Bracketology

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Bracketology

Postby gosports1 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm

even with wins against Xavier and Nova, so far the only team to do so, I think PC is out and they don't really deserve a bid. They don't have the mental toughness and often lack the heart that's needed. The loss today to seton hall proves that. I cant see them winning at Xavier. They may win 1 against SJU and Gtown, but will that be enough? I think they really need 2 wins of the last 3 , hope no one gets hot that currently is on bubble, to have a shot at anything other than playin game
gosports1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ecasadoSBU » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:21 am

gosports1 wrote:even with wins against Xavier and Nova, so far the only team to do so, I think PC is out and they don't really deserve a bid. They don't have the mental toughness and often lack the heart that's needed. The loss today to seton hall proves that. I cant see them winning at Xavier. They may win 1 against SJU and Gtown, but will that be enough? I think they really need 2 wins of the last 3 , hope no one gets hot that currently is on bubble, to have a shot at anything other than playin game

Thanks for the sandbagging. But c'mon... Cut it!

What makes Providence non-deserving right now? The fact they lost a game against a good Seton Hall team were they were already down 10 to re-start? If they go 3-0 or 2-1 to close the regular season they should be in. If they go 1-2 to finish and win a game in the BET, they should be in.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby stever20 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:22 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:
gosports1 wrote:even with wins against Xavier and Nova, so far the only team to do so, I think PC is out and they don't really deserve a bid. They don't have the mental toughness and often lack the heart that's needed. The loss today to seton hall proves that. I cant see them winning at Xavier. They may win 1 against SJU and Gtown, but will that be enough? I think they really need 2 wins of the last 3 , hope no one gets hot that currently is on bubble, to have a shot at anything other than playin game

What makes Providence non-deserving right now? The fact they lost a game against a good Seton Hall team were they were already down 10 to re-start? If they go 3-0 or 2-1 to close the regular season they should be in. If they go 1-2 to finish and win a game in the BET, they should be in.

I think they need 2 more wins period. The problem is they have potentially 4 games left- @ Georgetown, @ Xavier, St John's, and then BET game(where they would likely face one of Butler, Creighton, Seton Hall, or Marquette). That's going to be tough. 1-3 won't be good enough at all.

They can't have losses also like last night from teams like Washington and Houston. Washington right now is tetering between tier 1 and 2. Right now, Providence is only 3-7 vs tier 1 games.
stever20

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:13 am

So Alonzo Trier has been ruled ineligible. Great news for any teams with FF aspirations and another spot on Sean Miller’s legacy. If there were 12 teams with realistic shots at a NC, Ariz was def one of them IMO.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby admin » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:29 pm

Good day for Big East "bubble teans" - wins by Hall, PC, and Creighton. Marquette was probably on the outside looking in and the loss to DePaul likely ended their at large chances.

Feels pretty good about 6 NCAA bids and would it shock you if St Johns, Georgetown, or Marquette got hot and made a run?
admin
Site Admin

Postby stever20 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:34 pm

admin wrote:Good day for Big East "bubble teans" - wins by Hall, PC, and Creighton. Marquette was probably on the outside looking in and the loss to DePaul likely ended their at large chances.

Feels pretty good about 6 NCAA bids and would it shock you if St Johns, Georgetown, or Marquette got hot and made a run?

I think 6 is probably it. Providence needs 1 more win to get in but has a good shot to get that.

Would it shock me if those 3 made a run? No, but I think for Georgetown and St John's, it's BET title or bust. For Marquette has to get 3 wins to probably not even include the BET Wed night game vs DePaul they're likely to face now. Georgetown would be best case 20-13 with a bad OOC SOS and St John's would be 18-16 best case. Neither one of those would be enough if they win out regular season and lose in BET title game.
stever20

Postby stever20 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:59 am

one point on Oklahoma. If Kansas is a 1 seed- and Oklahoma is in the 8/9 line mix- Kansas can not be bracketed with Oklahoma in rd 2. So for Xavier and Nova- they would have 2/3 of a chance(with Virginia being the other) at being bracketed with Oklahoma. Just saw on CBS that Palm has Xavier paired with Oklahoma.
stever20

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 am

ESPN's bubble watch update today now lists 5 Big East schools as tournament locks with Providence listed as "should be in" and Marquette with "work left to do."
Looks like we should get 6 in, with 7 possible but perhaps a long shot, and 8 if Georgetown, St. John's or DePaul beats Marquette in the BET Championship game.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby stever20 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:41 am

Hall2012 wrote:ESPN's bubble watch update today now lists 5 Big East schools as tournament locks with Providence listed as "should be in" and Marquette with "work left to do."
Looks like we should get 6 in, with 7 possible but perhaps a long shot, and 8 if Georgetown, St. John's or DePaul beats Marquette in the BET Championship game.

Providence still has to get 1 more win I think. Losing to Xavier, St John's, and then Butler/Seton Hall/Creighton in the BET gets them to 18-14 with a RPI of 60 and pretty bad advanced metrics. With those 3 opponents, that's still work to do.

Marquette i don't gets in unless they beat both Creighton on Saturday and then beating St John's on Wednesday in the BET- note it must be St John's so it can be coded as a road game. If they beat Creighton and St John's- lose to Nova- 19-13 with a RPI of 51. If it's DePaul neutral followed by losing to Nova- 19-13 with a RPI of 58. A loss to Creighton on Saturday and Marquette must beat Nova or Xavier to make the tourney. It's really that simple.
stever20

Postby gosports1 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:20 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:

they were also blown out by depaul at home. They came out sluggish against SH, got a break with the delay to try to get it together and play the next day,on campus in a gym they are in all the time, against an all PC crowd in a game they KNEW they must win to soilidfy their shot of making the tourney. they lost by 12 was it? if the games were closer it would be one thing. They also let Howard score 50+ on them and let a lead and victory escape. Something is lacking. I get the injuries hurt but again its another season winding down and what should be a lock for a bid is again in question. Lets see how they come out against Xavier. they have the talent, they just dont seem to always able to utilize it and get everyone on same page
gosports1

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board