(3) Big East Wednesday 1/17/18

The home for Big East hoops

Re: (3) Big East Wednesday 1/17/18

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:42 am

MullinMayhem wrote:
BEXU wrote:
Irishdawg wrote:St. John's - easily the best team with an 0-7 league record in the country. They've been close on the road a LOT, they're going to break through one of these times.

Hit 11 in a row after halftime, then missed 10 in a row. Not looking forward to playing them on the road.

If I were any other Big East team right now, I'd be salivating seeing the opponent listed as St. John's. Automatic win. Close, blowout, etc. doesn't matter...still a W for the opponent. This team has no clue how to win and spare me the BS with LoVett...he wasn't Steph Curry. He was good but not a program changer. This is all on Mullin and staff for having no idea what they are doing. No players get better and they have no freaking clue how to close out games.

I honestly have no idea why I even give the slightest f about this dumpster fire program. Wish I could have my time back watching this POS team.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing like getting up in the morning to read your posts after an L. StJ fans, don't worry, he doesn't reflect on all of you.
Wizard of Westroads

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby MullinMayhem » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 am

Of course I'm going to be more frustrated fresh after the game, but I'd like to see Creighton/X/Nova/Butler/PC/etc. fans after an 0-7 start and the 3rd 0-5 or worse start in the last 5 years. Mullin could not make a better case for himself to get fired assuming this crap continues next season, which I fully expect it to. It's not being negative, it's going off the results I've seen. Of course LoVett being a wuss hurt significantly this season, but I see people making it seem as if we lost some NBA lottery pick. Forget LoVett and the whole situation, there is absolutely zero excuse for an 0-7 start in year 3 of the Mullin era when we had legit NCAA aspirations. Don't give me the "lack of experience" excuse, this team has 3 upperclassmen starting. Don't give me the talent excuse, you can see that individually guys like Simon, Ponds, Owens, Clark, etc. have talent. The problem is we do not have a real coaching staff to maximize their abilities or mesh their talents. Meanwhile, Danny Hurley has URI 6-0 in the A-10. Ollie will be fired at UConn soon and they will get him. Then obviously he brings them back to prominence and we hire Metta World Peace to be our next coach and the cycle will continue. Yes that last part about Metta was a joke obviously but so is this program, so who knows?
MullinMayhem

Postby cu blujs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:08 am

and we hire Metta World Peace to be our next coach and the cycle will continue

At least you still have your sense of humor. Thanks for the chuckle this morning.

I feel your pain - although not the same duration of incompetence as Lavin followed by Mullin (love Lavin on FS1, however). I was one of about 1,000 season ticket holders during our infamous Rick Johnson era. When Tony Barone left for A&M after his second trip to the NCAAs in 1991, and Creighton hired his assistant, who had been a high school coach a few years before with his best ever high school team having finished like 12-12 in one of Nebraska's smaller classes, and with no recruiting prowess whatsoever. We went 24-59 over three years - 7-11, 6-12 and 3-15 in the MVC, losing to power house programs like UMKC, Montana, Eastern Illinois, etc. I was very skeptical of the Mullin hire when they did it. Clearly being a great player doesn't translate into coaching skill - particularly when you haven't lived and breathed basketball and coaching previously. I thought he might grow into it, but that just isn't happening. Pulling for you guys to get a win Saturday, cause I sure as hell don't want your first win coming Tuesday. After that, I'm pulling for you guys every night until the BET. Or not, if you'd rather go down in flames to force a change come season end.
cu blujs

Postby BoarCommaThe » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 am

MullinMayhem wrote:Of course I'm going to be more frustrated fresh after the game, but I'd like to see Creighton/X/Nova/Butler/PC/etc. fans after an 0-7 start and the 3rd 0-5 or worse start in the last 5 years. Mullin could not make a better case for himself to get fired assuming this crap continues next season, which I fully expect it to. It's not being negative, it's going off the results I've seen. Of course LoVett being a wuss hurt significantly this season, but I see people making it seem as if we lost some NBA lottery pick. Forget LoVett and the whole situation, there is absolutely zero excuse for an 0-7 start in year 3 of the Mullin era when we had legit NCAA aspirations. Don't give me the "lack of experience" excuse, this team has 3 upperclassmen starting. Don't give me the talent excuse, you can see that individually guys like Simon, Ponds, Owens, Clark, etc. have talent. The problem is we do not have a real coaching staff to maximize their abilities or mesh their talents. Meanwhile, Danny Hurley has URI 6-0 in the A-10. Ollie will be fired at UConn soon and they will get him. Then obviously he brings them back to prominence and we hire Metta World Peace to be our next coach and the cycle will continue. Yes that last part about Metta was a joke obviously but so is this program, so who knows?

