(3) BE Games-Wed- 2/7/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) BE Games-Wed- 2/7/18

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Gutty win by CU, but this team looks lost since Martin's injury.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:25 pm

kayako wrote:
BEXU wrote:Congrats Johnnies! Win the BET and go to the Dance?

4 games in 4 days with a 6 man rotation?

It was certainly a solid win tonight, but that would be tough to do. Especially, considering their rotation as stated above. I think they could find themselves in the NIT, if everything falls right for them.

Good win tonight by the Johnnies!
Red Rooster

Postby Jet915 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Marcus is a stud, Creighton avoids a bad loss.
Jet915

Postby kayako » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 pm

DeePhence wrote:
kayako wrote:
BEXU wrote:Congrats Johnnies! Win the BET and go to the Dance?

4 games in 4 days with a 6 man rotation?

PC won the BET with six men in 2014. UConn won the ACC and the NCAA with six men. Depends on who your men are. We had Cotton, UConn had Napier. You guys have Ponds.

Who knows? The fun never stops in this league - Marquette winning at the Pru, DePaul beating Creighton at half time...

If I remember correctly, Providence didn't have to play Wednesday that season. An extra game + imo superior competition (vs 2014) would make it a much tougher feat.
supernova
kayako

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 pm

Just so you all know just how insane these last two games were for St. John's.

Per ESPN Stats & Info, St. John’s is the first team in the AP poll era to beat a No. 1 team after entering the game with a 0-10 or worse record in conference play. They’re also the first team in the AP poll era to win back-to-back games, both versus top-five teams, immediately after a losing streak of 10 games. And according to BPI, the Red Storm had a 0.3 percent chance to beat both Duke and Villanova.
:shock:

http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketb ... east-start
NJRedman

Postby BluejaysForThree » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:34 pm

What a night in college basketball. Congrats to the Johnnies for pulling off the upset... for the second time in less than a week! Nova will be all right, these nights happen to the best teams, especially in a long season.

Jays didn't play well tonight, and survived a great effort from a scrappy and improving DePaul squad. Marcus Foster did his thing tonight, and once again was clutch for CU! That was a big win by CU to avoid a bad loss (which thankfully CU doesn't really have one so far this year) which could have severely damaged the Jays' seed line and possibly put this team in a slump... Instead Foster hits the eventual game winner and the Jays get win #18 on the season and stay solidly in 3rd place in the conference.

The race here at the end of the conference season between 3rd and 7th place in this conference is going to be crazy... just like last year... I LOVE THIS CONFERENCE!!!!
BluejaysForThree

Postby ecasadoSBU » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:40 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Good game by Nova, clawed back down 9 late. Great win for our program will def help show recruits we aren't dead! Jury still out on Mully...credit him for motivating team but next year we should be a top 25 team if he can get same effort and develop players. Wonder if this is Mullin shining or the law of averages leveling off after 0-11 and tons of insane losses.

Btw if Mullin ever yelled at refs half as loud as Wright there, he'd be T'd up without hesitation. I actually laughed realizing that when it happened. I just wish we had a decent record so these wins got us into a good seed in the tourney, but they still help the fan base and recruiting. So much negativity for so long, much needed wins.

Not to get ahead.... but the Johnies have a fairly favorable schedule the rest of the way (No top-3 league team). At least relative to the past two games. Obviously, in the Big East you cannot make assumptions.... With that said... vs. Marquette, @DePaul, @Marquette... You can't hope for a better lineup than that one after beating two top-5 teams...

DePaul is DePaul, and Marquette has struggled lately. Go 3-0 and all of the sudden you are 15-13 and return home to face the Hall... Hey, who knows!
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Toronto Rapture » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am

Wow. I usually read these daily game threads but do not always comment, but that St. John's win is pretty remarkable, even more so with the Duke win as well. Like others have said, its probably a long shot for them to make the tourney, but these big wins will hopefully have a good effect on their program overall and maybe are a sign that things are turning around. I had to go check out the highlights on youtube (already up from BE for St. John's/Nova). It was a pretty hectic finish; good on St. John's keeping composure after not getting that inbound in on time and still closing out the game. Just like they responded well after Duke hit that big 3 pointer late in that game. Not sure if others check out the highlights on youtube much, but I'm digging the new menu images from the BE; pretty slick. Anyways, gotta check out the highlights for the other games tonight CU escaping DePaul and Marquette/SH.
"...Bull doggin'...like them Georgetown Hoyas..." Big Boi from Outkast
Toronto Rapture

Postby sju88grad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:18 am

Great win for SJU tonight! Thanks for all of the support from this board. Villanova is the class of the league so to pull out a win, on the road, is just crazy. Really hoping that this momentum carries us for a few more weeks. Would be great to at least finish with a winning record so we could possibly end up in the NIT. So happy for Mullin and the team.
sju88grad

Postby cu blujs » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 am

I said right after our second game with them, I am soooo glad we don't have to play St. John's again.
cu blujs

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board