(4) BE Games-Saturday 2/3/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (4) BE Games-Saturday 2/3/18

Postby adoraz » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:27 am

I'm a relatively new SJU fan (since 2012), but this was easily my favorite W.

A close second would be @ Syracuse during Lavin's final year, and that one got us ranked and eventually into the tournament. So, the Cuse game seemingly had bigger implications since we're going nowhere this year. HOWEVER, we all know that Lavin and the team were completely reset after the season ended. Meanwhile, we're hopeful Mullin can be our coach of the future. It's critical we get a W like this since nearly everyone will be eligible to come back next year. We also have a few great recruits coming in. We very badly need to keep everyone happy.

Next year is really the year we can make noise. I was fearful we were going to have a lot of transfers and decommits, but this W makes that less likely.

Hoping we can built a bit on this and head into next year with optimism. Regardless, I am going to savor this W as the best one in a long time. Even if we lose the rest of the games this year and start getting angry again, at least we beat Duke in an incredibly exciting game.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:22 am

As a big fan since 2011 I'd have to say this is definitely the biggest win as well. The Duke fans were not happy at all after the game...as I'm hugging random SJ fans and giving out high fives, there was a bunch of Duke fans yelling things like "what's your record now?", "still suck", "you guys haven't been good since the 80's", etc. I just laughed at them and rubbed it in more. Screw them, we were having our moment in the sun. Even exiting MSG, tons of SJ fans were chanting "Let's go Johnnies!" and there were about 10 of us on our way to Stout and it became basically a parade from MSG to Stout (for those not in the area, it's a St. John's bar right by the Garden). It was so much fun to be walking down the streets of Manhattan and having people ask if we won or just randomly cheered. Also a fun train ride home. People were asking who won and when I said "Johnnies" strangers' eyes got wide :shock: .
MullinMayhem

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:45 am

MullinMayhem wrote:As a big fan since 2011

:o Ah, so that's where you get your perspective.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby MullinMayhem » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:20 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:

Lol...yes unfortunately I was not even close to being born during the golden years. We don't have to beat Duke all the time, I just want to see this team in the tourney on a fairly regular basis...3 out of every 5 years or something.
MullinMayhem

Postby NJRedman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:11 am

Right? Never even seen a Norm Roberts team in action.
NJRedman

Postby Hall2012 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:04 pm

NJRedman wrote:

Right? Never even seen a Norm Roberts team in action.

Yet loves to brag about all the Carnesecca era success lol
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby BigmanU » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 pm

jfan wrote:
kayako wrote:
jfan wrote:Don't look now, but the Hoyas are becoming very dangerous. They just barely lost to X and gave Creighton all they could handle. Both games were away games for Georgetown. I think that PE will be a great recruiter and his team is playing well together right now which is a sign of good coaching. I fully expect Georgetown to be back, maybe as soon as next year. Good news for the league, bad news for the other teams in the league.

Nova, X, and Seton Hall probably takes a step back next season, while the bottom teams improve. Next season should look like this year's Big 12.
I'm sure it will depend on who leaves, but I'll believe Nova taking a step back when I see it!

Nova takes a step back the minute Brunson leaves campus. Brunson is arguably the best player in Nova history. He is irreplaceble, unlike any other player that ever wore that uniform. Nova shouls still be very good but no longer dominant. Until then everyone else fights for #2.
BigmanU

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board