Opinion: Big East is better off if someone dethrones Nova

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Opinion: Big East is better off if someone dethrones Nov

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Nah, better shot @WFC...Nova has more fans in Omaha than Jays do. Most are supposed Creighton loyalists.

K is a good kid-he'll bounce back nxt season. Counting on Jerseys own - Manny Suárez to step up and be the man.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Folks, it starts with recruiting. In regards to ESPN's Top 100 for the Class of 2018, Villanova has 2 (most likely will be 3 when it is all said and done), G'Town has 1, Creighton has 1, SJU has 1, Marquette has 1, and PC has 2, that is 8 overall so far and none of our commitments are really Top 50 guys. The ACC has 8 commitments in the Top 25 alone, will probably be more when it is all said and done. I know ESPN is only 1 recruiting service (Scout/247, Rivals, etc.), and sometimes you have to take rankings with a grain of salt, but our recruiting as a conference overall needs to be a lot better. Jay Wright has made a living off guys in the 50 - 100 range so we don't necessarily need Burger Boys either. We should be aiming for 15-20 guys in the Top 100 coming to the Big East every year though to remain strong as a whole and also to prove that we are a desirable destination for top ranked recruits. Gotta pick it up on the recruiting trail.

To conclude, it would be nice for a traditional Big East team like Georgetown or St. John's to step up and become a Top 25 team consistently. We should be aiming for 4 or 5 teams ranked in the Top 25 at all times, and we should be aiming for 5 to 7 teams in the dance every year.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/bask ... errankings
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:40 pm

Since I don't post here a heck of a lot anymore, although I probably still check this board once a week, I just wanted to say that gtmoBlue is still the best poster on any college basketball message board anywhere.

YOU'RE MY BOY BLUE! YOU'RE MY BOY!
ChestRockwell85

Postby scoscox » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:13 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:We should be aiming for 4 or 5 teams ranked in the Top 25 at all times, and we should be aiming for 5 to 7 teams in the dance every year.

Is this not what we have been doing?

I agree it starts with recruiting. Have to gobble up as many of the 4 stars as possible. We (X) didn't do that this year, but hopefully we'll bounce back.
scoscox

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:47 pm

scoscox wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:We should be aiming for 4 or 5 teams ranked in the Top 25 at all times, and we should be aiming for 5 to 7 teams in the dance every year.

I agree it starts with recruiting. Have to gobble up as many of the 4 stars as possible. We (X) didn't do that this year, but hopefully we'll bounce back.

I didn't say we haven't been doing that, I just said that is what we need to be aiming for every year. We have been doing a decent job of getting teams in the dance, last year with 7 was really good, I wouldn't be surprised if we get 7 in again this year. Says a lot, but as a whole, we could be representing a lot better come March as well. I believe out of the 7, only 1 team made it to the second weekend last year. Also, 3 Top 20 teams right now is good, but we should have at least 1 more team ranked.

Look, we are doing a good job, but we have to continue to aim higher as a whole, and again, it starts with recruiting, once that happens, the rest starts to take care of itself.
ChestRockwell85

Postby gtmoBlue » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 pm

Good discussion on our collective recruiting and ranking goals. Agree wholeheartedly Chesty.

Uh... and thanks for the unexpected shoutout.?.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby marquette » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:02 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Folks, it starts with recruiting. In regards to ESPN's Top 100 for the Class of 2018, Villanova has 2 (most likely will be 3 when it is all said and done), G'Town has 1, Creighton has 1, SJU has 1, Marquette has 1, and PC has 2, that is 8 overall so far and none of our commitments are really Top 50 guys. The ACC has 8 commitments in the Top 25 alone, will probably be more when it is all said and done. I know ESPN is only 1 recruiting service (Scout/247, Rivals, etc.), and sometimes you have to take rankings with a grain of salt, but our recruiting as a conference overall needs to be a lot better. Jay Wright has made a living off guys in the 50 - 100 range so we don't necessarily need Burger Boys either. We should be aiming for 15-20 guys in the Top 100 coming to the Big East every year though to remain strong as a whole and also to prove that we are a desirable destination for top ranked recruits. Gotta pick it up on the recruiting trail.

To conclude, it would be nice for a traditional Big East team like Georgetown or St. John's to step up and become a Top 25 team consistently. We should be aiming for 4 or 5 teams ranked in the Top 25 at all times, and we should be aiming for 5 to 7 teams in the dance every year.

Prior to our mid-season transfer out we had one scholarship to fill this year. We used it on a top 50 recruit. Last year we were looking for a different kind of player, and I'm liking the results from our freshmen so far. We'll see what Wojo is able to do with the newly opened scholarship but he's been pretty solid so far.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby marquette » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:04 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:
scoscox wrote:

I didn't say we haven't been doing that, I just said that is what we need to be aiming for every year. We have been doing a decent job of getting teams in the dance, last year with 7 was really good, I wouldn't be surprised if we get 7 in again this year. Says a lot, but as a whole, we could be representing a lot better come March as well. I believe out of the 7, only 1 team made it to the second weekend last year. Also, 3 Top 20 teams right now is good, but we should have at least 1 more team ranked.

Look, we are doing a good job, but we have to continue to aim higher as a whole, and again, it starts with recruiting, once that happens, the rest starts to take care of itself.

Butler made the sweet 16, Xavier the elite 8 in 2017.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Postby XtoDC » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:46 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:Folks, it starts with recruiting. In regards to ESPN's Top 100 for the Class of 2018, Villanova has 2 (most likely will be 3 when it is all said and done), G'Town has 1, Creighton has 1, SJU has 1, Marquette has 1, and PC has 2, that is 8 overall so far and none of our commitments are really Top 50 guys. The ACC has 8 commitments in the Top 25 alone, will probably be more when it is all said and done. I know ESPN is only 1 recruiting service (Scout/247, Rivals, etc.), and sometimes you have to take rankings with a grain of salt, but our recruiting as a conference overall needs to be a lot better. Jay Wright has made a living off guys in the 50 - 100 range so we don't necessarily need Burger Boys either. We should be aiming for 15-20 guys in the Top 100 coming to the Big East every year though to remain strong as a whole and also to prove that we are a desirable destination for top ranked recruits. Gotta pick it up on the recruiting trail.

I think with recruiting you may need to look at it a bit differently with our schools. A better ranking would probably be top 100 recruits on rosters per season. Xavier and Villanova don't need to recruit Trevon Bluiett/Jalen Brunson every year because those guys are there for 3-4 years. It's not like with one and dones where if you don't recruit that caliber on a year to year basis you'll fall off.

Look at Seton Hall with their current senior class. It was always going to be really tough for them to have top 25 recruiting classes for the few years after that because the class was so good but didn't have those really high end players that would leave early. I don't think they should be punished because they didn't keep recruiting at the same level. They had high level guys come in and then kept them together for a while (minus Whitehead, obviously). Top 100 players (non top 20 or so) don't want to commit to a school and then ride the bench.
XtoDC

Postby milksteak » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Getting a team not named Villanova to the Final Four and beyond would be huge for this league. It would be the best thing we could hope for after a championship for Nova.
"I am a penned-up, leashed dog right now, and I can't wait to get started for Butler University."
- Barry Collier, August 1, 2006
milksteak

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board