(4) BE Games-Saturday 2/3/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) BE Games-Saturday 2/3/18

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:53 am

"When an 0-11 Big East team beats the preseason title favorite, you have to at least be open to the idea that the new Big East is as good as the old Big East." - Ken Pomeroy, 3hrs ago
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:31 am

milksteak wrote:
billyjack wrote:If St John's can beat Duke today, then there will be a huge boost to everyone's RPI and perception, and the road to 7 teams becomes way more possible.

I thought PC's RPI if they go 9-9 is Top 50...?

If they go 9-9, they would be 18-13, assuming they don't win a BET game. 18 wins with their resume is not enough to make the field if you ask me. I think they could possibly sneak in with 19, but 18 would be very difficult.

I'd agree 100% with you. 19 wins really is what they need. It really shouldn't be too tough now- beating Georgetown, DePaul, Georgetown, and St John's(with 3/4 at home) gets them to 19 wins regular season even not getting wins over Nova, Butler, Seton Hall, and Xavier. 20 and it would be an absolute lock I think.

Where I disagree with billyjack is that the biggest problem for Marquette really has nothing to do with perception or anything. It's that they are running out of chances to get raw wins. They absolutely need 5 more wins to have a real shot- and there's now only 7 games left to do it. And of those 7- they have 2 with Creighton, and 1 left with Seton Hall. And they're now the only team left in the Big East that is unlucky to see St John's twice the rest of the season. I don't think there's a doubt that Marquette is one of the best 68 teams, but their resume just doesn't look like it's going to be good enough to make the tourney.
stever20

Postby sju88grad » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:58 am

sju88grad

Postby EMT » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:42 am

stever20 wrote:
milksteak wrote:
billyjack wrote:If St John's can beat Duke today, then there will be a huge boost to everyone's RPI and perception, and the road to 7 teams becomes way more possible.

I thought PC's RPI if they go 9-9 is Top 50...?

If they go 9-9, they would be 18-13, assuming they don't win a BET game. 18 wins with their resume is not enough to make the field if you ask me. I think they could possibly sneak in with 19, but 18 would be very difficult.

I'd agree 100% with you. 19 wins really is what they need. It really shouldn't be too tough now- beating Georgetown, DePaul, Georgetown, and St John's(with 3/4 at home) gets them to 19 wins regular season even not getting wins over Nova, Butler, Seton Hall, and Xavier. 20 and it would be an absolute lock I think.

Where I disagree with billyjack is that the biggest problem for Marquette really has nothing to do with perception or anything. It's that they are running out of chances to get raw wins. They absolutely need 5 more wins to have a real shot- and there's now only 7 games left to do it. And of those 7- they have 2 with Creighton, and 1 left with Seton Hall. And they're now the only team left in the Big East that is unlucky to see St John's twice the rest of the season. I don't think there's a doubt that Marquette is one of the best 68 teams, but their resume just doesn't look like it's going to be good enough to make the tourney.

I just don't think Marquette has the size and strength this year to make it. Even with a career night from Howard in the Dunk, it took a brain fart by Diallo to force OT. Since the PC & Nova outburst, Howard has only scored over his average 2 out of 7 games. Rowsey is the same 2 of 7. Not surprisingly, MU is 2-5 in those games.
EMT

Postby Friarsfan94 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:03 am

Rowsey stinks and he needs a new haircut ASAP. Come to think of it so does Howard. Who the hell’s got the clippers in Milwaukee???
Friarsfan94

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:39 am

This win could be just the wake up call that the Johnnies need. They haven’t been as bad in Conference as their record suggests. 8 of their 11 losses have been by 7 points or less. Lose @Seton Hall by 5, to Xavier by 5 and by 6, to Villanova by 7 and @Creighton by 7. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go on a run after this win. They could be dangerous by March in The Garden. Imagine if they hadn’t lost LoVett.
Bill Marsh

Postby SJUBBALL » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Bill Marsh wrote:This win could be just the wake up call that the Johnnies need. They haven’t been as bad in Conference as their record suggests. 8 of their 11 losses have been by 7 points or less. Lose @Seton Hall by 5, to Xavier by 5 and by 6, to Villanova by 7 and @Creighton by 7. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go on a run after this win. They could be dangerous by March in The Garden. Imagine if they hadn’t lost LoVett.

I’d love to see a magical run through the big east tournament. But we are incredibly short handed. 4 games in 4 days would be a lot to ask.

What I really want to see, is us finish this season strong, win that first game in the BET, fight hard in the quarterfinals, and end the year with some momentum. Because we actually will be a deep team next year. We return everyone except Ahmed and probably Lovett. And have two transfers and three recruits that will join team
SJUBBALL

Postby jfan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 pm

Don't look now, but the Hoyas are becoming very dangerous. They just barely lost to X and gave Creighton all they could handle. Both games were away games for Georgetown. I think that PE will be a great recruiter and his team is playing well together right now which is a sign of good coaching. I fully expect Georgetown to be back, maybe as soon as next year. Good news for the league, bad news for the other teams in the league.
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby kayako » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:29 pm

jfan wrote:Don't look now, but the Hoyas are becoming very dangerous. They just barely lost to X and gave Creighton all they could handle. Both games were away games for Georgetown. I think that PE will be a great recruiter and his team is playing well together right now which is a sign of good coaching. I fully expect Georgetown to be back, maybe as soon as next year. Good news for the league, bad news for the other teams in the league.

Nova, X, and Seton Hall probably takes a step back next season, while the bottom teams improve. Next season should look like this year's Big 12.
supernova
kayako

Postby jfan » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:52 pm

kayako wrote:
jfan wrote:Don't look now, but the Hoyas are becoming very dangerous. They just barely lost to X and gave Creighton all they could handle. Both games were away games for Georgetown. I think that PE will be a great recruiter and his team is playing well together right now which is a sign of good coaching. I fully expect Georgetown to be back, maybe as soon as next year. Good news for the league, bad news for the other teams in the league.

Nova, X, and Seton Hall probably takes a step back next season, while the bottom teams improve. Next season should look like this year's Big 12.
I'm sure it will depend on who leaves, but I'll believe Nova taking a step back when I see it!
CREIGHTON
jfan

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board