Is Villanova peaking to early?

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Is Villanova peaking to early?

Postby SJUBBALL » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:30 pm

kayako wrote:
scoscox wrote:If nova flames out early in the tourney I’m gonna be pissed. Ditto to us and all the other big east teams, but especially nova

We deserve the scrutiny after the past 4 years. In retrospect, we had it coming last year. Too much 1on1 isolation, no size, no depth especially when Paschall got in foul trouble, one of the slowest pace in the country (again recipe for disaster against slightly inferior 2nd round opponent), and a Wisconsin team that was an unimaginably bad 2nd round matchup.

I can't guarantee a trip to the final four, but barring a catastrophic injury, Nova's floor is a lot higher than last season imo.

This was talked about a ton last year, but it was an absolute joke that Wisconsin was in an 8/9 game. I still can't believe that.

Back to this year, Nova is extremely good this year. Butler played nearly a perfect 35 minutes, I've never seen such an onslaught from 3. Even with all that, the refs botched a Brunson and-one call late in the game that could've completely flipped the game. When Nova almost came back after how well butler played, I knew the Nova team was special, and built for March.

Yes I have bias, but when the brackets come out selection sunday I am pencilling in Villanova as champions. Duke, Kentucky, all these teams are led by freshmen. Brunson won a championship as a freshman and has gotten miles better since. I will trust the ball in his hands when the games are close in the tournament, because lets be honest no one in the country is going to blow Nova out.
SJUBBALL

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:32 pm

Is Villanova peaking too early?

Absolutely. They should wait to peak until after the conference tournament. Jay Wright obviously doesn't know what he's doing. ;)

When you're just really good all year, I'm not sure when you can really say a team "peaks", but I wish my school had these problems.
Irishdawg

Postby MackNova » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:25 pm

I worry a little bit about how 3-point reliant we are, but we are such a good shooting team with so many different options that it's hard for everyone to be cold.

You can make a case Villanova peaked offensively but the defense could still get a lot better. That, along with Phil Booth's health, are the biggest concerns for Villanova.
MackNova

Postby scoscox » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Nova can outscore anyone. The one vulnerability is defense.
scoscox

Postby EMT » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:59 am

scoscox wrote:Nova can outscore anyone. The one vulnerability is defense.

Totally disagree. Nova plays the passing lanes and helps as good as any team I've seen in a while.

teams with length maybe.
EMT

Postby scoscox » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:25 am

It’s all relative. They have a good defense, better than ours, but it’s definitely not as strong as the offense or as good as they have been. Just nitpicking
scoscox

Postby Xudash » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:20 pm

If this is the question that comes to mind about Nova, the program has little to worry about.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby milksteak » Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:26 pm

Nova barely has any flaws. If they lose in the NCAAs, three point percentage differential will be their undoing. They rely heavily on the three-point shot and perimeter defense is their biggest weakness.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby chopper » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:02 pm

Based on the last 2 games (without Phil Booth) it is easy for me to say that Nova has not even peaked offensively (which is scary to think). Additionally, their defense can still improve over what it is right now.
chopper

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board