(5) BE Saturday Games 1/20/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (5) BE Saturday Games 1/20/18

Postby Hall2012 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm

ecasadoSBU wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:This Seton Hall team is hot garbage right now. 3rd downright embarrassing performance in the past 4 games. Talk about a major, major disappointment.

Ok. bring it down a bit. I get you are pissed. But to call this team Hot Garbage because they lost to #11 X squad is not right. They played hard. Just couldn't pull it off

No, it's because they got run out of the gym at both Marquette and Creighton with the excuse "it's tough for everyone to win on the road in the Big East." Then they came home and played just as poorly, especially in the second half (fortunately X didn't bring b their A game either or it would have been ugly again).

The bottom line is they really haven't played well since November (at Butler being the exception) but are now playing teams they won't get away with it against.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby XUFan09 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:03 pm

My impression of most of the game was that neither offense was performing well, but both defenses were performing at a fairly high level. Obviously, there's some interaction effect there. Seton Hall was winning because of their work on the glass. Then, for the last 12 minutes or so, X's offense broke free (particularly helped by Macura and a few lucky breaks), allowing them to complete the comeback and take the lead. At that point, they were able to close out the game.

It's not a shame to lose this game. X is probably the better team, and because it was at the Rock, it was going to be a battle. Seton Hall just lost a close battle against a really good team. Now, the Marquette and Creighton blowouts I get being upset about, but not this game. Seton Hall played fairly well.
Gangsters in the locker room
XUFan09

Postby billyjack » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:03 am

Great high pressure game at the Dunk today. The Friar win over the Bluejays was by a misleading 14 points, because it was 3 at the half, and in the 2nd ranged from only around 4 to 9 points.

Creighton had some key open looks from 3 that surprisingly didn't fall. But yeah, the loss of Krampelj was huge today, as PC was able to rebound well.

Cartwright had 20, and Alpha Diallo had a 21-10 double-double.

Sellout crowd of 12,500+, packed to the rafters. Low buzz all game. Man, Creighton fans were polite as always. Never met an obnoxious Jays fan. Interesting contrast with random oddball wandering and scowling Jacksonville fans, who are in town for tomorrow's AFC Finals.

i forgot to tape the game, so i can't watch it again. Diallo hit a huge and-1 layup while protecting a 4 point lead. 1st half flagrant-1 on Watson when Hegner hit the deck... PC and the crowd lost its mojo at that point as a 10 point lead vanished quickly. The crowd woke up with the return of Maliek White, especially after his big 3 pointer late 1st.

The game moved along with not a lot of fouls til late. Harrell Jr is underrated, had a big late offensive board that led to a 3 and a 4 point deficit. Hit a big floater to again cut lead to 4 or 5 late. Steady presence.

Big win for Providence.
Providence
billyjack

Postby XtoDC » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:09 am

Seton Hall is obviously a very good team. What I think Xavier has been able to do throughout this year is use their depth to win games late. Xavier may seem like they aren't playing a very great game, but with the rotation of bodies they are able to maintain their effort and energy level until the final couple minutes and make one or two plays to pull away and ice it with free throws. Carrington not being able to hit threes and extend the Seton Hall lead is what I think was their downfall. If he just goes 2-7 or whatever with everything else equal Seton Hall probably takes it. Granted a lot of those threes probably shouldn't have even been attempted because they just weren't good offense, but the way Seton Hall rebounds on the offensive glass it seems like as long as it isn't a turnover they don't have many empty offensive possessions.
XtoDC

Postby billyjack » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:00 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:Bill just noted. 30 years ago - Send it in Jerome!

Bob Sheppard slowly walks up on stage... taps microphone three times with his index finger... adjusts his tie... takes out folded paper from inside jacket pocket...

"Ladies and gentlemen... your attention please... i present to you... the greatest and only highlight... in the history of Pitt basketball... [hesistates an extra second, squinting down at paper, expecting something more impressive]... a two-point basket... at the 15 minute mark... of the first half... of a midseason game... in January". Takes sip of water and places glass back down on wooden stool.

