(1) Tuesday BE Game 1/30/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Tuesday BE Game 1/30/18

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:09 am

Excuse me for getting some sleep for work the next morning knowing what the result would be (and I was right) after seeing it literally 10x in a row. It's natural as a fan to turn games off when your team is this bad. I want to see everyone else acting like we should be all "rah-rah" do the same if they were 0-11. It's easy to critique fans of 0-11 teams when your team is routinely ranked and making tourneys. Guaranteed your boards would be in meltdown mode as well. UConn fans saw 4 championships in the last decade or so and now they say woe is me. Those are the people who you can critique. They've had the success...we have not at SJ. If we cannot force Mullin to hire a veteran assistant coach after this season, I say fire him immediately. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is the definition of insanity. When DePaul has passed us by (no offense) it's time to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if that's acceptable.
MullinMayhem

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Savannah Jay » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:11 am

Wizard of Westroads wrote:
MullinMayhem wrote:I went to bed at halftime knowing 100% what the result would be. I woke up and checked the score and laughed.

The true definition of "fan."

Maybe there are different kinds of fans...when Xavier was beating us like we just kicked a puppy or something, I couldn't pull myself away.
Savannah Jay

Postby hoops22 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:41 am

Real fans don't go to bed at 9:30 when you're facing the No. 6 team in the nation. MM has become unreadable, much like Stever. Just worthless commentary with a preset agenda. A real fan feels the pain in his gut. Less then 2 minutes to go, tie game, St. Johns ball: shot clock violation out of a timeout, then a defensive rebounding foul on a missed shot giving X two free throws, on offense wrong guy with the ball for a traveling violation, back to defense for a goaltending call. Not to mention three of four free throws missed down the strtch. Just brutal, when will it end? The guys did play hard though, despite the emotional toll this has to be taking on them. Have to respect that.
hoops22

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:19 pm

hoops22 wrote:Real fans don't go to bed at 9:30 when you're facing the No. 6 team in the nation. MM has become unreadable, much like Stever. Just worthless commentary with a preset agenda. A real fan feels the pain in his gut. Less then 2 minutes to go, tie game, St. Johns ball: shot clock violation out of a timeout, then a defensive rebounding foul on a missed shot giving X two free throws, on offense wrong guy with the ball for a traveling violation, back to defense for a goaltending call. Not to mention three of four free throws missed down the strtch. Just brutal, when will it end? The guys did play hard though, despite the emotional toll this has to be taking on them. Have to respect that.

I don't have a problem with him tuning out the team and doing something else (in this case, he went to sleep). I still watch the games when I'm not doing anything else, but if I have something else to do, then I'm not going to watch. I feel bad for the kids, but not so much for the suits on the sidelines. They created the problem and need to learn how to correct it or keep it movin'.

The problem with MM/SJHooper has already been mentioned by myself. He's too reactionary, and too often uses fallacies and hyperbole to make his points. Maybe, the worst part of it is I sense he feels entitled to have a winning team (he roots for the Jets, Mets, Islanders, Knicks and St. John's). Because, none of those teams are winning enough (if, at all) or can't bring him a championship, then he goes into his "woe is me" rants. Just a sense of entitlement.

Otherwise, I kind of feel where he's coming from in regards to Mullin.
Red Rooster

Postby BigEast1 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:21 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Excuse me for getting some sleep for work the next morning knowing what the result would be (and I was right) after seeing it literally 10x in a row. It's natural as a fan to turn games off when your team is this bad. I want to see everyone else acting like we should be all "rah-rah" do the same if they were 0-11. It's easy to critique fans of 0-11 teams when your team is routinely ranked and making tourneys. Guaranteed your boards would be in meltdown mode as well. UConn fans saw 4 championships in the last decade or so and now they say woe is me. Those are the people who you can critique. They've had the success...we have not at SJ. If we cannot force Mullin to hire a veteran assistant coach after this season, I say fire him immediately. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is the definition of insanity. When DePaul has passed us by (no offense) it's time to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if that's acceptable.

