Is Wojo on the hot seat?

The home for Big East hoops

Is Wojo on the hot seat?

Postby BigmanU » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:29 pm

What's the pulse in Milwaukee? Unless something drastically changes, 1 NCAA bid (1st Rd exit) in 4 years.

Does he get more time if he craps the bed the rest of the season or is he safe with Hauser lacing it up next year?
BigmanU

Is Wojo on the hot seat?

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is Wojo on the hot seat?

Postby billyjack » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Team is young and just a few plays away from being 7-4.

Step 1, in my opinion, is to never ever have Howard and Rowsey on the floor at the same time. This is so obvious it's shocking that Wojo hasn't done this. Start Howard, and have Rowsey come in only to give Howard a rest. Marquette's late run on Saturday came after Rowsey had fouled out.

The young guys played great the other day.
Providence
billyjack

Postby BigmanU » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:04 pm

billyjack wrote:Team is young and just a few plays away from being 7-4.

Step 1, in my opinion, is to never ever have Howard and Rowsey on the floor at the same time. This is so obvious it's shocking that Wojo hasn't done this. Start Howard, and have Rowsey come in only to give Howard a rest. Marquette's late run on Saturday came after Rowsey had fouled out.

The young guys played great the other day.

Thanks. Yeah, defensively Howard and Rowsey are not stopping opposing guards. He's was a small guard himself, so I guess he doesn't want to make the change.

For the record, I think the will be alot better next year and hope the fans stay patient because I feel it will pay off.
BigmanU

Postby Edrick » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:19 pm

I don't think he can miss the Tournament next year.

Five years with a job and most of the finishes between six and nine in a ten team conference is not, generally, a formula for stability -- assuming the school actually cares about basketball.

(As an aside, the 'youth' argument only flies if you are like Archie Miller and just are working with what you were left. When you are bad AND young with tenure, that's a YOU problem.
Edrick

Postby BEhomer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:21 pm

they have to give him next year. next year's team arguably is his best team thus far.
BEhomer

Postby milksteak » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:04 pm

I’d give him one more year, but you gotta fire him if he doesn’t make the NCAAs.

Wojo has been okay, but i don’t understand how or why his defenses are this bad in Year 3 and 4. He’s got his own guys, so I really wonder if he just doesn’t know how to coach defense.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby Jet915 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:11 pm

He definitely gets one more year due to baby Hauser.
Jet915

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:39 pm

Huge thread on this on scoop, but let me summarize:

No, Wojo is not on the hot seat (in terms of administration). His seat is ice cold. He is the perfect ambassador for the school and its current leadership. He says and does all the right things. He is recruiting well. He is buttoned-up (yes, this matters to our current admin). Yes, the team has really struggled over the past few weeks, and got embarrassingly blown out by Butler and lost a close game on National Marquette Day. However, make no mistake that this team is young and inexperienced. From last year's tournament team (which had Fisher, Johnson, Reinhardt and Rowsey as leadership), it now is largely composed of sophomores and freshmen. With Joey Hauser coming in next year, with hopefully a more balanced and experienced roster, the team will absolutely be better (barring an unexpected transfer), and expected to make a run in the tournament.

However, having said that, there are some red flags in many eyes of some MU faithful. Wojo's in-game coaching continually gets critiqued. From the Howard/Rousey set-up, to his player development, to the fact that MU always appears to be undermanned and unexpectedly loses a key player, there have been repeated speed bumps to getting the program back on track. His snap at a reporter on Saturday did not help his cause. I, personally, hope Rob Judson gets promoted to a full-time assistant next year. He needs a former HC on the bench with him. He also needs to fix the defensive issues that have plagued us every year he has been here. Every player on the roster is a recruit of his. There shouldn't be any excuses in that department.

Bottom line, Marquette spends and expects to be a tournament team every single year. It was expected to be a rebuild after Buzz (who did a lot of phenomenal things while HC here). However, in year four - a year where Wojo was expected to finally have a roster full of "his" guys - the team still plays porous defense and once again looks like it will lacking a true point guard to run every thing next year (a grad transfer at point is very likely). If the team isn't where it is expected to be next year, in year five, it is more than fair to wonder whether he is the right fit for the job.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby DudeAnon » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:31 am

Should he be? Yes. Is he? Idk, doesn't seem like it.

Lets say Marquette misses the tournament this year. That will be 1 tournament appearance and 0 wins in 4 years.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby MUBoxer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:10 pm

no, that simple. Marquette is on a rough stretch here but we've played arguably the hardest BE schedule of all of us thus far, it's still extremely feasible that we hit .500 in conference which due to our SOS and RPI is pretty much a lock barring an unreal amount of mid major bracket busters. Now if he continues to choke his seat will be warm going into next year though I don't think it's possible for him to not finish top 4 next year based on who we return and bring in.

Bottom line is he has two years left to prove himself through Hauser and Howard, perhaps if anyone other than Heldt had stayed from his original class (Ellenson, Carter, Cheatham, Cohen, Lavin) and we were getting these results this year it'd be a different story.
Marquette 2013
NUI-Galway 2019
MUBoxer

Return to Big East basketball message board