Burning a redshirt - how late is too late?

The home for Big East hoops

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 pm

Tonight Creighton played Jacob Epperson for the first time. This was in light of season ending injury. Epperson was scheduled to redshirt, but by playing in tonight's game – the 22nd of the season - the staff decided to burn the redshirt.

I cannot remember a decision as late in the season as this. I wonder if any of the programs have had a similar circumstance?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Burning a redshirt - how late is too late?

Postby Jet915 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:10 am

I'm glad Mac decided to do it. Epperson is very much in the mold of Patton. Just needs to get stronger and bigger. He gives us pressure on the rim on offense similar to Krampelj and can run the floor.
Jet915

Postby Bluejay » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:05 am

As long as a kid and his parents are on board with the decision, it is fine.
Bluejay

Postby BEhomer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:29 am

I really don't like redshirting. I just think that's small school mentality. If you are tourney team and think the kid can contribute in anyway you put him on the bench. It just gives you another option during the tournament. you should take the all hands on deck approach.
BEhomer

Postby chicagojayfan » Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:43 pm

BEhomer wrote:I really don't like redshirting. I just think that's small school mentality. If you are tourney team and think the kid can contribute in anyway you put him on the bench. It just gives you another option during the tournament. you should take the all hands on deck approach.

I think it really depends. Creighton takes a lot of skilled bigs who aren't physically ready to take the pounding in the BE as true freshman and uses the RS time on S&C. It worked out very well for Patton and I think it is working out well for Epperson.

If they hadn't redshirted Epperson, I don't think he would have put on the added muscle that he has right now, and he really needed the 20 or so lbs of weight and strength that he's gained.
chicagojayfan

Postby BEhomer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:44 pm

chicagojayfan wrote:
BEhomer wrote:I really don't like redshirting. I just think that's small school mentality. If you are tourney team and think the kid can contribute in anyway you put him on the bench. It just gives you another option during the tournament. you should take the all hands on deck approach.

I think it really depends. Creighton takes a lot of skilled bigs who aren't physically ready to take the pounding in the BE as true freshman and uses the RS time on S&C. It worked out very well for Patton and I think it is working out well for Epperson.

If they hadn't redshirted Epperson, I don't think he would have put on the added muscle that he has right now, and he really needed the 20 or so lbs of weight and strength that he's gained.

so why can't they play and do that (put on weight or work on their game) at the same time? Patton was not staying for 4 yrs anyway. you're telling me they couldn't have used him for some min off the bench in the tourney his freshman year?
BEhomer

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:37 pm

BEhomer wrote:
chicagojayfan wrote:

so why can't they play and do that (put on weight or work on their game) at the same time? Patton was not staying for 4 yrs anyway. you're telling me they couldn't have used him for some min off the bench in the tourney his freshman year?

Strength and conditioning is more effective when a player can focus on it compared to when it is secondary to being ready for games. For example, no active players are doing strenuous weight-lifting or difficult calisthenics the day before a game, or they risk not being 100% when it matters. Games are twice a week, so that really disrupts any steady workout regimen. A redshirt player, though, can focus entirely on his regimen. Heck, he can do a heavy lifting day on game day if that is next up in his schedule.

Because of this, Patton wouldn't have been as effective in his second year at Creighton if he had played a few minutes per game in his first year there.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby BEhomer » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:03 pm

basketball season is 4 months. you still have 8 months to work on that.

I didn't realize they missed the tourney that year so it may be a moot point. that would be the only time to redshirt a guy. (when you think you have no shot at post season)
BEhomer

Postby XUFan09 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:13 pm

BEhomer wrote:basketball season is 4 months. you still have 8 months to work on that.

I didn't realize they missed the tourney that year so it may be a moot point. that would be the only time to redshirt a guy. (when you think you have no shot at post season)

So you're suggesting that a player significantly diminish their ability to add muscle for a third of a year when they are at prime point in their physical development in order to play a few minutes a game?
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby stever20 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:17 am

going back and answering some stuff.. seen some guys in college football literally burning their redshirt year in the conference title game. So, that's MUCH further down the road than this is.
stever20

Return to Big East basketball message board