It's natural as a fan to turn games off when your team is this bad? That might be one the dumbest thing I've ever heard a sports fan say. By that account you should turn off all of the games you watch at the midway point since your teams are all so bad as you claim. No one is saying that watching bad teams lose over & over is fun, but if your reasoning is that the team is so bad, or that you know what the outcome will be, then why bother even watching at all? Makes no sense. Just stop watching, stop rooting, stop attending games and you will probably have less stress in your life. :lol:
BigEast1

Postby billyjack » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:44 pm

This is an obscure reference, but any time i see a team lose a string of tough close games, i think back to the 1993 Patriots, which was Bill Parcells' first season in New England.

A series of crushing tight game losses put them at 1-11 after 4 previous sucky seasons. Parcells would say "you are what you're record says you are" and they were a team that needed to learn to win close tight games.

The floodgates opened in week 13, and they went on a 4-0 tear to finish 5-11. In 1994 they made the playoffs. 2 years after that they made the Super Bowl.

That 1993 season started an amazing 25 year run (had just a couple of underwhelming years).

St John's has only 1 senior, and it's just Alibegovic, so not a big loss. They just need to re-learn how to win late (remember they won close game vs Oregon State and UCF and St Joseph's).
Providence
billyjack

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:43 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:I root for some god awful teams like the Jets, Knicks, Isles, Mets, etc. but man I really have never experienced anything quite like this season as a SJ fan. Most of the losses in conference were nail-biters to the very end, however usually teams will come away winning about half or so of the nail-biters. Flip a coin. This season, we have nearly beat essentially every top team in the Big East, however we always seem to get 1 awful call from the refs at the worst possible time or we commit a ridiculous turnover or foul. We can never close out. I went to bed at halftime knowing 100% what the result would be. I woke up and checked the score and laughed. It seems every game is the same for us. Close but no cigar. Terrible in crunch time. Awful call late. Another L. Being 0-11 is not by chance or by accident. It's partially the bad coaching, partially terrible calls at the worst possible time, and partially LoVett being a wuss and giving up on his team.

St. John's, always the bridesmaid, never the bride! Hope everyone else is having fun...you guys should take SJ fans out to dinner for donating automatic wins in a conference where that almost never happens.

This is how I know you're only like 20 years old. As someone whos brother is a Jets/Mets/Knicks fans there have been many MANY worse seasons than ours. I'd rather lose every game and be close than win one game and the rest be blow outs.
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:46 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The end of the game was basically a coin flip. I haven't watched a lot of the Johnnies but its hard to believe they are 0-11 in BE play. If most of this team sticks around I bet a lot of these close games to turn into W's for the Redmen.

Also, not sure about the Kanter call but the foul call to put Trevon at the line was bs. Something that X does and every team should (unfortunately) is know how to sell fouls.

Do the Johnnies look like a poorly coached team or a short handed team?
NJRedman

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:51 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:Excuse me for getting some sleep for work the next morning knowing what the result would be (and I was right) after seeing it literally 10x in a row. It's natural as a fan to turn games off when your team is this bad. I want to see everyone else acting like we should be all "rah-rah" do the same if they were 0-11. It's easy to critique fans of 0-11 teams when your team is routinely ranked and making tourneys. Guaranteed your boards would be in meltdown mode as well. UConn fans saw 4 championships in the last decade or so and now they say woe is me. Those are the people who you can critique. They've had the success...we have not at SJ. If we cannot force Mullin to hire a veteran assistant coach after this season, I say fire him immediately. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results is the definition of insanity. When DePaul has passed us by (no offense) it's time to look in the mirror and ask ourselves if that's acceptable.

Thats not actually the definition of insanity. It's a misquoted line from narcotics anonymous in 1981.

The price may seem higher for the addict who prostitutes for a fix than it is for the addict who merely lies to a doctor, but ultimately both pay with their lives. Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/03/23/same/

Only an idiot wants to fire Mullin immediately.
NJRedman

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Luv the Muskies...one of my fav teams. Just want the race to tighten up a bit...put a bit of pressure on Nova and X. Both are on cruise control and enjoying the scenery a bit too much. That is all.

Was hoping the Johnnies would lend a hand. Looks like the Jays will have to do the heavy liftng themselves.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board