ESPN's Rece Davis watches the Big East

The home for Big East hoops

Postby MUPanther » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:18 pm

Rece Davis who is a guest on Monday's Mark Packer Show on Sirius XM, channel 84, admits he might get a call from his bosses, but he watches a lot of Big East Basketball. Andy Staples was filling in for Mark Parker (who has the flu) was talking college hoops. They were talking about UConn struggles in the AAC. How it's not a fit with their fan base by playing no schools close to them. Fans don't get giddy playing Cincinnati and WSU, etc. Then, the topic moved to the Big East. Both Rece Davis and Andy Staples were surprised with the break-up of the Big East, in how well the new formed league is doing. Of course, lead by Villanova and Xavier. Rece Davis said something like, the league has mature players. Great scorers league. I find myself watching alot of basketball since it's my job, but I find myself watching tons of Big East Basketball. I guess I shouldn't be saying that since we meaning ESPN don't carry the Big East. Andy Staples goes on to say, hey come on, who doesn't like Bill Raftery.

I thought it was a fun story I wanted to share, as some don't have Sirius XM. It also leads myself to believe there is some bias at ESPN in there coverage, in what ESPN wants to cover.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: ESPN's Rece Davis watches the Big East

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:37 pm

Interesting post! Gives credence to our alleged anti-Big East bias from ESPN. They really seem to pick and choose who they promote and it's getting less and less obvious. This goes for conferences and players like Trae Young. Don't get me wrong he's a great talent obviously, but Shamorie Ponds is in the same ballpark as him and he MAYBE gets a mention on ESPN Stats and Info but not the main ESPN pages. They still see us as Villanova and a bunch of question marks.
MullinMayhem

Postby sju88grad » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 pm

MUPanther wrote:Rece Davis who is a guest on Monday's Mark Packer Show on Sirius XM, channel 84, admits he might get a call from his bosses, but he watches a lot of Big East Basketball. Andy Staples was filling in for Mark Parker (who has the flu) was talking college hoops. They were talking about UConn struggles in the AAC. How it's not a fit with their fan base by playing no schools close to them. Fans don't get giddy playing Cincinnati and WSU, etc. Then, the topic moved to the Big East. Both Rece Davis and Andy Staples were surprised with the break-up of the Big East, in how well the new formed league is doing. Of course, lead by Villanova and Xavier. Rece Davis said something like, the league has mature players. Great scorers league. I find myself watching alot of basketball since it's my job, but I find myself watching tons of Big East Basketball. I guess I shouldn't be saying that since we meaning ESPN don't carry the Big East. Andy Staples goes on to say, hey come on, who doesn't like Bill Raftery.

I thought it was a fun story I wanted to share, as some don't have Sirius XM. It also leads myself to believe there is some bias at ESPN in there coverage, in what ESPN wants to cover.

Just got home from work and was going to post the same thing. Heard the interview and couldn’t help but smile. It’s gotten to the point where no one can dismiss the conference anymore. Especially with the release of the first look at the bracket. 2 #1 seeds. Can’t ignore that!!!
sju88grad

Postby DudeAnon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:08 pm

that is dope
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby MUPanther » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 am

sju88grad wrote:
MUPanther wrote:Rece Davis who is a guest on Monday's Mark Packer Show on Sirius XM, channel 84, admits he might get a call from his bosses, but he watches a lot of Big East Basketball. Andy Staples was filling in for Mark Parker (who has the flu) was talking college hoops. They were talking about UConn struggles in the AAC. How it's not a fit with their fan base by playing no schools close to them. Fans don't get giddy playing Cincinnati and WSU, etc. Then, the topic moved to the Big East. Both Rece Davis and Andy Staples were surprised with the break-up of the Big East, in how well the new formed league is doing. Of course, lead by Villanova and Xavier. Rece Davis said something like, the league has mature players. Great scorers league. I find myself watching alot of basketball since it's my job, but I find myself watching tons of Big East Basketball. I guess I shouldn't be saying that since we meaning ESPN don't carry the Big East. Andy Staples goes on to say, hey come on, who doesn't like Bill Raftery.

Just got home from work and was going to post the same thing. Heard the interview and couldn’t help but smile. It’s gotten to the point where no one can dismiss the conference anymore. Especially with the release of the first look at the bracket. 2 #1 seeds. Can’t ignore that!!!

I'm glad someone was able to listen to it. I listen to Sirius XM always thru the workday.
MUPanther

Postby MullinMayhem » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:33 am

What is the XM channel name and number? I listen to XM everyday in my car and always wonder why I can't find any college hoops talk!
MullinMayhem

Postby sju88grad » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:51 am

MUPanther wrote:
sju88grad wrote:

I'm glad someone was able to listen to it. I listen to Sirius XM always thru the workday.

LOL....I do the exact same thing.....especially now that football season is over, the focus on college hoops is really ramping up.....

The college sports station on Sirius/XM is channel 84.....recently it became espnu radio....
sju88grad

Postby MUPanther » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:14 pm

I did like it when it was College Sports Nation. I don't like it as much as ESPNU Radio channel 84. I stream it at work and have the app on my phone.

I'm the biggest college football fan. That said it's too much football talk. Need more college hoops talk. Year's past they had a basketball guy co-host for their 3 hour show. Guys like Bardo, Lappas or Brennan. That is no longer done.
MUPanther

Return to Big East basketball message board