Postby NJRedman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:33 am

NJRedman

Re: (3) BE Games-Wed- 2/7/18

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby billyjack » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:17 am

"Just another game in the Big East...!!!"

Three great games, great night of hoops.
Providence
billyjack

Postby XUFan09 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:21 am

Xavier Nation thanks you, St. John's. The Big East championship just got a lot more interesting and will probably be decided by Nova@X next week.

What a crazy win! This has to make St. John's fans feel good about the team going forward, particularly for next year.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 am

NJRedman wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:Good game by Nova, clawed back down 9 late. Great win for our program will def help show recruits we aren't dead! Jury still out on Mully...credit him for motivating team but next year we should be a top 25 team if he can get same effort and develop players. Wonder if this is Mullin shining or the law of averages leveling off after 0-11 and tons of insane losses.

Btw if Mullin ever yelled at refs half as loud as Wright there, he'd be T'd up without hesitation. I actually laughed realizing that when it happened. I just wish we had a decent record so these wins got us into a good seed in the tourney, but they still help the fan base and recruiting. So much negativity for so long, much needed wins.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but I continue to tell him his meaning of the law of averages is off. Syracuse once beat Seton Hall something like 20 times in a row and UConn once beat Boston College 23 consecutive games. Both Seton Hall and Boston College finally ending their losing streaks against those respective schools didn't have anything to do with the law of averages.

I've had this conversation with another person I know and, of course, Mayhem/Hooper, and their belief in how it works is a fallacy. In this case, it's gambler's fallacy. If it did have anything to do with a law of average, then don't you think it would've ended sooner?

Go St. John's!
Last edited by Red Rooster on Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Red Rooster

Postby chopper » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:27 am

Imagine if st John's played this inspired every game...
chopper

Postby sju88grad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:44 am

XUFan09 wrote:Xavier Nation thanks you, St. John's. The Big East championship just got a lot more interesting and will probably be decided by Nova@X next week.

What a crazy win! This has to make St. John's fans feel good about the team going forward, particularly for next year.

You’re welcome!! ;) ;)

Definitely feeling much better about the next few weeks and certainly next year. Just hope that Shamorie stays for another season!!
sju88grad

Postby FriarJ » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:48 am

I have a buddy/aquaintance who is a big SJU fan. He always texts me before the year to tell me how this is the year and SJU is back and this year was no different. Then of course he goes radio silent during the entire year and won't even answer my text about an unrelated topic. Now he won't stop texting me telling me how great they are and they are back and are gonna kick our ass in Providence at the end of the year. You gotta love Johnnies fans.
FriarJ

Postby REDMEN1415 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:02 am

The thing about the Duke/Villanova wins is, think long term affect.

The recruits.
Brooks and his mom tweeted about the Duke victory, you know that even if they didn't watch the Nova game, they know about it.

They know that SJU came close alot in those losses in the B.E., they know about the short bench, and they could be the bench that helps them get to the NCAA tourny.

The 2019, and 20 recruits seen this also. We can't stop now, let get to the NIT. Make the top recruits more interested in us.
REDMEN1415

Postby BEhomer » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:27 am

that game against Marquette got 1000 times more interesting now. Marquette's fighting for its own post season chance as well. should be a great game.
BEhomer

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:07 am

1. Redman, I'm THRILLED with this win! It's hard to even know how to react as a SJ fan when you aren't used to winning games against top 5 opponents. Like I said, great for recruiting and it gives the fanbase something to chew on in a disappointing year. Thinking logically though with emotions aside, we are 1-11 and had not beaten Nova since 2011. So it could be the law of averages. I hope that's not all it was and Mullin definitely deserves credit for the fighting never say never attitude and effort from the team. That being said, the broader picture is 1-11. We dug ourselves in such a deep hole that even a win like that can be dampened a bit. If we were .500 in conference we'd be in the top 15. If Mullin's as good as you're implying (and believe me I hope he is) then next year we should sleep walk into the tournament and maybe even be ranked. Tons of experience, chemistry already there, and now tons of size and depth to add coming in. Next year will be very telling either way. I still think we need an experienced assistant for next year.

2. X is of course great on its own, but it's weird how much we've helped them out directly recently haha...beating Duke opened up the 1 seed for X and now beating Nova we made it a tighter race in conference for them. I think our top 5 wins are important to show that we aren't just Villanova...we have several teams who can hang with anyone.
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board