Is Villanova peaking to early?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby BigmanU » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:22 am

They've been tearing the BEast & country for that matter. My honest question, have the already peaked?

They still haven't played a BEAst away game against the upper half of the conference except Butler. We all know how that ended.

Still have @ Xavier @ Creighton & @ Seton Hall. Even think that home game against Seton Hall will be a dog fight. Nova has yet to test their mettle on the road. I honestly don't know the answer, but we shall see.
Last edited by BigmanU on Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
BigmanU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Is Villanova peaking to early?

Postby BoarCommaThe » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:32 am

There is no way this team has peaked yet. This coming from a Jays fan. Get Booth back in the rotation and they have 8 solid guys that will cause matchup nightmares for everyone considering how well they shoot the ball.
BoarCommaThe

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:58 am

I don't know if they have peaked, but I don't know if bodes well for the rest of us or Nova that we really aren't even challenging them. Hopefully their upcoming road trips are more challenging and maybe expose some deficiencies to clean up before March.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Hall2012 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:02 am

I wouldn't worry about that. The most impressive thing about Villanova throughout recent years is their incredible consistency. Even when they do have the rare off-game, they still find a way to win more often than not. Plus, the lone loss this year wasn't exactly about Villanova playing poorly - it was Butler shooting an absolutely ridiculous 15-22 (68%!) from 3. Nova may be the only team in the country that could have stayed within single digits of Butler on that day.

I don't doubt that they'll face stiffer competition when they face some of their closer rivals on the road - but the scariest part is that they didn't just beat Creighton and Xavier at home. They destroyed them. And they may well do the same to Seton Hall on Sunday. Right now, the gap between Villanova and the pack looks as big as ever, which is incredible because the pack appears to be as strong as ever.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Edrick » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:14 am

BigmanU wrote:The tearing the BEast & country for that matter. My hohest question, have the already peaked?

They still haven't played a BEAst away game against the upper half of the conference except Butler. We all no how that ended.

Still have @ Xavier @ Creighton & @ Seton Hall. Even think that home game against Seton Hall will be a dog fight. Nova has yet to test their mettle on the road. I honestly don't know the answer, but we shall see.

Butler will be going for four straight against Villanova in a week.
Edrick

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:20 am

Just saw this on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/CollegeBasketb ... villanova/

Villanova now has the highest offensive efficiency rating ever in the KenPom era.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby cu blujs » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:40 am

As I think the color guy said last night, it would be interesting to see them against a really good defense, like Virginia. Hopefully, that matchup won't happen until the final four. I do hope Creighton plays them straight up man in Omaha, pushing out at the three point line. I'm not saying Nova won't still get its points, but forcing them to cut, run, drive, move, etc. all game instead of lounging around the 3 point line while we stumble around trying to decide who we are supposed to be matching up against might help wear them down over the course of a game - and may also help get us back to the decent defensive rebounding we had been doing this year. We did force some turnovers when we played man, including 3 on Brunson.
cu blujs

Postby BEhomer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:05 pm

no. they have Spellman, DCR, CV who all can get better. also when they get booth and Samuels back they have some depth going into tourney.
BEhomer

Postby scoscox » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:54 pm

If nova flames out early in the tourney I’m gonna be pissed. Ditto to us and all the other big east teams, but especially nova
scoscox

Postby kayako » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:15 pm

scoscox wrote:If nova flames out early in the tourney I’m gonna be pissed. Ditto to us and all the other big east teams, but especially nova

We deserve the scrutiny after the past 4 years. In retrospect, we had it coming last year. Too much 1on1 isolation, no size, no depth especially when Paschall got in foul trouble, one of the slowest pace in the country (again recipe for disaster against slightly inferior 2nd round opponent), and a Wisconsin team that was an unimaginably bad 2nd round matchup.

I can't guarantee a trip to the final four, but barring a catastrophic injury, Nova's floor is a lot higher than last season imo.
supernova
kayako

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board