(1) Thurs. BE Game 2/1/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Thurs. BE Game 2/1/18

Postby cu blujs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:38 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:Mel, I agree in part with some of what you’re saying. But Jay did take Brunson and Bridges out around the 3:30 minute mark I believe. Then DiVincenzo about 30 seconds later. Keep in mind that we only have 7 rotational players so it’s not like they can take all 5 starters out at a time. Secondly it is in the team’s interest if the freshmen Gillespie, Spellman and Roundtree can get as much time as possible so they can develop in order to be better prepared come March. Also I don’t like seeing 3’s jacked up when they are up 20+ either but these are kids. They want to play the game hard when they are in there. Would you have preferred they deflate the ball and just turn every possession over as a clock violation? It’s not like Jay was drawing up plays to create 3s. He gives his players free reign offensively.

Lastly would it surprise you to know that in that Wragge game that your beloved Jays took four 3-pt shots (hitting 2) while up 30+? (I checked that game recap). I don’t recall any Nova fans crying about poor sportsmanship.

Fake news. If your going to say stuff at least be honest about it. Creighton took 3, yes 3, treys in the last ten and a half minutes of that game. Wragge took one and missed, Manigat took one and Brooks took one. Yes, Austin was in at the end, because he was the only PG on that team. In fact that team had 3 guards (I guess 4 if you count Manigat - starting off guard who really played small forward). We had no reserve or walk on point guards sitting on the bench. All guards available that year were regulars and all played nearly 20 or more minutes in that game. It would be tough to finish the last five minutes of that game without at least one guy out there who can dribble. Also, tough not to take some 3 pointers up 30+ In that game considering there were more than 12 minutes left.

Anyway, I don't really care who was in or how long. I have no problem with any coach playing to the buzzer. But man would a coach really kick himself if a Brunson got hurt because some walk on from the other team accidentally undercut him or tangled up feet. But, like I said, that's his decision.
cu blujs

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Novachap » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:41 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Creighton played well enough to win most games tonight. Villanova, the Champions, played much better-outplayed my guys in every facet of the game. Well done to #1 Villanova. This game was decided by halftime. Congrats to the Champs. Movín' on. Congrat Novachap, Gumby, & Chestrockwell. Helluva team you've got. Success going forward. My guys will rebound on DePaul. Again Congrats - there was no doubt that Villanova is worthy of being #1.

You da man GTMO... that new 7' frosh is going to be a stud. Catch you again for a much closer affair in Omaha.
Novachap

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:54 pm

I stand corrected; one of 3’s was to put the Jays up by 30, not after they were already up 30. But here are the other 3’s taken.
1). Jays 79-47. Doug M makes 3pt FG to go up 35
2). Jays 85-50. Manigat makes 3 pt FG to go up 38
3). Jays 90-51. Wragge takes 3 pt FG, misses. Prob disappointed that they couldn’t extend the lead to 42. Bummer.

Greg McDermott, up 30+ in the final minutes of the game, apparently fears that he has no one else that can handle the ball, so he keeps his starting PG in until the horn sounds.

So please spare me the holier than thou posts. You guys absolutely kicked our ass in that game. I still admit that to this day and have nothing but respect for the way that team took it to us. No crying, no blaming Big Mac for how he decided to coach his team. If Nova didn’t like it, they should have stopped Wragge and co.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:02 pm

No crying from most of us. Let's be clear on that.

Love watching nova play. Great team.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby cu blujs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:09 pm

Gumby, only one guy said anything. I was merely correcting what you put out there. Even in your reply you leave out that there was still almost eight minutes left in the game when Wragee took his last shot. With a shot clock someone has to shoot in the last 10 minutes of a game. Up one or up forty, unless you just want them to just hand the ball over. So don't go trying to make it something it wasn't.

For the record, I have zero problem with any shot the reserves took - up ten or up 50. Had the roles been reversed and the game in Omaha, I know damn well Jay fans would be pulling for the fellas to hit a 100 and/or break the 3 point made record.
cu blujs

Postby MackNova » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 pm

Villanova has zero bench. They basically have the 7 rotation players (without Booth and Samuels), the walk-ons, and Tim Delaney, who is essentially a walk-on as he's had numerous hip issues in his career.

Maybe Jay leaves the starters in a minute or two too long most games, but quite frankly, I don't care if other teams get angry about that. The only thing I worry about is if one of those players gets hurt.

It's a 40-minute basketball game - it doesn't get shortened just because your team is getting smashed. Jay doesn't like to put the walk-ons in until there is zero doubt. It's not as if Creighton is going to stop competing and trying to win if the walk-ons go in.

I was watching the end of Penn State-Michigan State the other night. Michigan State was up 15 with the ball with 1:20 left. With 17 seconds left, Penn State had an open three that would have cut the lead to 3 if it went in.

If Villanvoa had scholarship players available to turn to, I would understand the criticisms. But we don't.
MackNova

Postby MackNova » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:27 pm

cu blujs wrote:For the record, I have zero problem with any shot the reserves took - up ten or up 50. Had the roles been reversed and the game in Omaha, I know damn well Jay fans would be pulling for the fellas to hit a 100 and/or break the 3 point made record.

As you should! Whenever Creighton beats Villanova next, I expect Creighton fans to savor every moment and beat our faces in. February 24th will be a tough game. I'll take Villanova's chances against any team in the country at any venue, but it's hard to win at CenturyLink.
MackNova

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:53 pm

cu blujs wrote:Gumby, only one guy said anything. I was merely correcting what you put out there. Even in your reply you leave out that there was still almost eight minutes left in the game when Wragee took his last shot. With a shot clock someone has to shoot in the last 10 minutes of a game. Up one or up forty, unless you just want them to just hand the ball over. So don't go trying to make it something it wasn't.

For the record, I have zero problem with any shot the reserves took - up ten or up 50. Had the roles been reversed and the game in Omaha, I know damn well Jay fans would be pulling for the fellas to hit a 100 and/or break the 3 point made record.

All good. We agree more than we disagree. Good game. I very much enjoy the CU program, style of play and players. I think we were just in a shooting zone tonight. Looking forward to the return game in Omaha.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby BEhomer » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:24 am

up 20 with 2-3 min left is in no way a foregone conclusion. Teams can make 10-0 run and it can be 10 pt lead with a minute to go. if you have to put regulars back in at that point (and I've seen that happen also), man you look like a fool as a coach.
BEhomer

Postby Savannah Jay » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:50 am

The game Villanova played last night was a work of art and Brunson is the best player in the country I've seen play this year (better than the kid at Oklahoma, who just shoots a lot). Not sure why, on the telecast, they mentioned that Brunson would be national player of the year if not for Young at Oklahoma.

Brunson hits 55.8% of FG, 48.7% of his treys, and has 108 assists and 34 turnovers in 22 games. Simply amazing stats for a point guard.
Savannah Jay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board