(1) Thurs. BE Game 2/1/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Thurs. BE Game 2/1/18

Postby CPJays » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:26 pm

mel ott wrote:I don't mind losing to a great team, and Nova is one. I think it's embarrassing that Jay keeps his starters in until the last 2 minutes up over 25. CU had put in two non schol. guys and subs w over 6 minutes to go down 20+. Also, Nova just kept on jacking up 3's. The last time we played in this arena , Wragge and D Mac did their damage at the beginning of the game and just pulled back at the end of the game. Perhaps we should have kept them in shooting til the end. I think it showed a lack of class and also he has a chance a starter could get hurt. I know people will say play hard to the end, but when up 25 you maybe want to consider playing those guys that work hard as scout team and give them minutes.

Get over it.
CPJays

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby mel ott » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:34 pm

CPJays wrote:
mel ott wrote:I don't mind losing to a great team, and Nova is one. I think it's embarrassing that Jay keeps his starters in until the last 2 minutes up over 25. CU had put in two non schol. guys and subs w over 6 minutes to go down 20+. Also, Nova just kept on jacking up 3's. The last time we played in this arena , Wragge and D Mac did their damage at the beginning of the game and just pulled back at the end of the game. Perhaps we should have kept them in shooting til the end. I think it showed a lack of class and also he has a chance a starter could get hurt. I know people will say play hard to the end, but when up 25 you maybe want to consider playing those guys that work hard as scout team and give them minutes.

Get over it.

What part of what I said doesn't make sense. Why keep starters in at the end ( and jacking up 3's) when 1) you have a short bench, 2) a starter could get injured, 3) you have no risk of losing, and 4) you reward guys on the bench that are working their asses off. I already said they are a great team, respect them, and it really doesn't matter if we get beat by 5,10, or 20. Just address my points if you want to comment.
mel ott

Postby jfan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:41 pm

novahoops11 wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:
All the ducks are lining up for a Jays win Thursday.

He meant all the Jays are lining up for a Cats win Thursday
CREIGHTON
jfan

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 pm

Mel, I agree in part with some of what you’re saying. But Jay did take Brunson and Bridges out around the 3:30 minute mark I believe. Then DiVincenzo about 30 seconds later. Keep in mind that we only have 7 rotational players so it’s not like they can take all 5 starters out at a time. Secondly it is in the team’s interest if the freshmen Gillespie, Spellman and Roundtree can get as much time as possible so they can develop in order to be better prepared come March. Also I don’t like seeing 3’s jacked up when they are up 20+ either but these are kids. They want to play the game hard when they are in there. Would you have preferred they deflate the ball and just turn every possession over as a clock violation? It’s not like Jay was drawing up plays to create 3s. He gives his players free reign offensively.

Lastly would it surprise you to know that in that Wragge game that your beloved Jays took four 3-pt shots (hitting 2) while up 30+? (I checked that game recap). I don’t recall any Nova fans crying about poor sportsmanship.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby cu blujs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm

I'm guessing you won't see Creighton play that match up zone in Omaha. Let's see, one of the top 3 point shooting teams in the country, 4 guys shoot over 40%, I know, let's put in a match up zone we have never used before surely we won't get ourselves all twisted up and leave 3 point shooters wide open all over the court, will we? Then five minutes into we are getting killed with it, but he sticks with it another five until we are 20 points down. For the life of me, I don't know what Mac was thinking. May not win the game anyway, but we would have been in the game a hell of a lot longer. We usually come up with really good game plans, but this one was a clunker.
cu blujs

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:09 pm

Also regarding that Wragge game, your boy Wragge, up 39, was still jacking 3’s. And your starting PG Chatman, was still on the floor the final minutes of the game up 30+. Just sayin’.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby ljay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Have it on DVR. Haven’t watched in years. Will need to watch to corroborate your take.
ljay

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:28 pm

ljay wrote:Have it on DVR. Haven’t watched in years. Will need to watch to corroborate your take.

You can find the game recap easily via ESPN. The play-by-play spells it all out.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:31 pm

I believe ya and have no issue with Nova. Quite a performance tonight.

I think wragge and the boys led by 40 at one point and really took their foot off the gas the last ten minutes or so.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby Devil's Advocate » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:37 pm

"This one time at band camp"

That game, that season was four years ago, no? Maybe create some new memories, Jays.
Devil's Advocate

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board