(5) Saturday BE Games 2/10/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) Saturday BE Games 2/10/18

Postby REDMEN1415 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:03 pm

NJRedman wrote:How 'bout them Johnnies?!?! Should be a fun game this week between the two last place teams.

Ponds is killing it.
33 vs. Duke, 26 vs. Nova, and 44 vs. Marq and he's hitting his 3's.
REDMEN1415

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby muskeagle » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:05 pm

Color me a HUGE fan of Marcus Foster! Wow, he has some serious game. Not only that, enjoyed seeing him be able to enjoy the moment with a couple of playful moments with Macura. Total competitor, but managed a smile in the handshake line as well. Love watching that guy play (although he made it scare for me as an X fan). Will be looking and rooting for him the rest of the year and at the next level, too.
muskeagle

Postby REDMEN1415 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:07 pm

stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Short term maybe a bad day for the league (although SJU still has a chance at a bid, just no room for error). Long terms? Today was a good day.

These teams like Georgetown and St. John's need to win some of these. The coaches are just starting and need to show recruits they can win. Neither school wants another rebuild and both have a lot of potential.

Also, in St. John's case, their RPI OOC is 15. Their current RPI is 67. So if anything, their losing really helped the league a lot. You can't consider losing to them a bad loss. Ponds being out or injured the majority of the time was a gift to the rest of the teams (aside from Marquette who has to play him both times fully healthy).

if St John's made it now- they'd bare minimum need to win out regular season to get to 17-13 and then get a game in the BET. Doing that would give Providence, Marquette both losses that probably kill their chances, and gives Seton Hall yet another loss- if SH loses to both Nova and Xavier- that's 9 conference losses for Seton Hall and puts the Pirates in some danger of missing the tourney should they lose 2 of 3 to DePaul, Providence, and Butler(certainly possible). plus gives Butler another loss at a time where Butler needs wins to try to get out of the 7-8 line. But I'd make the case that short term- today was good for the BE because Nova and Xavier both won solidifying their #1 seeds. X may now be able to lose again to Nova and still get a #1 seed. That's huge.

long term- I 100% agree with you. Georgetown looks so much better than before and St John's looks like they're maybe finally turning the corner.
REDMEN1415

Postby REDMEN1415 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:12 pm

REDMEN1415 wrote:
stever20 wrote:
adoraz wrote:Short term maybe a bad day for the league (although SJU still has a chance at a bid, just no room for error). Long terms? Today was a good day.

These teams like Georgetown and St. John's need to win some of these. The coaches are just starting and need to show recruits they can win. Neither school wants another rebuild and both have a lot of potential.

Also, in St. John's case, their RPI OOC is 15. Their current RPI is 67. So if anything, their losing really helped the league a lot. You can't consider losing to them a bad loss. Ponds being out or injured the majority of the time was a gift to the rest of the teams (aside from Marquette who has to play him both times fully healthy).

if St John's made it now- they'd bare minimum need to win out regular season to get to 17-13 and then get a game in the BET. Doing that would give Providence, Marquette both losses that probably kill their chances, and gives Seton Hall yet another loss- if SH loses to both Nova and Xavier- that's 9 conference losses for Seton Hall and puts the Pirates in some danger of missing the tourney should they lose 2 of 3 to DePaul, Providence, and Butler(certainly possible). plus gives Butler another loss at a time where Butler needs wins to try to get out of the 7-8 line. But I'd make the case that short term- today was good for the BE because Nova and Xavier both won solidifying their #1 seeds. X may now be able to lose again to Nova and still get a #1 seed. That's huge.

long term- I 100% agree with you. Georgetown looks so much better than before and St John's looks like they're maybe finally turning the corner.

Get in what, NCAA or NIT.

If NCAA? Then throw out the regular season, it means nothing, we'll need to the win the B.E. Tourny.
If NIT? With the good RPI, we'll probably just need 17 wins. So 4 more.
REDMEN1415

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:04 pm

herodotus wrote:

Looking at it long term, these results give a hint of what a rising Georgetown, St. John's, and maybe DePaul would mean. There's no question about the value of the Georgetown brand. People outside of the league's footprint will tune in to watch a strong Georgetown, in a way that they won't for most of the other schools. There is also no doubt about the value of having strong teams in the league's two largest cities. With that said, all 10 teams can't be great at once. Who falls to the bottom if at least two of the struggling teams rise up? You have to be at least a bit nervous if you're a fan of a team other than Nova, and X. Until SJU beat Nova, those three teams didn't have a single win against the other 7. This was great short term, as those 3 teams were absorbing a huge chunk of the in conference losses, allowing us to have 7 teams in the mix for bids. It will be interesting to see how things play out as the stragglers begin to rise.