"That is all"... turns and walks off stage... lights go out.
Providence
billyjack

Postby BlueDog » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:32 am

billyjack wrote:
ecasadoSBU wrote:Bill just noted. 30 years ago - Send it in Jerome!

Bob Sheppard slowly walks up on stage... taps microphone three times with his index finger... adjusts his tie... takes out folded paper from inside jacket pocket...

"Ladies and gentlemen... your attention please... i present to you... the greatest and only highlight... in the history of Pitt basketball... [hesistates an extra second, squinting down at paper, expecting something more impressive]... a two-point basket... at the 15 minute mark... of the first half... of a midseason game... in January". Takes sip of water and places glass back down on wooden stool.

"That is all"... turns and walks off stage... lights go out.

Love it Billy! As all X fans know, Sean Miller had the assist on that play.
Go X!
BlueDog

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:36 am

Yo gotta give it to Ed Cooley man! He always finds a way. Don't ever let that man go.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:27 pm

Sellout crowd of 12,500+, packed to the rafters. Low buzz all game. Man, Creighton fans were polite as always. Never met an obnoxious Jays fan. Interesting contrast with random oddball wandering and scowling Jacksonville fans, who are in town for tomorrow's AFC Finals.

Glad to hear that. I think most of us are still just excited to be in the league.

Didn't know there were Jags fans. Interesting.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby gosports1 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:49 pm

Omaha1 wrote:

Glad to hear that. I think most of us are still just excited to be in the league.

I was in Providence this weekend and I didn't notice any Jays or Jags fans. Did see Pats and Friars fans of course Then again I was with my college roommates and went out before nd after the game and was ready to call it quits by 730. that could have played a part :lol:
gosports1

Postby billyjack » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:57 pm

gosports1 wrote:
Omaha1 wrote:

I was in Providence this weekend and I didn't notice any Jays or Jags fans. Did see Pats and Friars fans of course Then again I was with my college roommates and went out before nd after the game and was ready to call it quits by 730. that could have played a part :lol:

Lol...

Walking towards the Dunk pregame, past Union Station (old orange brick former train depot), my son and i found ourselves caught in a Creighton herd of 4 or so middle-aged couples, maybe 8 to 10 people including a couple of their older kids, coming out of a restaurant or their hotels. We walked alongside/ amongst them for 3 or 4 minutes. They had those normal non-Rhode Island accents, "oh, just excuse us, just make your way on past us"... well dressed, all in good shape and my height or taller, gabbing on about lunch and whatever. Very easy-going and pleasant. I half thought one of the wives was going to offer us some chocolate chip cookies.

Got in the Dunk, and at various times bumped into Bluejays fans. Sometimes i'll pat them on the arm and say good luck, or just nod. All pleasant, usually exchange nice words. No anger, no douchebaggery.

Funny, a family from Omaha moved up the street from us a few years ago. They have a girl in my son's class. Nicest kid possible, so polite to me and my wife. Her grandparents are still in Omaha and have seasons tickets to Creighton games.

With Jacksonville...

Game ended. Made our way out front entrance, back down towards Omni Hotel. Patriots' opponents usually stay in Providence the night before a game, usually at the Omni. We saw a few people in giant Jacksonville jackets with enormous Jaguars heads on the backs, walking down sidewalk. These were slovenly, wide-bodied dudes, Jags fans... they started hollering at guys across street on the ProJo building sidewalk... so there are a bunch of people everywhere, kids of all ages, and one of these Jacksonville guys is full-on screaming at some other guy "Oh, yeah, go f-ck yourself, come over here a suck my c-ck you f-ck-n f--!"

I mean, jeez, what a bunch of dumb-asses.

Small sample size i guess, and maybe just my limited experience, but wow, contrast was like night and day.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board