The bottom three

The home for Big East hoops

Re: The bottom three

Postby Westbrook#36 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:30 am

Georgetown has fallen really far, but they haven't dug themselves anywhere near the size hole that St. John's has and DePaul, I'm sure most of us have pretty much completely given up on them. Give Ewing sometime to get some talent on that roster then see what he does. So far he looks solid.
Westbrook#36

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:35 am

Georgetown's perimeter players are either young or mediocre. But Patrick's done a good job with the bigs and they play as a team, so I'd give him high marks for his first season. I was skeptical that his pro experience would translate long term, but not so much now.

Leitao is a decent coach, and they're better in year 3, but seems like that's an awfully slow arc to call it progress. Mullin's third year team is a tougher out than DePaul, and Mullin is considered a disaster by some. So maybe the Leitao/Mullin comparison just depends on expectations.
Wizard of Westroads

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:03 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:Georgetown's perimeter players are either young or mediocre. But Patrick's done a good job with the bigs and they play as a team, so I'd give him high marks for his first season. I was skeptical that his pro experience would translate long term, but not so much now.

Leitao is a decent coach, and they're better in year 3, but seems like that's an awfully slow arc to call it progress. Mullin's third year team is a tougher out than DePaul, and Mullin is considered a disaster by some. So maybe the Leitao/Mullin comparison just depends on expectations.

Yeah, I've liked what I've seen from Patrick & Co so far. Patrick has so many advantages being at Georgetown. It is a very prestigious university in a great setting with a rich program history. No offense intended SJU (and DePaul)--and I love me some NYC--but the schools, as total packages, just don't compare. Mullin's (and Leitao's) would seem to have a harder sell. Patrick can walk in, discuss all the NBA pros G'town has produced over the years, discuss how he's a HOFer, talk about the top-notch education that these kids are going to get at G'town, and have them visit that great campus. I would think he'd be able to close easily. Chris is a HOFer and NY is NY. Nice but not in the same class. I've never been to DePaul so I can't speak to the experience out there, but Leitao is not a HOFer and there has not been much excitement about the program in 40 years. So if I had to place my money on which of these 3 we could expect a turnaround at, I'll put my $ on the Hoyas and it's not even close.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Burrito » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Ewing needs to upgrade the backcourt asap. It's the worst in the conference. With the DePaul and St. John's games behind them, the remaining schedule for the Hoyas will likely be against all NCAA tournament teams. The losses will mount up quickly.
Last edited by Burrito on Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Burrito

Postby Edrick » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:36 pm

Well, St Johns understands their role.
Edrick

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:46 pm

The Hoyas will be back. How can some of you people be criticizing Ewing in here? He inherited the team. Give him a couple years before you can judge him!
DeadHeadHoya

Postby Irishdawg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:16 pm

Georgetown's going to be fine, IMO. I don't know how well Ewing is with X's and O's yet, but I don't think there's any doubt that his players are going to get better, and the talent is going to be there.
Irishdawg

Postby Omaha1 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 pm

Irishdawg wrote:Georgetown's going to be fine, IMO. I don't know how well Ewing is with X's and O's yet, but I don't think there's any doubt that his players are going to get better, and the talent is going to be there.

Hoyas already appear miles ahead of St Johns.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board