Opinion: Big East is better off if someone dethrones Nova

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Opinion: Big East is better off if someone dethrones Nov

Postby DeePhence » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:23 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Starting this season the top half of the conference needs to make the 2nd weekend or better in the dance. Our strong teams need to show it come March. Strong NCAA performances will change perceptions.

I won't refuse the BET trophy should it land at the Jays feet. We need some new hardware in the trophy cases. ;)

I wouldn't say that the top HALF of the conference needs to. Xavier was 6th last year and got to the elite 8.

Now, if Seton Hall, Villanova and Xavier get seeded 1st, 2nd or 3rd, you sure don't want them to flame out on the first weekend, but any of the teams that get into the dance, assuming the match-ups work out, could also get into the 2nd weekend. Four teams in the sweet sixteen, 2 in the elite 8, that will help!

I say this as a fan of a PC team that has only one win in four trips in the last four years, so we need to do our part if/when we get in this year.

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Letsgonova » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm

Next year is the first year since the formation of the NBE where I feel like 'Nova will be vulnerable. Brunson and Bridges will be gone, some chance Spellman follows. With Booth, Divicenzo, Spellman and Paschall back, with two top 50-ish recruits coming in, we'll be a top 25 team, but not top 5 like we've been. Need another guard. Courtney Ramey, come on down.
Letsgonova

Postby Wizard of Westroads » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:47 am

I don't think Nova will lose another conference game this year. Butler shooting was a fluke, and it won't happen again. I'm just praying that their juniors leave at the end of the season.

Jay Wright be like

Wizard of Westroads

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:46 am

It probably won't be X, but I think somebody will give Nova a second "L" this season if for no other reason than the Wildcats will get kind of bored with their BE Domination.
DanofXav76

Postby DeePhence » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:28 am

It's obvious that Villanova is one of the most dominant teams in college basketball this year. Like scary good.

However, there are quite a few teams in the league that could have nights where everything they throw up goes in, no matter how good nova's defense is.

Butler showed that - they just flat out outscored Villanova. In addition to them, I could see Creighton, Xavier, even Providence (we have had games this year where we've shot over 60% from the field and 50% from three) having one of those nights when they're in the proverbial zone and just can't miss.

Not predicting it, but not discounting it.

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby MUPanther » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am

So, this morning on Sirius XM channel 84, ESPNU radio, we have Taylor Zarzour & Greg McElory questioning how good Villanova is over the years since they fail to make it to the 2nd weekend other than the one national title. :roll: They kiss and hug how good the Big 12 is. Kansas State could play in the Big East, blah, blah, blah. I'm telling you, helmet head still gives the Big East no respect!
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 pm

MUPanther wrote:So, this morning on Sirius XM channel 84, ESPNU radio, we have Taylor Zarzour & Greg McElory questioning how good Villanova is over the years since they fail to make it to the 2nd weekend other than the one national title. :roll: They kiss and hug how good the Big 12 is. Kansas State could play in the Big East, blah, blah, blah. I'm telling you, helmet head still gives the Big East no respect!

Yeah, what are you going to do? There are always going to be naysayers. In the past when the BE was a juggernaut there were still the Billy Packers and Dick Vitale's that kissed up to the ACC and Big10. Doug Gottleib HATED the BE for years. In our NC run we beat the two best teams in the B12 back-to-back, beat 2 of the top 4/5 in the ACC, and one of the better teams in the B10. It wasn't like we beat a bunch double digit seeds who picked off a top seed or two. Who cares? Tools.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Wizard of Westroads wrote:I don't think Nova will lose another conference game this year. Butler shooting was a fluke, and it won't happen again. I'm just praying that their juniors leave at the end of the season.

I don't think there is much chance Nova goes unscathed the rest of the way in conference. There are just too many good teams in this conference for that to happen. If I were a betting man I would suspect that we lose another 2, maybe 3. I'd set the line at 2.5 more conference losses. @ any of the other top 5-6 team will be a real challenge. Still have to go to X, SHU, CU, Marq and PC. Tough sledding. And playing at the WFC which isn't the same homecourt advantage as the Pavillion. Someone could get us there.

There is a formula that can beat this team. Do 3 or 4 of the following and you'll beat us:
1). Offensive rebounds and 2nd chance points--I think this is the one Achillies heal of this team. Hits the boards on offense.
2). Limit turnovers - although best known as a deadly 3pt shooting team, I think this team is even better in the open floor. Nova seems to get 15-20 points a game on easy baskets from turnovers.
3). Hope for a tight whistle. They aren't incredibly deep. Get their main guys in foul trouble and you're in good shape. See Tenn game as a great example of this.
4). Try your best to keep the ball out of Brunson's hands; the guy is such a joy to watch because he does everything right. It must be maddening to play against him.
5). Hope Nova is off from 3. This is tough because we have 7 of our 8 rotational players who can really stroke it. So the chances of everyone going cold are not great odds. But if they do, your chances of a W are much, much greater.
6). Hope you are hot from 3. See Butler game.

But when they are playing like they did last night or vs. X or Gonzage, I don't see anyone in the country being better.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm liking #2-3... low turnovers n tight whistles. Nova is beatable the at the W(T)F Center, but getting tight whistles against them is a wish. Still luv the sight lines and confident the Jays will come to win. Keep the TOs low, turn up the defense, make the hustle plays. #6 is a given. Should be a great game.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Novachap » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:54 pm

GTMO... tough break with K... does suck.

Think you have a better chance at home..
Novachap

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board