Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby marquette » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:17 pm

Bluejay wrote:Is this the last year that the AAC receives any NCAA tourney credits earned prior to the breakup of the conference? When that well dries up, UConn will be in even worse financial shape as I understand that UConn, Cincy and USF were essentially sharing those $ among themselves and not with any other AAC members.

I believe they have one more year of the tourney credits, but the real money is coming from the tens of millions in exit fees paid by all the schools that left (C7 did not pay exit fees as the bylaws allowed them to leave as a group without doing so and kept their NCAA units, but did give up their rights to the exit fees of Pitt, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Syracuse, WV, etc.). UConn ,UC, and USF I believe are keeping that money to themselves and it is still being paid out in yearly installments, I believe over a 10 year period but I could be wrong. That is the real money, and when it runs out things could get ugly.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Class of '16
marquette

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby JPSchmack » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:29 pm

marquette wrote:
Bluejay wrote:Is this the last year that the AAC receives any NCAA tourney credits earned prior to the breakup of the conference? When that well dries up, UConn will be in even worse financial shape as I understand that UConn, Cincy and USF were essentially sharing those $ among themselves and not with any other AAC members.

I believe they have one more year of the tourney credits, but the real money is coming from the tens of millions in exit fees paid by all the schools that left (C7 did not pay exit fees as the bylaws allowed them to leave as a group without doing so and kept their NCAA units, but did give up their rights to the exit fees of Pitt, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Syracuse, WV, etc.). UConn ,UC, and USF I believe are keeping that money to themselves and it is still being paid out in yearly installments, I believe over a 10 year period but I could be wrong. That is the real money, and when it runs out things could get ugly.

American NCAA Unit payouts:

2014: 125
2015: 118
2016: 97
2017: 86
2018: 66

2019: 43 + 2018 earned
2020: 23 + 2018-2019 earned (first year of AAC only)

2021: 11 + 2018-2020 earned
2022: 8 + 2018-2021 earned
2023: 3 + 2018-2022 earned
2024: 0 + 2018-2023 earned

The exit fees from teams leaving the Big East for the ACC/Big XII/Big Ten totaled $70 million, and the full details weren't announced, but the old commish said that the distribution wasn't equal payments: UConn (most), Cincinnati (more), UCF (some) getting higher percentages than other schools, but "Eventually we'll move toward equalization because that's the kind of conference we are."

Who gets what doesn't really "matter" per se. What pertains to this conversation would only be "over how long they spread that money out over time" and "when is that war chest totally exhausted?" because we're really just discussing "When's the financial cliff for the AAC?"
JPSchmack

Postby FlyJays » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm

This is out of left field, but hear me out.

I think Loyola Chicago could be a decent candidate to join the Big East if/when we expand. Yes, I know they've had a rough go of it for the last 20 years, however:

Large Jesuit School (over 10k undergrad plus about 5k more in grad programs)
Strong academically
Natural rivalry with DePaul in Chicago
Fertile recruiting ground/solid facilities (brand new athletics training facility, but small on-campus arena - seats 5k)
Program with rich history (1963 National Champions, Sweet 16 in 1985, 23 NBA draft picks, including #1 overall pick LaRue Martin and more recently Milton Doyle who currently plays for Brooklyn Nets)

Porter Moser has them rolling right now. He took over a program that was 1-17 in conference his first year and they are currently alone in 1st place in the Missouri Valley at 16-4, with a true non-con road win @ Florida this year.

Thoughts?
FlyJays

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:35 pm

FlyJays wrote:This is out of left field, but hear me out.

I think Loyola Chicago could be a decent candidate to join the Big East if/when we expand. Yes, I know they've had a rough go of it for the last 20 years, however:

Strong academically
Fertile recruiting ground/solid facilities (brand new athletics training facility, but small on-campus arena - seats 5k)
Program with rich history (1963 National Champions, Sweet 16 in 1985, 23 NBA draft picks, including #1 overall pick LaRue Martin and more recently Milton Doyle who currently plays for Brooklyn Nets)

Porter Moser has them rolling right now. He took over a program that was 1-17 in conference his first year and they are currently alone in 1st place in the Missouri Valley at 16-4, with a true non-con road win @ Florida this year.

Thoughts?

Who is this Porter Moser? You need to get off the puter and get your team in shape for your battle with Drake at Arch Madness.
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:20 pm

At this rate, Loyola will make the tournament sooner than DePaul. Loyola is also currently out-recruiting DePaul on the Chicago front. Moser is a class act. I've met him a few times and heard him speak at coaching clinics. He is a great fit at Loyola and they will only get better.
GoldenWarrior11

Postby GoldenWarrior11 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:25 pm

From Steve Berkowitz, USA Today:

"University of Connecticut provided $33.9 million in institutional funding to its athletics department in FY2017, new document shows. That's up from $27 million in FY16, which was highest among D-1 public schools. In addition to $33.9 million in school funds, UConn athletics department received $8.3 million in student fees in FY17. (Fee total unchanged from FY16). Total athletics operating revenue for FY17: $83.4 million. Nearly $7M increase in institutional funding of athletics at UConn in FY17 appears largely tied to $5.4M rise in spending on severance, basically in connection w/ football coaching change."

With Kevin Ollie's potential dismissal after this season (and his very large contract), I would question on the current state of UConn athletics - one which its current TV contract with the American is a mere $1.7 million - is how this model is sustainable moving forward? How does the state continue pumping in these exorbitant amounts of money for such a little return?

I still stand by my prediction that UConn is back in the Big East by 2023. There is no way this can continue without a dramatic change in revenue (or success).
GoldenWarrior11

Postby FlyJays » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:59 pm

whiteandblue77 wrote:
FlyJays wrote:This is out of left field, but hear me out.

Strong academically

Thoughts?

Who is this Porter Moser? You need to get off the puter and get your team in shape for your battle with Drake at Arch Madness.

I’m a Creighton grad/fan - Porter’s great. But I’m not getting ready for anybody at Arch Madness. Honestly feel Loyola would be a good candidate though. And yes, to another poster’s point, Loyola has recruited Chicago really well. Multiple highly regarded CPS kids on the roster.
FlyJays

Postby whiteandblue77 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:34 pm

I'd prefer DePaul hiring Porter. With solid stints in Normal and Chicago he'd be a good fit with the Blue Demons
The Big East is Dead! Long Live the Big East!
whiteandblue77

Postby Bluejay » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:46 pm

Honestly, the perfect school would be Duquense if they can get their program headed in the right direction. Private catholic school in a big city without any current Big East presence, but with Big East history. They are a long way from being ready, but hopefully they are finally starting to get things headed in the right direction.
Bluejay

Postby MullinMayhem » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 am

My guess is UConn finally gives up on football eventually and joins us. My biggest fear is them firing Ollie after this year, getting Hurley, then joining the Big East becoming a major program again and recruiting the top kids in our area. Knowing our luck, this is exactly what will happen. Remember this post when it does.
MullinMayhem

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board