Marquette, With Howard-Rowsey Lineup Combinations...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:22 pm

https://medium.com/@ReferSadness/using- ... 986d45c919

Ton of information in the article at the linked site, which i'm still scrolling through.

Also, link here for Marquette fan discussion on the topic:

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=55485.0

This includes all non-conference and BE games. Both Howard and Rowsey have struggled on defense. Is it worth trying to keep one on the bench at all times? Howard's shooting pct decreases without Rowsey out there with him. I had been thinking that Rowsey should come off the bench as an instant-offense spark plug.

Anyway, i wanted to share this. Might be a good discussion.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Marquette, With Howard-Rowsey Lineup Combinations...

Postby billyjack » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm

Good summary by a Marquette poster in that thread (when only one of them is on the floor, Marquette's defense is really good... when both are out there it sucks... they don't have the breakdown for just Big East games, but to me with the eye test, Rowsey is 3 steps forward but 5 steps back):

"Looking at the information on the linked website I was struck by Team Ortg and Team Drtg.

With Howard and Rowsey: Ortg 122.73, Drtg 117.41
Howard, no Rowsey: Ortg 113.79, Drtg 91.64
Rowsey, no Howard: Ortg 110.07, Drtg 93.80

So what do I take from this? When the midgets play together, the offense goes through the roof, but is barely better than the team D, so it’s not worth much. When they play separately, the teams offense suffers, but still is above 110 points per 100 possessions, which is an excellent number. The team D jumps up to a suddenly respectable Drtg in the low 90s, which would make us a top 50 defensive team.

In order to maximize our offensive and defensive efficiency, it looks like splitting Howard and Rowsey is the smarter plan. There’s still something to the strategy of having two (three with Sam) great shooters on the floor together, but defensively we give up almost as much as we gain.

Unpopular, and unlikely opinion time: Wojo should start Rowsey and bring Howard off the bench."
billyjack

Return to Big East basketball message board