nice post. I've been saying similar in the Expansion posts. If the bottom rises...someone in the middle or top has to fall - everyone can't be 12-6 in conference. Good reason to bring in some new blood...to aid and assist StJ and Gtwn in rising back to respectability. JP said 2 bottom teams (SL, StB, Dayton, VCU, Boston U, etc) while I've been harping on 1 top and 1 bottom (Zags and 1 of the forementioned teams). Otherwise, some folks in the upper and mid tiers gonna get awfully pissed if/when StJ and Gtwn come roaring back. E'robody cain't be rising...somebody got to fall. As long as my Jays don't fall, (keep recruitin' baby) I'm good with it.

New post on Bluenotes... tell us how u really feel git. https://bluenotes2.com/in-the-paint-posts/
Luv the luv on this board and can respect the differing opinions as well DudeAnon. (I know u r an X guy...no question.)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:52 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
herodotus wrote:

Looking at it long term, these results give a hint of what a rising Georgetown, St. John's, and maybe DePaul would mean. There's no question about the value of the Georgetown brand. People outside of the league's footprint will tune in to watch a strong Georgetown, in a way that they won't for most of the other schools. There is also no doubt about the value of having strong teams in the league's two largest cities. With that said, all 10 teams can't be great at once. Who falls to the bottom if at least two of the struggling teams rise up? You have to be at least a bit nervous if you're a fan of a team other than Nova, and X. Until SJU beat Nova, those three teams didn't have a single win against the other 7. This was great short term, as those 3 teams were absorbing a huge chunk of the in conference losses, allowing us to have 7 teams in the mix for bids. It will be interesting to see how things play out as the stragglers begin to rise.

nice post. I've been saying similar in the Expansion posts. If the bottom rises...someone in the middle or top has to fall - everyone can't be 12-6 in conference. Good reason to bring in some new blood...to aid and assist StJ and Gtwn in rising back to respectability. JP said 2 bottom teams (SL, StB, Dayton, VCU, Boston U, etc) while I've been harping on 1 top and 1 bottom (Zags and 1 of the forementioned teams). Otherwise, some folks in the upper and mid tiers gonna get awfully pissed if/when StJ and Gtwn come roaring back. E'robody cain't be rising...somebody got to fall. As long as my Jays don't fall, (keep recruitin' baby) I'm good with it.

New post on Bluenotes... tell us how u really feel git. https://bluenotes2.com/in-the-paint-posts/
Luv the luv on this board and can respect the differing opinions as well DudeAnon. (I know u r an X guy...no question.)

Expanding is not the solution. It's totally okay to have 3-4 teams out of the tourney each year. You will never get all of them.

What the league should strive for is that the teams rotate and go through cycles. You don't want fixed bottom dwellers that become bad losses when the inevitable upset occurs. If all 10 of them develop a good, strong brand, even in a down year they will be seen as good program. Also, more bids can be guaranteed if the league performs even better in the non-conference portion of the schedule. It is entirely possible to have 8/10 teams in the NCAA. Why not? If the leagues schedules harder and wins the games early on, its definitely possible.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Bill Marsh » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:59 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:
herodotus wrote:

Expanding is not the solution. It's totally okay to have 3-4 teams out of the tourney each year. You will never get all of them.

What the league should strive for is that the teams rotate and go through cycles. You don't want fixed bottom dwellers that become bad losses when the inevitable upset occurs. If all 10 of them develop a good, strong brand, even in a down year they will be seen as good program. Also, more bids can be guaranteed if the league performs even better in the non-conference portion of the schedule. It is entirely possible to have 8/10 teams in the NCAA. Why not? If the leagues schedules harder and wins the games early on, its definitely possible.

Agree 100%.

Current cellar dweller St John’s is a case in point. Despite being 2-11 in conference play, they are 11-2 OOC, ranked #63 in power rating (Sagarin), and ranked #68 in RPI. Their win over Duke boosts the RPI of every other team in the conference. Even with double digit losses in conference play, they are a legitimate threat to win the BET. They make the conference better. Their strength of play this year shows that they are a program in transition and not just a doormat, a program that will likely be in contention next team. Their fans have something to cheer for even in a down year, will attend games and buy tickets to the BET. They give college basketball fans a reason to tune into their games.

St John's bring value to the league. There would be no point in adding a perennial cellar dweller because it would bring no value. Teams can go out and schedule cupcakes on their own if they want to inflate their win totals. If travel were not an issue, there would be value in adding an established program like Gonzaga because they would bring value every year just as the current membership does. Unless a similar program emerges at that level, expansion makes no sense.
Bill Marsh

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board