St. John's Lovett Done for the Season

The home for Big East hoops

Re: St. John's Lovett Done for the Season

Postby Bluejay » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:28 pm

NJRedman wrote:Hey Holyland, does our team look clueless to you? Seton Hall fans? Creighton fans?

Prior to this season, I didn't think much of Mullin as a coach at all. In addition to questionable X's and O's, he seemed especially sensitive to razzing from opposing fanbases. I know he got into it with people in the Creighton crowd when they gave him a hard time about his shoes. Seriously! I would have thought that a former all american and NBA player would be more capable of blocking that stuff out.

When he brought his team to Omaha this year though, he changed my thinking. The team looked prepared, they had a solid game plan in place and, if not for our loud crowd, would have walked out with a victory.

In watching him since, the team has not looked as disciplined or prepared. I have no idea what to chalk that up to...it may be coaching, but it also could be locker room drama. Whatever the cause, they have not looked as good since that time.

For the record, I have no problem bringing a big name as HC (the impact on recruiting can be special), but he then needs to be surrounded by a stud X&O guy as an assistant...perhaps a guy that was a former HC . That is the model that Iowa State used very successfully with Hoiberg. If St Johns has done something wrong in my eyes, it is that Mullins' staff has been made up of recruiters or other big name stars and not necessarily X&O guys.
Bluejay

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:01 pm

Bluejay wrote:Prior to this season, I didn't think much of Mullin as a coach at all. In addition to questionable X's and O's, he seemed especially sensitive to razzing from opposing fanbases. I know he got into it with people in the Creighton crowd when they gave him a hard time about his shoes. Seriously! I would have thought that a former all american and NBA player would be more capable of blocking that stuff out.

Was Creighton kicking the Johnnies' ass when he got into it with the fans for clowning him about his shoes?
Red Rooster

Postby Savannah Jay » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Red Rooster wrote:
Bluejay wrote:Prior to this season, I didn't think much of Mullin as a coach at all. In addition to questionable X's and O's, he seemed especially sensitive to razzing from opposing fanbases. I know he got into it with people in the Creighton crowd when they gave him a hard time about his shoes. Seriously! I would have thought that a former all american and NBA player would be more capable of blocking that stuff out.

Was Creighton kicking the Johnnies' ass when he got into it with the fans for clowning him about his shoes?

The first year Mullin came to Omaha (which is when the teasing happened, I believe), Jays won 100-59.
Savannah Jay

Postby Red Rooster » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:53 pm

Savannah Jay wrote:
Red Rooster wrote:

The first year Mullin came to Omaha (which is when the teasing happened, I believe), Jays won 100-59.

That's why he was getting pissed. He acts bonkers when the team isn't playing well.
Red Rooster

Postby Omaha1 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 pm

I'm confused. So he just quit?
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:52 am

Omaha, here's a quick recap:

In the UCF game in late November, LoVett fell to the floor and came up limping a bit but didn't seem serious. He came out of the game understandably and they evaluated him. No structural damage or anything serious. He was diagnosed with a sprained knee and the team listed him as "day to day", further implying it wasn't serious. Then as it seemed to take forever, some fans were labeled as "conspiracy theorists" and "nuts" for reading between the lines and saying that he was probably just milking it so he doesn't blow his chance at a career overseas. Obviously if you hear "day to day" after 8 weeks or so, something is up, though some fans still believed he was hurt and took every word of coachspeak for 100% truth. Anyway, to make a long story short, it finally came out officially that he was done for the year. The bombshell was that he was cleared by doctors a month ago. In other words, he's fine he just misled everyone to believe he was still hurting so he can preserve himself and then go overseas. Really took the team hostage. I wish LoVett well, but he's clearly not a team player and while he's 100% allowed to look out for his future, there are ways to do it without misleading the team, coaches, fans, etc.
MullinMayhem

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 pm

Odd for a player to preserve himself for overseas play.....
Jet915

Postby MullinMayhem » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:18 pm

Jet915 wrote:Odd for a player to preserve himself for overseas play.....

Agreed. The odd thing to me are the group of SJ fans who act like this behavior is totally acceptable. Of course I can understand that a kid wants to capitalize on his future career and make money. No one is saying they don't understand it. But it's the way LoVett went about this that makes him seem like a poor teammate who is soft. It's not like he was going to be an NBA lottery pick. He was shady to begin with having gone to some crazy number of high schools (I think 5?). Then he almost transferred but thought better of it and stayed. My question is, if you really want to preserve yourself then fine, no need to lie. Why not tell coaches you are leaving the program immediately after the sprain if you have no plans on returning? Can't you just leave whenever you want? He strung everyone along for months which is not right. This absolutely led to more losses for us and makes coaches look even worse (could have won more with him playing when he was healed a month ago). Not saying him playing would've covered all our other holes but it would've made us better that's for sure.
MullinMayhem

Previous

Return to Big East basketball message board