(1) Bill Walton Games... Thread Starts 1/11/2018...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:04 pm

No Big East games tonight, but there's a game scheduled tonight with Bill Walton as the analyst.

Utah at UCLA, 11pm.

Enjoy. To me, the guy is hilarious. Plus he's at the Pauley Pavilion.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: (1) Bill Walton Game Tonight... 1/11/2018

Postby DeadHeadHoya » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:18 pm

I'm a big fan...
DeadHeadHoya

Postby MUPanther » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 pm

I'm a big fan if you are starting a Bill Walton topic. I love Walton with Dave Pasch in the Conference of Champions.

It was hilarious two weeks ago when Bill asked how Dave's cat is doing. Dave said, he died 3 years ago.
Marquette Season Ticket Holder at Fiserv Forum
Milwaukee Panther Season Ticket Holder at UWM Panther Arena (MECCA)
MUPanther

Postby DanofXav76 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:06 pm

I Love you guys! All of my buddies think I'm crazy because I love Walton games. Just a breath of fresh air from all the guys that treat each and every game as if it's life and death. Not afraid to poke fun at himself and a great story teller too.
DanofXav76

Postby BEhomer » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:04 am

ppl either like him or hate him. I'm the latter. If i want laughs and giggles, I will tune in to Comedy central. when I turn on basketball game i expect to hear things related to what's going on on the court.
BEhomer

Postby Irishdawg » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:44 am

BEhomer wrote:ppl either like him or hate him. I'm the latter. If i want laughs and giggles, I will tune in to Comedy central. when I turn on basketball game i expect to hear things related to what's going on on the court.

Yeah, I'm with you. I honestly don't mind his shtick in small doses, but when it's the majority of the game, it gets old quick. The games aren't life or death, but I'd rather get insight into what's actually occurring on the floor versus listening to Walton drone on about the origins of hummus or something equally as important.

I've actually been pleasantly surprised with Tom Crean in the studio. I didn't think he would be nearly as good as he is in that role.
Irishdawg

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:17 am

I like that he mixes in some college hoops history, some music, some descriptions of the campus, and keeps things positive. Rarely will he berate or criticize a player or coach except to say "bad shot". He does talk about the action, it's just that he fills in the downtime with other topics. Very knowledgeable about the coaches and players and their hometowns, can go into detail about Larry Krystkowiak for example, or a bunch of greats that are now mostly forgotten. At BYU last month, Walton walked us through the retired banners with a nice description of and adulation for each BYU legend, such as Kresimur Cosic, big discussion about Cosic.

To me, Dave Pasch is such a wet blanket, not like Barbara Hershey but just so cynical. A typical Syracuse alum, which Walton loves to tease him about when necessary. Actually Pasch reminds me of Sean McDonough, Syracuse grad, boring as anything, and doesn't seem to be enjoying himself.

Last month in UConn v Arizona game, paraphrasing:
Pasch: Boy, the UConn program is in shambles, barely at 500 and struggling.
Walton: How many championships has UConn won in the last 20 years?
Pasch: Four.
Walton: How many has Syracuse won?
Pasch: One.
Walton: Ok then.

Nice info that Walton mixed in last night was how Long Beach State had a dominant team from 1968 thru 1973 or so, under Jerry Tarkanian, and he recommended a book about Tark.
Providence
billyjack

Postby cu blujs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:47 pm

In doses he is fine, but I find that there are times I just have to turn the volume down because it can get downright tiresome. I caught the beginning of a game he did recently, and I can no longer recall what he was blathering about just after tip-off, but the PxP guy was left speechless because whatever he said was just so stupid. After a few seconds of dead air, I think he said something like come on Bill. Well alright. And then went into the game call.
cu blujs

Postby sarp » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:53 pm

My favorite moment last night was when Bill Walton said "They created the internet at UCLA". I immediately thought of Al Gore.
Creighton Fan since the 1980's
sarp

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:59 pm

Lol...

Last night, i liked the exchange where they promoted an upcoming Duke game, then... paraphrasing...

Pasch: Marvin Bagley, would you draft him with your first pick?
Walton: Bagley, what a major talent, he can run the floor, can do everything well--
Pasch: Would you pick him first???
Walton: There's also Ayton who we saw last week for Arizona, sees the floor so well--
Pasch: Would you pick him first???
Walton: It would depend on the needs of my team... Trae Young is another, so amazing... and the kid from Croatia--
Pasch: Would you pick him.first??
Walton: Look, i don't live in some "binary" universe...

To me, just a hilarious exchange.
Providence
billyjack

Next

Return to Big East basketball message board