14/17

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Big East Games- Wed. 2/14/17

Postby Friarsfan94 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:58 am

billyjack wrote:The DePaul vs St John's game was really good. A ton of lead changes all night. Ok, Marin Maric is my least favorite Blue Demon. He throws a lot of "inadvertent" elbows with flailing arms and Bill Laimbeer type sneaky antics. Tried to trip a guy going baseline, got whistled but could've been a flagrant. Early season i remember late in their game at Xavier, Tyrique Jones knocked him into the front row past the cheerleaders... Maric had probably earlier been pulling his bulls--t with Tyrique.

Also, a general comment... i really dislike the recent fake head-bobbing that's becoming common to try to draw fake fouls. I'm not going to name names, but two guys are on notice. I mean c'mon, that's ACC stuff.

Now get off my lawn.

Oh oh oh! I wanna play! Does one of these two players go to their barber and ask for the “deranged, uneven, make my head look like a palm tree” hairstyle? And then shoot threes, land on the ground, literally 2 hand push themselves off their defender after landing and fall backwards to the ground? You know, kinda like this...?
https://mobile.twitter.com/brendonjenni ... twterm%5E1
Friarsfan94

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Musketeer22 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 pm

Long time lurker but had to register for this one...

The two guys who have perfected the head bob to draw a foul...

Trevon Bluiett
Andrew Rowsey

Where's my prize?
Musketeer22

Postby mpwalsh8 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:
kayako wrote:Good game Friars. Not gonna get too upset by a road loss in this conference. Doing so is nothing more than disrespecting the other team. I do believe Nova will be fired up and ready for Xavier Saturday :D

3-20 from 3 and 19 TO's isn't going to get it done on the road in this conference. I also expect a much better performance against X on Sat. Don't forget we haven't lost back to back games in 5 years.

I would think that stat is very much at risk this weekend. VU is going to have to play a whole lot better than the team has in their last three games to beat X on the road this weekend.
mpwalsh8

Postby mpwalsh8 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 pm

kayako wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:3-20 from 3 and 19 TO's isn't going to get it done on the road in this conference. I also expect a much better performance against X on Sat. Don't forget we haven't lost back to back games in 5 years.

Xavier D is exactly what this team needs to get out of this shooting funk :lol:

On the Wednesday 2/14 edition of his College Basketball Talk Rob Dauster noted that X is #2 in conference game defense efficiency where as Villanova is #8. I am not sure why X's D would be considered suspect.
mpwalsh8

Postby FriarJ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Hall2012 wrote:Question of the day: In NCAA history, how many teams have scored 65 points in a half and lost by double digits? It can't be many...

Not double digits but 67 and lost, and I bet you remember this fiasco from the Keno Davis years
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=300682550

Greedy Peterson had 38 and 16 including 10 Offensive Boards. Man if that kid could have only kept his head on straight. Hard to recall a high jumper like that in recent memory in the BE
FriarJ

Postby Novachap » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm

kayako wrote:
Novachap wrote:
kayako wrote:https://twitter.com/EvanDaniels/status/963842741804285952?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

And now the Phil Booth countdown commences......

Perhaps I'm irrationally critical of Donte, but I can't wait till he goes back to the bench where he belongs with that awful D.

No, you are not being too critical. He is too unsteady, gambles too much and is constantly in scramble mode. Love his athleticism, hate the bone-headed plays. He is perfect off the bench creating energy, but at this point I think Booth is MUCH better all around. Can not wait until Phil is back.
Novachap

Postby billyjack » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:06 pm

Novachap wrote:
kayako wrote:
Novachap wrote:And now the Phil Booth countdown commences......

Perhaps I'm irrationally critical of Donte, but I can't wait till he goes back to the bench where he belongs with that awful D.

No, you are not being too critical. He is too unsteady, gambles too much and is constantly in scramble mode. Love his athleticism, hate the bone-headed plays. He is perfect off the bench creating energy, but at this point I think Booth is MUCH better all around. Can not wait until Phil is back.

i noticed one rough defensive sequence for DiVincenzo last night. Around a minute left, he was guarding Diallo in the corner, but lost him when Alpha broke to the hoop.

Diallo missed layup, got board, but on putback attempt Bridges got whistled for his 5th foul. Huge getting 2 free throws, followed by Brunson slamming into Bullock for his 5th too down the other end.

Diallo has struggled from 3, so to me it shouldve been expected that he'd leave the corner.

other than that i haven't noticed Dante playing poorly or anything. He looked strong against Marquette.
Providence
billyjack

Postby Novachap » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:17 pm

i noticed one rough defensive sequence for DiVincenzo last night. Around a minute left, he was guarding Diallo in the corner, but lost him when Alpha broke to the hoop.

Diallo missed layup, got board, but on putback attempt Bridges got whistled for his 5th foul. Huge getting 2 free throws, followed by Brunson slamming into Bullock for his 5th too down the other end.

Diallo has struggled from 3, so to me it shouldve been expected that he'd leave the corner.

other than that i haven't noticed Dante playing poorly or anything. He looked strong against Marquette.[/quote]

Fair enough, and don't get me wrong----first of all no sour grapes at all. PC outplayed Nova pure and simple.

Also, I love Donte, but if you watch him as much as us Nova fans, there are definitely limitations. Phil is just more solid and steady. DD gambles regularly and it leave the wings and corners open after the penetration. He gets beat a hell of lot more off the dribble than Phil does and certainly forces the action more---IMHO. Donte is an amazing energy guy, ridiculously athletic, and perfect as a secondary option. He has developed tremendously since last year, but he is just not at the level of Booth.
Novachap

Postby scoscox » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:05 pm

Friarsfan94 wrote:
billyjack wrote:The DePaul vs St John's game was really good. A ton of lead changes all night. Ok, Marin Maric is my least favorite Blue Demon. He throws a lot of "inadvertent" elbows with flailing arms and Bill Laimbeer type sneaky antics. Tried to trip a guy going baseline, got whistled but could've been a flagrant. Early season i remember late in their game at Xavier, Tyrique Jones knocked him into the front row past the cheerleaders... Maric had probably earlier been pulling his bulls--t with Tyrique.

Also, a general comment... i really dislike the recent fake head-bobbing that's becoming common to try to draw fake fouls. I'm not going to name names, but two guys are on notice. I mean c'mon, that's ACC stuff.

Now get off my lawn.

Oh oh oh! I wanna play! Does one of these two players go to their barber and ask for the “deranged, uneven, make my head look like a palm tree” hairstyle? And then shoot threes, land on the ground, literally 2 hand push themselves off their defender after landing and fall backwards to the ground? You know, kinda like this...?
https://mobile.twitter.com/brendonjenni ... twterm%5E1

I think Trevon was the pioneer in the "throwing the head back to get a foul call".
scoscox

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:17 pm

What's up with Nova? Of course they're not gonna win them all, but losing to StJ and Prov? Shoot lights out vs Creighton & Xavier, but losing games they're expected to win. Well, this ain't the B-12, so come on X...we need a new champion anyways.

Unfortunately, they will have a sterling game (with Booth back) in Omaha - where's the justice?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board