(1) Tuesday BE Game 1/30/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (1) Tuesday BE Game 1/30/18

Postby Red Rooster » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:40 pm

billyjack wrote:This is an obscure reference, but any time i see a team lose a string of tough close games, i think back to the 1993 Patriots, which was Bill Parcells' first season in New England.

A series of crushing tight game losses put them at 1-11 after 4 previous sucky seasons. Parcells would say "you are what you're record says you are" and they were a team that needed to learn to win close tight games.

The floodgates opened in week 13, and they went on a 4-0 tear to finish 5-11. In 1994 they made the playoffs. 2 years after that they made the Super Bowl.

That 1993 season started an amazing 25 year run (had just a couple of underwhelming years).

I think Mullin badly needs two, new assistant coaches with experience of the college game. One coach who is supposedly a solid, X's and O's guy, and who can help with in-game coaching and adjustments. Another coach who is what I'd call a "50/50" guy. He can help compliment the coaching side of things, as well as being tough on the recruiting trail. Do those things, and no one transfers out and all the incoming recruits stay on board, then I think they may can have something for next season.

St John's has only 1 senior, and it's just Alibegovic, so not a big loss. They just need to re-learn how to win late (remember they won close game vs Oregon State and UCF and St Joseph's).

They have two seniors. Bashir Ahmed is the other senior. I'm not particularly fond of his game, though.
Red Rooster

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:48 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
billyjack wrote:This is an obscure reference, but any time i see a team lose a string of tough close games, i think back to the 1993 Patriots, which was Bill Parcells' first season in New England.

A series of crushing tight game losses put them at 1-11 after 4 previous sucky seasons. Parcells would say "you are what you're record says you are" and they were a team that needed to learn to win close tight games.

The floodgates opened in week 13, and they went on a 4-0 tear to finish 5-11. In 1994 they made the playoffs. 2 years after that they made the Super Bowl.

That 1993 season started an amazing 25 year run (had just a couple of underwhelming years).

I think Mullin badly needs two, new assistant coaches with experience of the college game. One coach who is supposedly a solid, X's and O's guy, and who can help with in-game coaching and adjustments. Another coach who is what I'd call a "50/50" guy. He can help compliment the coaching side of things, as well as being tough on the recruiting trail. Do those things, and no one transfers out and all the incoming recruits stay on board, then I think they may can have something for next season.

St John's has only 1 senior, and it's just Alibegovic, so not a big loss. They just need to re-learn how to win late (remember they won close game vs Oregon State and UCF and St Joseph's).

They have two seniors. Bashir Ahmed is the other senior. I'm not particularly fond of his game, though.

I agree on Bash, he plays too much me ball for my liking. It's one thing for a guy like DLo to do that because he was consistently good, its another for a guy like Bash who isn't s good or consistent to do it. But he's one of ours and i'll love the kid to death.
NJRedman

Postby XUFan09 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:22 pm

DudeAnon wrote:The end of the game was basically a coin flip. I haven't watched a lot of the Johnnies but its hard to believe they are 0-11 in BE play. If most of this team sticks around I bet a lot of these close games to turn into W's for the Redmen.

Also, not sure about the Kanter call but the foul call to put Trevon at the line was bs. Something that X does and every team should (unfortunately) is know how to sell fouls.

They had a makeup call on the other end for that bad call, but trading two shots at the line by Bluiett with two shots at the line by Ahmed is hardly an even trade. It didn't surprise me when Bluiett made both and Ahmed missed one, so it wasn't an even exchange. The goaltending call was *technically* correct by the tiniest margins, but in practical, live-action terms, holy hell, that play was a coin flip.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:03 pm

When I'm the only SJ fan here with any semblance of expectations of course by comparison I will appear crazy. I think people are crazy for always moving goalposts and not having expectations. Of course I'm reactionary, giving fan reactions are part and parcel of sports forums. How dare I sell milk at the dairy barn! :lol:
MullinMayhem

Postby NJRedman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 pm

MullinMayhem wrote:When I'm the only SJ fan here with any semblance of expectations of course by comparison I will appear crazy. I think people are crazy for always moving goalposts and not having expectations. Of course I'm reactionary, giving fan reactions are part and parcel of sports forums. How dare I sell milk at the dairy barn! :lol:

You appear crazy because you were complaining last year when we won 7 conference games.
NJRedman

Postby DudeAnon » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 am

XUFan09 wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:The end of the game was basically a coin flip. I haven't watched a lot of the Johnnies but its hard to believe they are 0-11 in BE play. If most of this team sticks around I bet a lot of these close games to turn into W's for the Redmen.

Also, not sure about the Kanter call but the foul call to put Trevon at the line was bs. Something that X does and every team should (unfortunately) is know how to sell fouls.

They had a makeup call on the other end for that bad call, but trading two shots at the line by Bluiett with two shots at the line by Ahmed is hardly an even trade. It didn't surprise me when Bluiett made both and Ahmed missed one, so it wasn't an even exchange. The goaltending call was *technically* correct by the tiniest margins, but in practical, live-action terms, holy hell, that play was a coin flip.

lol, yea, i remember the make-up call now. College officiating is ridiculous.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board