Opinion: Big East is better off if someone dethrones Nova

The home for Big East hoops

Postby xman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:55 pm

The Big East has proven itself to be a formidable conference, but that is largely earned on the shoulders of Villanova's terrific seasons since the league was reformed. There are still some naysayers who think Villanova is the only nationally relevant team in the conference.

I honestly believe that if XU or Hall could knock Nova down to the two seed in the league, the league would be better off for it.

Discuss.
xman

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Opinion: Big East is better off if someone dethrones Nov

Postby DeePhence » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:01 pm

Agree.

Nothing against Villanova. They have deserved their perch at the top so far. On the other hand, they have only won the Tournament twice, despite winning the regular season every year.

The league is so strong top to bottom this year that I wouldn't be surprised if the team that finishes on top has four loses or even five this year.

Let's go Friars! Cooley for Prez!
DeePhence

Postby herodotus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:11 pm

DeePhence wrote:Agree.

Nothing against Villanova. They have deserved their perch at the top so far. On the other hand, they have only won the Tournament twice, despite winning the regular season every year.

The league is so strong top to bottom this year that I wouldn't be surprised if the team that finishes on top has four loses or even five this year.

Ain't gonna happen. Nova is the best team, and it's not that close. It's good to have a flagship. If UConn were performing like Nova, The AAC would be regarded as a major, instead of a mid-major. Conversely, if Nova was performing like UConn, folks would be giving the BE the side eye.
herodotus

Postby pki1998 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:23 pm

I have a better idea to improve the rep of the conference. Let's have Nova X and Hall in the final four, and a all big east championship game!
Xavier
pki1998

Postby BigmanU » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:14 pm

xman wrote:The Big East has proven itself to be a formidable conference, but that is largely earned on the shoulders of Villanova's terrific seasons since the league was reformed. There are still some naysayers who think Villanova is the only nationally relevant team in the conference.

I honestly believe that if XU or Hall could knock Nova down to the two seed in the league, the league would be better off for it.

Discuss.

Totally disagree, doesn't need to be either/or

The other teams need to sack up and go deep (Final 4 deep) to get their own respect. Nova has solidified respect because of the Natty which they've earned. There is room for others, the other nine need to follow suit. You are not in the A10 anymore, multiple teams can be standard bearers. See Georgetown, Syracuse & UConn in the old Big East. The national media expected those teams to be great year in & year out.
BigmanU

Postby Novachap » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 pm

pki1998 wrote:I have a better idea to improve the rep of the conference. Let's have Nova X and Hall in the final four, and a all big east championship game!

Bingo! Worked in 1985 and set the gold standard.
Novachap

Postby ecasadoSBU » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:43 pm

You gotta earn it to make it.

Anyone that thinks that Nova being too good is bad for the league is looking at the Big East from different biased lens.

You gotta earn it to make it to the top. We need Villanova to continue to play at that level. What we need is for a couple of other teams to catch up. I would love for one of those other teams to be either Seton Hall/Georgetown. The northeast base of the league needs a reason to always keep watching. That's where the main market is. X is a doing a good job and had an Elite-8 trip. If they can build on that this year it would be great for the league
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Power conferences are defined by a blue blood program(s). The B1G has Michigan State (Indiana is no longer a blue blood). The SEC has Kentucky. The ACC has UNC and Duke. The PAC has UCLA and Arizona. The Big East has Villanova (Georgetown is no longer a blue blood).

The Big East needs to have Villanova keep winning and getting #1 or #2 seeds in March. However, if other teams can win the BET, or even regular season, and - too - get a very high seed in the tournament, it will only help the perception of the league. This year, I really think that Hall and X have the potential to go very deep. Creighton can compete with anyone. Watching Marquette against Seton Hall, their shooting can beat any team on any night.

Can't wait to watch it unfold this year.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby Hall2012 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:01 pm

I agree, I'll just add that it needs to be from that someone having a ridiculous season and needing every win. If Nova fails to win the league, the media will do their best to spin it as Nova falling off as opposed to the rest of the league improving.
Seton Hall Pirates
Big East Tournament Champions: 1991, 1993, 2016
Big East Regular Season Champions: 1992, 1993, 2020
Hall2012

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:04 pm

The Big East would really benefit from Georgetown being a great program again. Would make Nova-Gtown a great rivalry again. The Hoyas will be back in a couple seasons they really have only been down for 3-4 years or so.
DeadHeadHoya

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board