(2) BE Games-Sunday 1/28/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) BE Games-Sunday 1/28/18

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:59 pm

Westbrook#36 wrote:That was a very good game today in the Bradley Center, absolutely a great college basketball environment. Sorry if I ruffle some feathers, just still a little worked up after an great ending to a great game. Again didn't really want to rub salt into the wounds, just some post game banter that escalated a little bit.

Nothing greater than loyal and passionate fans. It's all good Westy, it's all good. ;)
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby marquette » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:12 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:
Westbrook#36 wrote:That was a very good game today in the Bradley Center, absolutely a great college basketball environment. Sorry if I ruffle some feathers, just still a little worked up after an great ending to a great game. Again didn't really want to rub salt into the wounds, just some post game banter that escalated a little bit.

Nothing greater than loyal and passionate fans. It's all good Westy, it's all good. ;)

In with git on this. It's college, we all care more because we are connected in one way or another. Be passionate.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:22 pm

My boy Paschall was 5 of 5 from the 3?? It's a good thing he will be at the Toastmasters Buffet on Thursday nite. My boy...

...Oh, 5 of 5 (both games)... whew! I was fearing that the love of God had gotten into him and that he was a changed man.

"Another half dozen eclairs, please." :lol:
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:25 pm

I am a big fan of Howard, but he played like crap today. Nova was fortunate to get out of there with a W. That was the best crowd noise I've heard in a Big East game this season.
supernova
kayako

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:20 pm

MarquetteRustler wrote:
Letsgonova wrote:
MarquetteRustler wrote:Villanova with "great defense" and "great rebounding" to close out the game.

You guys were lucky to even be close. Worst defense I've seen Villanova play all year.

You'll be lucky to make it past the first weekend with your D.

'
I love comments like this. You played very well against a team that is HURT right now. I'm sorry you lost but considering we have beat you in 12 out of the last 13 games you are probably used to it by now. Get over it and move on.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby billyjack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 am

I'm watching the Villanova-Marquette game on tape. I'm at the 6:34 mark of the first half.

Some observations so far...

First, I'm trying to hold off on being critical of Wojo and his Warriors and their style of play. But it's not my favorite look. The pre-Wojo teams, the Marquette style, from my perspective, was that they were tough badasses. Blunt, tough, beat the crap out of you. Like an NFL or rugby team on the hardwood. Work the paint, don't back down.

Wojo's team has taken on the personality of Duke and the ACC. Like most of the ACC, Marquette is a jump-shooting team that doesn't or just can't play defense. Duke can do this and win, because they recruit top high school stars, and because Coach K is a douche who swears at the refs all game and gets every call. It is a really tough strategy otherwise.

Anyway, couple of things i noticed:
- mid-1st, Brunson banked in a three, and bent his ankle because after the shot Theo John stuck his foot way out to cause the ankle injury. It looked deliberate. If so, that's pretty bad. Boston College did this to Bentil deliberately one year at the Dunk, and it affected Bentil and PC all year. Mississippi State did it once to Bryce Cotton deliberately, again hosing PC all season.

- Rowsey sucks. Clueless on defense. Slow feet. Gets burned repeatedly. Continually fouls his opponents. Doesn't know how to rebound. Also, doesn't shut up. Pushed and got away with the shove against Brunson. At 6:34 of the 1st, on a rebound off a Paschal miss, Rowsey faced away from the basket and held 21 Cosby-Roundtree. Foul called on Cosby and Jay Wright flipped out.

Rowsey is a ball hog and threw up bricks in the first 10 minutes, sucked on D and got 2 fouls. Howard drilled a bunch of 3's to keep Marquette in the game.

Froling doesn't know how to throw picks. Constantly throwing moving picks, then complaining about being whistled.

So far the crowd is awesome and i like Howard a lot, and i like the running game look, but wow, Rowsey is a douche. The only impressive thing about Rowsey is his generous use of hairspray. Would be a great TV anchor someday.

Ok, all for now. Still got 26 minutes left to watch.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MUWarrior1090 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:04 am

billyjack wrote:I'm watching the Villanova-Marquette game on tape. I'm at the 6:34 mark of the first half.

First, I'm trying to hold off on being critical of Wojo and his Warriors and their style of play. But it's not my favorite look. The pre-Wojo teams, the Marquette style, from my perspective, was that they were tough badasses. Blunt, tough, beat the crap out of you. Like an NFL or rugby team on the hardwood. Work the paint, don't back down.

Wojo's team has taken on the personality of Duke and the ACC. Like most of the ACC, Marquette is a jump-shooting team that doesn't or just can't play defense. Duke can do this and win, because they recruit top high school stars, and because Coach K is a douche who swears at the refs all game and gets every call. It is a really tough strategy otherwise.

- mid-1st, Brunson banked in a three, and bent his ankle because after the shot Theo John stuck his foot way out to cause the ankle injury. It looked deliberate. If so, that's pretty bad. Boston College did this to Bentil deliberately one year at the Dunk, and it affected Bentil and PC all year. Mississippi State did it once to Bryce Cotton deliberately, again hosing PC all season.