Creighton experienced 0-8 in 2014-2015 but maybe under different circumstances than what St John's is going through. Our roster turned over after losing those four seniors and transitioned into the Big East that year. So it can happen to other schools. That year I remember we experienced a lot of close losses as well. Our expectations were a lot lower than your's at the time but it can get better as you can see with CU.
BoarCommaThe

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:14 am

Hall2012 wrote:And now it looks like Desi may have responded to Willard on Twitter. Hopefully this doesn't blow up into anything, but forgive me for being worried.

Didn't the Hall go through something similar to this, like maybe three years ago, mid to late season? Thinking it involved Whitehead, a senior starting guard who left the team (sorry I can't remember his name) and maybe some others, with locker room drama. If I remember correctly some SH fans weren't sure Willard would be back the following year?
DanofXav76

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:24 am

Irishdawg wrote:St. John's - easily the best team with an 0-7 league record in the country. They've been close on the road a LOT, they're going to break through one of these times.

I was at the game Idawg and totally agree. The Johnnies showed a lot of talent and heart last night. Their effort was top notch, giving the Muskies all they could handle.
No way this team finishes the season 10th.
DanofXav76

Postby ArmyVet » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:56 am

DanofXav76 wrote:
Hall2012 wrote:And now it looks like Desi may have responded to Willard on Twitter. Hopefully this doesn't blow up into anything, but forgive me for being worried.

Didn't the Hall go through something similar to this, like maybe three years ago, mid to late season? Thinking it involved Whitehead, a senior starting guard who left the team (sorry I can't remember his name) and maybe some others, with locker room drama. If I remember correctly some SH fans weren't sure Willard would be back the following year?

I am admittedly "old school" but I support a coach benching a player to send a message. Hopefully it works.
ArmyVet

Postby Hall2012 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:44 am

DanofXav76 wrote:

Yes, it also involved Sterling Gibbs and Jaren Sina. Whitehead shouldered most of the blame - significantly more than he deserved I believe. When these guys were freshman, locker room unrest derailed what to that point was a very promising season. Now, as seniors, it seems possible we're seeing more issues. Hopefully it's really nothing and the benching combined with the blowout loss is just causing fans/media to overreact, but if there is something, hopefully this more experienced group can handle it better and get back on track. Saturday vs Xavier could be a telling game that sets the tone for the rest of SHU's season.

Creighton gets blown out at Xavier. Seton Hall gets blown out at Creighton. Next up is Xavier at Seton Hall. Hopefully the Pirates respond and close the circle (sorry X fans).
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:10 pm

Hall2012 wrote:
DanofXav76 wrote:

Yes, it also involved Sterling Gibbs and Jaren Sina. Whitehead shouldered most of the blame - significantly more than he deserved I believe. When these guys were freshman, locker room unrest derailed what to that point was a very promising season. Now, as seniors, it seems possible we're seeing more issues. Hopefully it's really nothing and the benching combined with the blowout loss is just causing fans/media to overreact, but if there is something, hopefully this more experienced group can handle it better and get back on track. Saturday vs Xavier could be a telling game that sets the tone for the rest of SHU's season.

Creighton gets blown out at Xavier. Seton Hall gets blown out at Creighton. Next up is Xavier at Seton Hall. Hopefully the Pirates respond and close the circle (sorry X fans).

I thought Sina was a nice player and Gibbs very good. I know Willard is not a board favorite here like Cooley, but I like and root for the guy. Yes with the exception of Nova it seems like all of the BE teams take their turns getting whacked in the scenario you mention above.
Huge opportunity for X Saturday to really move up since AP's #4,6,7 & 8 have all been beaten this week. Tall order since I believe the Muskies are 0-4 at the Rock.
DanofXav76

Postby cu blujs » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:14 pm

I for one am pulling for Desi and company to bounce back in a big way Saturday.
cu blujs

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board