Passing of '87 Friar Legend Ernie "Pop" Lewis...

The home for Big East hoops

Postby billyjack » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:05 am

Sorry to hear of the passing of Friar legend Ernie "Pop" Lewis. Very young, in his early 50's.

On the basketball court, he is most known for putting Friartown officially back on the map, in late January 1987, by hitting a last second game-winner from the corner vs #11 Georgetown at the Dunk (Providence Civic Center at the time of course). PC was down 1 as the clock ticked down... Billy Donovan drove the lane and dished to the right corner, and Pop nailed a 3 to beat "Reggie and the Miracles".

This game is listed by most of us, depending on age, as one of the greatest games in Friar history. This game was also notable as the game where Rick Pitino and Friar-alum John Thompson Jr almost got into a fistfight midgame in front of the scorer's table.

That was on a Wednesday night. Three days later on the Saturday, the Friars beat St John's (Mark Jackson was a senior i think), and we found ourselves ranked for the first time since 1978. We clocked in at #17. Back then it was still just the "Top 20", not 25.

Pop was a fan favorite and always a good guy, and he was way too young to pass on.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Passing of '87 Friar Legend Ernie "Pop" Lewis...

Postby Bill Marsh » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 am

Thanks for the memories. That was my oldest daughter’s freshman year at PC. Went to every game I could. That group was the epitome of “team”and grit. A likable bunch of overachievers, and Pop was maybe the most likable. He was versaatile, laid back, and cool in the clutch. That was a season of redemption for what had been a decade of struggles. Sorry to hear of his passing. Hard to believe that players of that era like Pop and Pearl have left us too soon.
Bill Marsh

Postby billyjack » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:01 am

Bill Marsh wrote:Thanks for the memories. That was my oldest daughter’s freshman year at PC. Went to every game I could. That group was the epitome of “team”and grit. A likable bunch of overachievers, and Pop was maybe the most likable. He was versaatile, laid back, and cool in the clutch. That was a season of redemption for what had been a decade of struggles. Sorry to hear of his passing. Hard to believe that players of that era like Pop and Pearl have left us too soon.

Thanks for the post Bill. Always good to have to around here.
Providence
billyjack

Postby gosports1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:01 pm

sad. I remember him being very approachable and came across as a nice guy.
gosports1

Return to Big East basketball message board