Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby gtmoBlue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:15 am

You must be new here Devil's Advocate. Pls take a few minutes and review the many previous realignment threads... :roll:
All private = Less government intrusion into conference business, Less required government reporting. No FOIA. No "inquiring minds" or reporters asking
alot of questions. No social media investigations. Generally less govt or press intrusion about the conference overall.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:45 pm

Thanks for the recap. I've been reading this board here and there since it started, so I've seen all kinds of opinions here. My point is that expansion would be driven by the almighty dollar, with help from media partners. I just don't see FOX (or eventually ESPN again) seeing Dayton/St. Bonnie/Loyola(really?) scratching that itch. Maybe Gonzaga, but that discussion will always be a tough one due to location. My opinion, public/private doesn't matter. D1 football/no D1 football does.
Devil's Advocate

Postby EMT » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Devil's Advocate wrote:Thanks for the recap. I've been reading this board here and there since it started, so I've seen all kinds of opinions here. My point is that expansion would be driven by the almighty dollar, with help from media partners. I just don't see FOX (or eventually ESPN again) seeing Dayton/St. Bonnie/Loyola(really?) scratching that itch. Maybe Gonzaga, but that discussion will always be a tough one due to location. My opinion, public/private doesn't matter. D1 football/no D1 football does.

Name a public institution that we would want that doesn't play football and is a geographic fit?
EMT

Postby Devil's Advocate » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:16 pm

To be clear, I believe that expansion for the Big East right now is both unnecessary and unwarranted. But it's fun to hypothesize.

As an answer to the question, Wichita State and maybe someday UCONN.
Devil's Advocate

Postby Bluejay » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:21 am

Devil's Advocate wrote: My opinion, public/private doesn't matter. D1 football/no D1 football does.

I would agree with the football part.

Public/private does have some relevance but it is perhaps a bit overblown. What would be important would be academic standing and admission requirements. UConn generally works as an addition because they have solid academics. A school like WSU, which prefers kids that would have a hard time making it through the admissions departments of most, if not all, of the current Big East schools present a problem. It would present some fairness concerns if one school can play with kids that no other school can admit.
Bluejay

Postby Omaha1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:34 am

Bluejay wrote:
Devil's Advocate wrote: My opinion, public/private doesn't matter. D1 football/no D1 football does.

I would agree with the football part.

Public/private does have some relevance but it is perhaps a bit overblown. What would be important would be academic standing and admission requirements. UConn generally works as an addition because they have solid academics. A school like WSU, which prefers kids that would have a hard time making it through the admissions departments of most, if not all, of the current Big East schools present a problem. It would present some fairness concerns if one school can play with kids that no other school can admit.

You're basically describing Nebraska football and the massive decline they've had since the 90s when the Big12 voted against allowing unlimited Prop 48s. I think it was an 11-1 vote with Osborne being the only vote against.
Nebraska by birth, Creighton by choice.
Omaha1

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:51 am

So not that I think we should, but do you think Wichita St. would leave the AAC if we invited them? I am tempted to say yes if the buyout numbers aren't crazy.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby BigmanU » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:11 pm

DudeAnon wrote:So not that I think we should, but do you think Wichita St. would leave the AAC if we invited them? I am tempted to say yes if the buyout numbers aren't crazy.

Get rid of these small town thoughts. Only add teams that benefit us!

Historically, what has Wichita State ever done besides that Final 4 a few years ago? I don't want to hear about 65' before the sport was completely integrated. They = VCU. All coach, we he leaves they fall off a cliff.
BigmanU

Postby DudeAnon » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm

BigmanU wrote:
DudeAnon wrote:So not that I think we should, but do you think Wichita St. would leave the AAC if we invited them? I am tempted to say yes if the buyout numbers aren't crazy.

Historically, what has Wichita State ever done besides that Final 4 a few years ago? I don't want to hear about 65' before the sport was completely integrated. They = VCU. All coach, we he leaves they fall off a cliff.

Here is how I look at it. Butler, Creighton and Xavier were all good programs before the Big East. But this conference has allowed each to make that next step and this has undoubtedly benefited the Big East in return. Now there is no guarantee that any added school will experience a similar transformation. But if I told you that VCU, Dayton or Wichita St. would have a similar experience would you not want them? Butler, Creighton and Xavier constitute 3/5 of the top half of programs in the BE right now.
Xavier

2018 Big East Champs
DudeAnon

Postby BigmanU » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
BigmanU wrote:

Here is how I look at it. Butler, Creighton and Xavier were all good programs before the Big East. But this conference has allowed each to make that next step and this has undoubtedly benefited the Big East in return. Now there is no guarantee that any added school will experience a similar transformation. But if I told you that VCU, Dayton or Wichita St. would have a similar experience would you not want them? Butler, Creighton and Xavier constitute 3/5 of the top half of programs in the BE right now.

No I wouldn't. None of VCU, Dayton or Wichita St. have the pedigree as Butler, Creighton and Xavier. Before Gregg Marshall, Wichita State hasn't even dominated their conference!

They are also in a small market, the only small market team with enough pelts & kills is Gonzaga. Even that is far fetched because of distance. They would add to the conference & don't need the BEast. Those are the teams to add. It needs to be mutually beneficially arrangement to add teams.
BigmanU

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board