(2) Wednesday BE Games 1/31/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Wednesday BE Games 1/31/18

Postby herodotus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:28 pm

Bad first half by Marquette. If they don't come back, Saturday's game vs PC becomes huge with road games at SH, and CU coming up. 7-11 isn't going to get it done on Selection Sunday.
herodotus

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby herodotus » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:45 pm

Wow, I don't think anyone expected this type of a beatdown on their home court.
herodotus

Postby milksteak » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:03 pm

Second time this season this team has looked invincible. I wish they could play like this every night.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby kmacker69 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:18 pm

Was not at all what I was expecting, but Butler had them frustrated all night long! :shock:
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:07 am

Absolutely embarrassing performance tonight - possibly the most embarrassing of the Wojo era (Iowa a few years ago is a close #2). This was a huge game for the team with tournament ramifications. No one on the team showed up. We could not guard anyone near the basket, we could not shoot, we passed the ball out of bounds, we were out of rhythm all night and did not get in sync for a run at any point during the game. From a coaching standpoint, none of the adjustments worked (if there were any), and from the looks of the game on TV, the staff (especially Wojo) just looked defeated and beat in the 2nd half.

Why guys like Howard and Rowsey were out there late, when we were down nearly 30 points, is just mind boggling. Howard nearly got seriously hurt in garbage time of a then-meaningless game.

This team has NIT written all over it - but, knowing our current administration - they will turn down an NIT appearance because it is "beneath" them.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby milksteak » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:37 am

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:This team has NIT written all over it - but, knowing our current administration - they will turn down an NIT appearance because it is "beneath" them.

I’ve never understood this mentality from certain programs. You should ALWAYS want the extra practices.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

Postby BEhomer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:47 am

so many blowouts this year in the league. I don't know why. is it just consistency? or teams not mentally tough enough to stay in the game?
BEhomer

Postby kmacker69 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 am

BEhomer wrote:so many blowouts this year in the league. I don't know why. is it just consistency? or teams not mentally tough enough to stay in the game?

Lots of good teams that match up poorly with other teams in the conference. When one team finds that and exploits it over and over, you get a blow out. (Last night Marq had no answer for Wideman at all, so he has a career night and blow out.)
Lets go Dawgs!
kmacker69

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:48 am

milksteak wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:This team has NIT written all over it - but, knowing our current administration - they will turn down an NIT appearance because it is "beneath" them.

I’ve never understood this mentality from certain programs. You should ALWAYS want the extra practices.

For the NIT, I agree. For anything below that, I think it depends but I have no issue with major conference teams declining - especially because those are all "pay to play" plus I believe the schools are responsible for their own travel and lodging - it winds up being a really expensive practice. I would only recommend a major conference school accepting an invitation to a tournament below the NIT if they have a very young team. In that case I could see the experience in a 1 and done tournament setting being more beneficial than staying home and scheduling some local scrimmages.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby Bluejay » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:13 am

Hall2012 wrote:
milksteak wrote:

For the NIT, I agree. For anything below that, I think it depends but I have no issue with major conference teams declining - especially because those are all "pay to play" plus I believe the schools are responsible for their own travel and lodging - it winds up being a really expensive practice. I would only recommend a major conference school accepting an invitation to a tournament below the NIT if they have a very young team. In that case I could see the experience in a 1 and done tournament setting being more beneficial than staying home and scheduling some local scrimmages.

I think I'm on board with Hall here, except that I think a very young team should always lean toward accepting the invite to a lower level tourney rather than leaning away. Not only is the one and done experience valuable, but it gives a coach some time to tinker around with lineups for the next year. No reason to turn down the NIT unless you plan on firing the head coach and see no reason to delay the inevitable.
Bluejay

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board