- Rowsey sucks. Clueless on defense. Slow feet. Gets burned repeatedly. Continually fouls his opponents. Doesn't know how to rebound. Also, doesn't shut up. Pushed and got away with the shove against Brunson. At 6:34 of the 1st, on a rebound off a Paschal miss, Rowsey faced away from the basket and held 21 Cosby-Roundtree. Foul called on Cosby and Jay Wright flipped out.

Rowsey is a ball hog and threw up bricks in the first 10 minutes, sucked on D and got 2 fouls. Howard drilled a bunch of 3's to keep Marquette in the game.

Froling doesn't know how to throw picks. Constantly throwing moving picks, then complaining about being whistled.

So far the crowd is awesome and i like Howard a lot, and i like the running game look, but wow, Rowsey is a douche. The only impressive thing about Rowsey is his generous use of hairspray. Would be a great TV anchor someday.

Lol wait what? You watched that game, where Rowsey went 8-16 for 29 points and kept Marquette close. And Howard went 5-18 and played arguably the worst game of his season. And your conclusion was that Rowsey sucks?
MUWarrior1090

Postby billyjack » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 am

Actually i wrote that with 6:30 left in the first half.

I just finished watching the game.

In the early part of the game, Howard hit some key shots to keep things close. Then his shots fell way short i guess due to tired legs.

Rowsey, positives:
- last basket was worthless, but still a great 7-for-15 for 27. Can't believe he only missed 8 shots.
- great at drawing fouls while taking a three pointer. Tip of the hat to him.
- couple of times drained 2 straight threes to bring a 10 point deficit down to 4 or so.
- his haircut and use of hairspray.

Rowsey, negatives:
- can't guard for sh-t.
- gets 3 fouls, then to get his 4th foul needs to take a tire iron to a guy's head before he gets whistled (maybe that's a positive). Just pretty obvious how much he's protected by the refs.
- on what seemed like a bunch of occasions, killed Marquette runs with insanely stupid shots. Cain and Anim had some important inside plays for buckets... followed either by Rowsey pull up bombs for bricks, or Rowsey ill-advised shots in the lane, one very late in particular when he got blocked by DiVincenzo. Just my take, and yeah i could be wrong, but his ball-hogging just crushed some runs. If you got Anim hot, then keep feedibg the guy.
- Marquette took a lead at like 42-40 on two 3's by Cain. MU up 44-42, VU ball, Gillespie hit a 3 and fouled, wide open because Rowsey was d-cking around under the hoop, but then he ran out to foul Gillespie on the shot.
- got his pocket picked by Brunson mid-2nd for a key turnover and score.
- DiVincenzo torched him repeatedly.
- Rowsey takes Marquette 3 steps forward then 5 steps back.

Couple of other game comments...
- outstanding strip by Bridges at the end. As Len Elmore said, the key is to look at the shooter's arms to determine if there was a foul.
- outstanding rebound by Bridges at the end. #2 Anim (i think) had the correct rebounding position at first, but instead chased Paschal up toward the free throw line... wtf...? #23 Cain had no position, and had to win the footrace with Bridges, which Bridges won... just cuz Cain flopped doesn't mean it was a foul.

- Howard's legs were tired in the 2nd half, which is why every shot of his was short.

- Brunson is Big East Player of the Year. Looked like Wojo sent the goon squad out to injure him.

Hey, I've been working late here as i watched, and maybe i missed some things during the game, and so my posts here may look crazy when i re-read them tomorrow. To me, Rowsey is a guy who needs to come off the bench as a sparkplug, a Vinny Johnson type. If he stays on the court too long he gets exposed. But i'm a little nuts so i could be way off.

Bottom line, an outstanding Big East game between 2 NCAA teams.
Providence
billyjack

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:20 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:My boy Paschall was 5 of 5 from the 3?? It's a good thing he will be at the Toastmasters Buffet on Thursday nite. My boy...

...Oh, 5 of 5 (both games)... whew! I was fearing that the love of God had gotten into him and that he was a changed man.

"Another half dozen eclairs, please." :lol:

Gtmo, you've got an unhealthy obsession with Mr. Paschall. The kid has been terrific for us. Here are some #s to illuminate the pain coming the Jays way.

In conference:
69% FG
65% 3FG

And he's our 5th option on offense. Uh-oh! :shock: :D

Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby DanofXav76 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:35 pm

billyjack wrote:I'm watching the Villanova-Marquette game on tape. I'm at the 6:34 mark of the first half.

Watched and enjoyed the whole game yesterday. I thought the same thing on the Theo John/Brunson play but the announcers didn't question it and thought it was just me (I like Brian Anderson btw, solid play by play guy). I remember this type of thing happened to the Spurs best player in the NBA playoffs last year and Pop called the guy out, as the offender had a history of doing that. I guess it's hard to tell intent, but pretty helpless feeling for the jump shooter being vulnerable in that situation.
DanofXav76

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board