(3) BE Games-Wed- 2/7/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) BE Games-Wed- 2/7/18

Postby XU85 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:05 pm

Thanks and congrats to the St. Johns and fans! 2 top 4 wins! Johnnies going to the dance! Finally figured it out without LoVett.
Xavier, 85 & 87
XU85

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DeePhence » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:07 pm

kayako wrote:
BEXU wrote:Congrats Johnnies! Win the BET and go to the Dance?

4 games in 4 days with a 6 man rotation?

PC won the BET with six men in 2014. UConn won the ACC and the NCAA with six men. Depends on who your men are. We had Cotton, UConn had Napier. You guys have Ponds.

Who knows? The fun never stops in this league - Marquette winning at the Pru, DePaul beating Creighton at half time...

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby REDMEN1415 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:22 pm

(AP) PHILADELPHIA -- St. John's took down another of the nation's elite, and stunned No. 1 Villanova 79-75 on Wednesday night for its second win over a top-five team this week -- and first over the top-ranked team in 33 years.

Shamorie Ponds scored 26 points to spark the Red Storm (12-13, 1-11 Big East) to its first conference win of the season and easily their best week since Chris Mullin was in uniform, not the coach.

Mullin played for St. John's when it beat No. 1 Georgetown 66-65 on Jan. 26, 1985. And he was on the sideline exhorting his players in the final minutes of this shocker.

St. John's beat then-No. 4 Duke Blue Devils 81-77 at Madison Square Garden on Saturday, snapping an 11-game losing streak. It was the first win for St. John's since Dec. 20 against Saint Joseph's.

The Wildcats (22-2, 9-2) ended a nine-game winning streak and will surely tumble from the top of the national rankings, where they've spent the last five weeks at No. 1.

The Red Storm used just six players -- and had the one that mattered most in Ponds. Ponds, a 6-foot-1 guard, scored a career-high 37 points against Villanova in early January at Madison Square Garden that led the Red Storm to the brink of an upset. In a season where the Wildcats have routinely roughed up the Big East, St. John's only lost 78-71 and stayed tight until the final 2 minutes.

St. John's can hang with the nation's elite -- it lost by five points to No. 5 Xavier in a streak of three straight games against AP Top 25 teams.
REDMEN1415

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Good game by Nova, clawed back down 9 late. Great win for our program will def help show recruits we aren't dead! Jury still out on Mully...credit him for motivating team but next year we should be a top 25 team if he can get same effort and develop players. Wonder if this is Mullin shining or the law of averages leveling off after 0-11 and tons of insane losses.

Btw if Mullin ever yelled at refs half as loud as Wright there, he'd be T'd up without hesitation. I actually laughed realizing that when it happened. I just wish we had a decent record so these wins got us into a good seed in the tourney, but they still help the fan base and recruiting. So much negativity for so long, much needed wins.
MullinMayhem

Postby REDMEN1415 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:47 pm

"St. John's can hang with the nation's elite -- it lost by five points to No. 5 Xavier in a streak of three straight games against AP Top 25 teams."

Actually it should have said: " St. John's can hang with the nation's elite -- it lost by five points to No. 5 Xavier in a streak of three straight games against AP Top 5 teams."
REDMEN1415

Postby handdownmandown » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:15 pm

Thank God for Marcus Foster.
handdownmandown

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:15 pm

ballyhoohoo wrote:Chris mullin has a good game plan “guys, go basketball”

Really? Nows the time you want to talk shit about Mullins coaching?
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:17 pm

DeePhence wrote:
ballyhoohoo wrote:Chris mullin has a good game plan “guys, go basketball”

Seriously.

I just posted this on our board:

I could see how the style they play could appeal to talented kids who want to play that kind of gambling on defense, beating your man on offense, showing off a bit, somewhat unstructured. Street ball, but against the best comp, in the Big Apple, with a Dream Teamer, NBA HOFer, a gunner's gunner from Brooklyn as your coach.

If he can impose some structure, and get his guys to make better decisions in tight games, he might eventually get so much talent that even if Mullin doesn't know an X from a O, St. John's could rise - "guys, go play basketball". Could be fun.

Great game, again for SJU.

I'm sure he knows more about basketball than you guy.
NJRedman

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm

Congrats to the SJU fans on this board. I did not have a good feeling going into this game once I heard Paschall was out. SJU executed well and kept the momentum going from Saturday. If you don't think Mullin can coach you obviously weren't paying attention to SJU's defense tonight. Yeah, we were cold from 3, but that had a lot to do with the way St. John's played D tonight. Was the best defensive effort I have seen so far this year from a team we were playing against.

I think LoVett screwed you guys. I think Mullin is doing the best he can, but remember, when it comes to recruiting go after guys who are gonna be playing for the name on the front of the jersey, not the name on the back. Jay learned his lesson with that. I am sure Chris isn't happy about what happened with LoVett, but if he bought in and decided to play as soon as he was able, you guys are arguably a tournament team. Tough break but nice to see you guys putting it together and getting some obviously very high quality wins against big time opponents.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby NJRedman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:20 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Good game by Nova, clawed back down 9 late. Great win for our program will def help show recruits we aren't dead! Jury still out on Mully...credit him for motivating team but next year we should be a top 25 team if he can get same effort and develop players. Wonder if this is Mullin shining or the law of averages leveling off after 0-11 and tons of insane losses.

Btw if Mullin ever yelled at refs half as loud as Wright there, he'd be T'd up without hesitation. I actually laughed realizing that when it happened. I just wish we had a decent record so these wins got us into a good seed in the tourney, but they still help the fan base and recruiting. So much negativity for so long, much needed wins.

NJRedman

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board