(2) Big East Games on Tuesday 1/23/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (2) Big East Games on Tuesday 1/23/18

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:09 pm

Thought this would be a good time to share my favorite things about Villanova players:

:D

- Booth... i just like the guy and think he's a good player.

- Brunson... i like when Brunson drives to the hoop, stops 8 feet from the basket, spins in a circle 5 times, drags his pivot foot on each revolution, doesn't get called for a travel, then dishes for an assist.

- DiVincenzo... i like when he starts driving, shoves his defender with his forearm to give himself 7 feet of open space, then drills an 18 footer.

- Spellman... i like when he gets fed the ball in the lane around 8 feet from the basket, and then faces up his defender, makes a series of head fakes while shuffling his feet closer to the basket, the makes a 2 foot layup.

- Bridges... i like when he makes a 3 pointer, and like, his defender doesn't make contact, but the ref calls a foul for a 4 point play.

- Paschal... i like when he throws moving picks to get Brunson open, and the ref doesn't whistle him for an offensive foul.

- f-ck it, Gillespie... i like when DiVincenzo has the ball just over midcourt, dribbling statue-like, and the 2 ooponents try to charge at him for an unexpected double-team, and then Gillespie throws a rolling block like a pulling guard as one of the defenders starts his move, which f-cked up the double teaming and cause the Friars to be completely out of position, and like the ref doesn't whistle him for an illegal pick.

- Paschal again... i like when Paschal pump faked Watson under the hoop, and Watson fouled him while Paschal was flat footed, and then after the whistle Paschal then jumped up and layed the ball in, and them the ref counted the hoop for an and-1, and then Ed Cooley complained and the ref just looked at him and ignored him.

- DiVincenzo again... i liked when PC blocked a shot with 3 seconds on the shot clock, and then the ball bounced over to DiVincenzo in the corner, and then he released his shot after the shot clock expired, but the refs didn't call it, and then the shot hit the rim, bounced off, and was gathered by Villanova for a layup, and then i liked when Ed Cooley complained that the buzzer sounded, but the refs looked at Big Ed and ignored him, yeah i liked that a lot.

- Brunson again... i liked when Bullock had the ball 10 feet from the basket, and as he drove to the hoop he was tackled from behind by Brunson, and then Bullock fumbled the ball cuz he thoughtvhe was playing football, and fhen Brunson recovers the fumble and finds himself literally lying upside down with the ball on top of a spread eagle Bullock, and then the refs give Villanova the ball, yeah that was probably my favorite thing i liked.

- i like when an opponent goes up for a simple layup, and 3 Villanova guys defend the layup by making continuous contact, and trying to block the shot using 2 outstretched arms and repeatedly fouling their opponent, with no foul called, and Villanova gets the loose ball, heads down court and puts in a layup without getting touched, but Jay Wright complains that it should've been an and-1, and so the refs immediately make some bogus call against Jay Wright's opponent on the next possession, and then Jay Wright does that wink-thing.

What do you guys like about the Friars?
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Irishdawg » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 pm

billyjack wrote:Thought this would be a good time to share my favorite things about Villanova players:

:D

- Booth... i just like the guy and think he's a good player.

- Brunson... i like when Brunson drives to the hoop, stops 8 feet from the basket, spins in a circle 5 times, drags his pivot foot on each revolution, doesn't get called for a travel, then dishes for an assist.

- DiVincenzo... i like when he starts driving, shoves his defender with his forearm to give himself 7 feet of open space, then drills an 18 footer.

- Spellman... i like when he gets fed the ball in the lane around 8 feet from the basket, and then faces up his defender, makes a series of head fakes while shuffling his feet closer to the basket, the makes a 2 foot layup.

- Bridges... i like when he makes a 3 pointer, and like, his defender doesn't make contact, but the ref calls a foul for a 4 point play.

- Paschal... i like when he throws moving picks to get Brunson open, and the ref doesn't whistle him for an offensive foul.

