(2) Big East Games on Tuesday 1/23/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Big East Games on Tuesday 1/23/18

Postby Westbrook#36 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 am

billyjack wrote:Lol, no, just having fun.

Villanova is amazing. So many ways to beat you. Relentless for 40 minutes. If an opponent struggles for 2 minutes it results in an 18 point swing. Really fun team to watch.

Having said that, i thought my post was kinda funny.

I'm with you billy, your post was kinda of funny, not your best work ;) , but funny non the less. Yeah the refs were really, really inconsistent tonight
Westbrook#36

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Omaha1 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:06 am

SJU is going to beat some teams in the Big East. Just glad it's not us this year.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am

Everything that needs to be said has already been said before...Mullin is a failure of epic proportions and anyone with a brain and a set of eyes knows as long as he's coach he will keep us on the bottom of the Big East standings. There are rumors swirling from insiders that he never draws up plays, never condemns stupid shot selection, and has a very "freestyle" atmosphere where he treats the kids as professionals with less structure. Who knows if it's true or not, but these would all make complete sense based on what we are seeing.

Again guys, this is NOT a rebuilding year for us. I don't care if we lose by 80 or 1. A loss counts the same regardless. You either win or lose, so enough with the ridiculous moral victory crap or coaches saying we are "in the games". Mullin's not getting paid $2 million a year to go freaking 8-40 in the Big East and hope to play some close games we almost won. He's getting paid that salary not just to win but to make the tournament. It used to be that we were mediocre with a few decent years mixed in. Now we aren't mediocre...we are rock bottom and even DEPAUL has surpassed us! I was willing to give Mullin 1 more year but you know what? 8-40 means you cannot coach. It means you are clueless. If it were up to me I'd actually grow a pair and fire him then call up Danny Hurley IMMEDIATELY. I wouldn't let UConn steal him. Would we lose all our recruits? Yeah, so what? What's the point of good players without a coach? You need the coach first. I have a very, very hard time believing a guy like Hurley would have such awful results by year 3. I don't care what it looks like to other coaches. Do you want coaches to think you are playing nice or do you want to win? 100% either Hurley or the Albany coach would come if we fired Mullin.

It's honestly incredible how consistently we lose...I believe someone ran the probability we'd be 0-8 this year and it came out to 1%. Now we are 0-9. As for the fans of other programs thinking I'm being dramatic or that we have any hope left with Mullin, you need to look yourself in the mirror and tell me this would be acceptable with your program. Didn't think so.
MullinMayhem

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Everything that needs to be said has already been said before...Mullin is a failure of epic proportions and anyone with a brain and a set of eyes knows as long as he's coach he will keep us on the bottom of the Big East standings. There are rumors swirling from insiders that he never draws up plays, never condemns stupid shot selection, and has a very "freestyle" atmosphere where he treats the kids as professionals with less structure. Who knows if it's true or not, but these would all make complete sense based on what we are seeing.

Again guys, this is NOT a rebuilding year for us. I don't care if we lose by 80 or 1. A loss counts the same regardless. You either win or lose, so enough with the ridiculous moral victory crap or coaches saying we are "in the games". Mullin's not getting paid $2 million a year to go freaking 8-40 in the Big East and hope to play some close games we almost won. He's getting paid that salary not just to win but to make the tournament. It used to be that we were mediocre with a few decent years mixed in. Now we aren't mediocre...we are rock bottom and even DEPAUL has surpassed us! I was willing to give Mullin 1 more year but you know what? 8-40 means you cannot coach. It means you are clueless. If it were up to me I'd actually grow a pair and fire him then call up Danny Hurley IMMEDIATELY. I wouldn't let UConn steal him. Would we lose all our recruits? Yeah, so what? What's the point of good players without a coach? You need the coach first. I have a very, very hard time believing a guy like Hurley would have such awful results by year 3. I don't care what it looks like to other coaches. Do you want coaches to think you are playing nice or do you want to win? 100% either Hurley or the Albany coach would come if we fired Mullin.

It's honestly incredible how consistently we lose...I believe someone ran the probability we'd be 0-8 this year and it came out to 1%. Now we are 0-9. As for the fans of other programs thinking I'm being dramatic or that we have any hope left with Mullin, you need to look yourself in the mirror and tell me this would be acceptable with your program. Didn't think so.

You're being dramatic. There I just said it. He doesn't draw up plays? Do you even watch the games? Did you not see the drawn up plays out of breaks? Did you not see the adjustment at halftime that got us back into the game? You clearly don't know what you're talking about when it comes to coaching. I don't care what you think but this is and was always a rebuilding year. It's year 3 of a complete overhaul. You are a overzealous cry baby who was complaining last year when we were winning.

No one here but you thinks he's as bad as you say.
NJRedman

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:00 am

St. John's is definitely disappointing, but like it or not, Mullin gets at least 1 more year. So just hope that the team/coach are making progress and look for some success next year.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby Irishdawg » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 am

Per the school's 990, for the 2015-16 season, Mullin was paid $1.5M. He could have been paid more in subsequent seasons since they also were paying Steve Lavin $3M that year to not coach, but that's his latest pay info from the school.
Irishdawg

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:01 am

DudeAnon wrote:St. John's is definitely disappointing, but like it or not, Mullin gets at least 1 more year. So just hope that the team/coach are making progress and look for some success next year.

I was thinking about this and agree he'll get one more year from the administration, but I wouldn't be shocked if he stepped away for the good of the program either.
ArmyVet

Postby NJRedman » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:47 am

ArmyVet wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:St. John's is definitely disappointing, but like it or not, Mullin gets at least 1 more year. So just hope that the team/coach are making progress and look for some success next year.

I was thinking about this and agree he'll get one more year from the administration, but I wouldn't be shocked if he stepped away for the good of the program either.

Why would he step away? He will finally have a full roster next year. It's not like this team is lost out there and had given up, they are just short handed. Overeations like he can't coach is just silly. Is he inexperienced and learning on the job? Of course, but we all knew this including the admin when he took the job. The hyperbole is he doesn't do any actual coaching but thats clearly not the case if you watch the games. There are adjustments and they do run plays that are drawn up. They are in 80% of these conference games to the very end. Last night it was a 1 possession game with like 20 seconds to go.
NJRedman

Postby ArmyVet » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:58 am

NJRedman wrote:
ArmyVet wrote:

Why would he step away? He will finally have a full roster next year. It's not like this team is lost out there and had given up, they are just short handed. Overeations like he can't coach is just silly. Is he inexperienced and learning on the job? Of course, but we all knew this including the admin when he took the job. The hyperbole is he doesn't do any actual coaching but thats clearly not the case if you watch the games. There are adjustments and they do run plays that are drawn up. They are in 80% of these conference games to the very end. Last night it was a 1 possession game with like 20 seconds to go.

What I am suggesting is that if Mullin goes 0-18 or something nearly as terrible that there will be such a push for a change that he might resign "for the good of the program".
ArmyVet

Postby BigmanU » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 pm

Another rebuilding year. As always wait until next year with frontcourt help of Keita, Brooks & Roberts. Dixon can help carry the load in the backcourt.

Anytime you have Ponds on your roster, you have a chance to win. I will be shocked if the they are not at least the fifth best team in the league next year. If they would of at least had a competent bigman, they would have won half of these close BEast games. With the exception of Marquette, this is the worst rebounding team in the league.
BigmanU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board