The Duke Treatment

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The Duke Treatment

Postby Novachap » Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36 am

Jay absolutely went off... no question. Is there a double standard---probably, BUT I believe it is more related to the Coach and not necessarily the school with respect to a coach getting T'd up. The number of years he has been at this has, his reputation, etc. has done a number of things.. He has personal capital with refs that Chris doesn't have yet, he knows exactly how far he can push it given his experience---particularity in a close game the Ref is not going to want to call a T and determine / influence the outcome if he can avoid it. He certainly has gotten a number o T's in his career as Jay is unequivocally a screamer and anyone who attends games sees it. But, think of other coaches that have been around a long time and frankly have earned the benefit of the doubt. Is it fair, probably not, but the reality is coaches like Wright are a brand imho and they will get that benefit of the doubt.
Novachap

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:46 pm

Novachap wrote:Jay absolutely went off... no question. Is there a double standard---probably, BUT I believe it is more related to the Coach and not necessarily the school with respect to a coach getting T'd up. The number of years he has been at this has, his reputation, etc. has done a number of things.. He has personal capital with refs that Chris doesn't have yet, he knows exactly how far he can push it given his experience---particularity in a close game the Ref is not going to want to call a T and determine / influence the outcome if he can avoid it. He certainly has gotten a number o T's in his career as Jay is unequivocally a screamer and anyone who attends games sees it. But, think of other coaches that have been around a long time and frankly have earned the benefit of the doubt. Is it fair, probably not, but the reality is coaches like Wright are a brand imho and they will get that benefit of the doubt.

I'm still mad about the over the back foul by Nova that somehow resulted in Ponds being called for a foul. That game was right there for the taking and that call drove the final nail in our coffin. There's a reason Mullin screams obscenities at the refs...they have been very biased against him and he knows it. But I pretty much agree with your points.
MullinMayhem

Postby Novachap » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:52 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:
Novachap wrote:Jay absolutely went off... no question. Is there a double standard---probably, BUT I believe it is more related to the Coach and not necessarily the school with respect to a coach getting T'd up. The number of years he has been at this has, his reputation, etc. has done a number of things.. He has personal capital with refs that Chris doesn't have yet, he knows exactly how far he can push it given his experience---particularity in a close game the Ref is not going to want to call a T and determine / influence the outcome if he can avoid it. He certainly has gotten a number o T's in his career as Jay is unequivocally a screamer and anyone who attends games sees it. But, think of other coaches that have been around a long time and frankly have earned the benefit of the doubt. Is it fair, probably not, but the reality is coaches like Wright are a brand imho and they will get that benefit of the doubt.

I'm still mad about the over the back foul by Nova that somehow resulted in Ponds being called for a foul. That game was right there for the taking and that call drove the final nail in our coffin. There's a reason Mullin screams obscenities at the refs...they have been very biased against him and he knows it. But I pretty much agree with your points.

Yup, get it. I can point to numerous calls too where Nova appeared to get screwed... ask us about the phantom travel call against North Carolina... but those tend to be back in the day when Jay was the new guy on the block and in that case specifically Ol Roy had been around...

Don't know how long you have been around, but I remember Louie also getting the benefit of the doubt... just human nature. Give Mullin another 15 years, he gets those calls... ;)
Novachap

Postby ConnersvilleBulldog » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:28 pm

After watching the second half of the Nova/Butler game I can see why people say Nova gets the Duke treatment.

It’s not why Butler lost the game, missed shots and poor shot selection cemented that. But it definitely didn’t seem like the two teams were being officiated the same.
"On paper, people tell us we're nothing. But we're still playing for a national championship. We … are … still … here." - Joel Cornette
ConnersvilleBulldog

Postby kmacker69 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:40 pm

Notice how we didn't blame the whole game on a call or two, but said that we didn't like the officiating in general towards our play. CU take note! LOL! :lol:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board