- f-ck it, Gillespie... i like when DiVincenzo has the ball just over midcourt, dribbling statue-like, and the 2 ooponents try to charge at him for an unexpected double-team, and then Gillespie throws a rolling block like a pulling guard as one of the defenders starts his move, which f-cked up the double teaming and cause the Friars to be completely out of position, and like the ref doesn't whistle him for an illegal pick.

- Paschal again... i like when Paschal pump faked Watson under the hoop, and Watson fouled him while Paschal was flat footed, and then after the whistle Paschal then jumped up and layed the ball in, and them the ref counted the hoop for an and-1, and then Ed Cooley complained and the ref just looked at him and ignored him.

- DiVincenzo again... i liked when PC blocked a shot with 3 seconds on the shot clock, and then the ball bounced over to DiVincenzo in the corner, and then he released his shot after the shot clock expired, but the refs didn't call it, and then the shot hit the rim, bounced off, and was gathered by Villanova for a layup, and then i liked when Ed Cooley complained that the buzzer sounded, but the refs looked at Big Ed and ignored him, yeah i liked that a lot.

- Brunson again... i liked when Bullock had the ball 10 feet from the basket, and as he drove to the hoop he was tackled from behind by Brunson, and then Bullock fumbled the ball cuz he thoughtvhe was playing football, and fhen Brunson recovers the fumble and finds himself literally lying upside down with the ball on top of a spread eagle Bullock, and then the refs give Villanova the ball, yeah that was probably my favorite thing i liked.

- i like when an opponent goes up for a simple layup, and 3 Villanova guys defend the layup by making continuous contact, and trying to block the shot using 2 outstretched arms and repeatedly fouling their opponent, with no foul called, and Villanova gets the loose ball, heads down court and puts in a layup without getting touched, but Jay Wright complains that it should've been an and-1, and so the refs immediately make some bogus call against Jay Wright's opponent on the next possession, and then Jay Wright does that wink-thing.

Irishdawg

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:32 pm

i'm like a Sour Patch Kid. First sour, the sweet.
Providence
billyjack

Postby novahoops11 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 pm

novahoops11

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:05 pm

billyjack wrote:Thought this would be a good time to share my favorite things about Villanova players:

I like when Nova plays its C game and the Friars still let them win by 20. :D

Hoping you are not insinuating that PC lost because of the whistle.
PF’s: Nova - 16; PC - 17.
FTA’s: PC - 20, Nova - 15
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Jet915 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:45 pm

It was ugly but nice win for Creighton post Krampelj.
Jet915

Postby billyjack » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Lol, no, just having fun.

Villanova is amazing. So many ways to beat you. Relentless for 40 minutes. If an opponent struggles for 2 minutes it results in an 18 point swing. Really fun team to watch.

Having said that, i thought my post was kinda funny.
Providence
billyjack

Postby MackNova » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:49 pm

My favorite thing about Providence is playing them at the Dunkin Donuts Center. It's always a fun road game to go to. Loud fans, great atmosphere, good venue, and a perennial top-50 road win that helps Nova get 1 seeds.
MackNova

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 pm

billyjack wrote:
GumbyDamnit! wrote:

Lol, no, just having fun.

Villanova is amazing. So many ways to beat you. Relentless for 40 minutes. If an opponent struggles for 2 minutes it results in an 18 point swing. Really fun team to watch.

Having said that, i thought my post was kinda funny.

I think you were on point by suggesting that the refs did their best to thwart any kind of game rhythm. Questionable ticky tack fouls followed by muggings that produced no whistles. It was tough for the players to understand what was a foul and what wasn’t. As fans we tend to see the ones that they missed for our teams and ignore the ones our teams are guilty of. It makes for a frustrating watch. Hoping the rematch is a cleaner game so we can all enjoy the talent on both teams.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby MackNova » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:00 pm

Refereeing made it difficult to get in a flow early for either side.

The shot clock violation call with Paschall looked pretty egregious live, though I didn't watch any replays.
MackNova

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board