Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 pm

handdownmandown wrote:I've known Gtmo for close to a decade through CU boards. What he's doing now is demanding babies, not just labor pains.

If you don't believe me, head over to the Underground. Clouds have rolled in with our fade this season. If I know Gtmo he will straight up admit it here in a bit, because you and I both know he's not shy about saying exactly what he thinks.

I love this message board. I love this conference.
XAVIER
Xudash

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:41 pm

DudeAnon wrote:
You respect wanting to add sub-par schools in order to boost your bubble chances?

I think you don’t understand the difference between the words respect and agree.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:30 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Kayako, pls read Xudash's post. There is plenty of bias in how college basketball run.

I read all of it. Most will dismiss his expansion ideas, and I don't think they're realistic, but I am at least open to some of it and think it makes sense. But this committee bashing has to stop. You guys are taking it way to far when saying they are systematically destroying the mid-majors. Listen to one of many Creighton AD's interviews, the guy is laying it out there unlike you guys.

I would replace the .500 and below middlin majors with MTSU, St Marys and other midmajors with good rpi and RS champion Midmajors who didn't win their conf tourneys.

You gave me 2 teams. I gave you several more that didn't meet your criteria. So if the committee gave an at-large to Vermont, how do you explain that to Marquette fans? Oh, and please explain to us who you replace Butler with?
supernova
kayako

Postby kayako » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:36 pm

JPSchmack wrote:At Larges. Gonzaga, Wichita State and Rhode Island won the WCC, MVC, A-10 autos last year. Saint Mary’s (1), VCU (2) and Dayton (3) got at-larges

No mention of the top mid-majors joining BCS conferences because five brackets ago was the 2014 NCAA Tournament. Only Wichita State has moved up (and they didn’t have an at-large in 2014).

You paid attention, I stand corrected. So what's your stance on the Bonnies' placement in the bracket now? Are they better off being in Seton Hall's position?
supernova
kayako

Postby billyjack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:29 pm

How often do the Bonnies play in Buffalo?
And how many of those are A-10 games?
For this year and in past years?
Providence
billyjack

Postby Xudash » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:59 pm

kayako wrote:
gtmoBlue wrote:Kayako, pls read Xudash's post. There is plenty of bias in how college basketball run.

I read all of it. Most will dismiss his expansion ideas, and I don't think they're realistic, but I am at least open to some of it and think it makes sense. But this committee bashing has to stop. You guys are taking it way to far when saying they are systematically destroying the mid-majors. Listen to one of many Creighton AD's interviews, the guy is laying it out there unlike you guys.

I would replace the .500 and below middlin majors with MTSU, St Marys and other midmajors with good rpi and RS champion Midmajors who didn't win their conf tourneys.

You gave me 2 teams. I gave you several more that didn't meet your criteria. So if the committee gave an at-large to Vermont, how do you explain that to Marquette fans? Oh, and please explain to us who you replace Butler with?

My disposition towards BE expansion is all about not expanding right now, because we're proving to be a strong thing/business model/group as we exist. Should expansion become necessary in the next few years, it would seem to become that as a result of scheduling issues brought about by certain P5 20-conference game moves. I'd still think we would consider calling the BXII to alleviate that issue, as the BE and the Big XII would both be in a similar situation at that point. I'm not even sure such a maneuver would be necessary then, btw.

Overall and at any rate, if we truly had to expand for any reason, then:

1. Make it by one team to protect the round robin; and

2. Make it an impactful addition, consistent with Ackerman's statements.

I highly doubt that most dismiss my thoughts on expansion around here at this point. Perhaps you were thinking about JP's ideas.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:44 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
handdownmandown wrote:Just an FYI, Gtmo is ridiculously butt hurt right now because CU hasn't risen like, say, X has.

View his posts through that prism.

I don't think you know our buddy Git. I wouldn't characterize him as "butt hurt" as CU is compared to X. Git just wants his program to aspire to Final Fours and Conference Trophies, and wants excellence across the board for all BE schools. He's part hoops visionary, part TV evangelist, part crazy uncle with a mason jar full of moonshine hollering in the corner. But he is passionate about his Jays and he (rightfully so) expects them to do what is needed to make a FF and win a BET or Reg Season trophy and soon. I respect that.

Geez Gumby, you got this old goat pegged pretty well. Thanks.

handdownmandown wrote:
I've known Gtmo for close to a decade through CU boards. What he's doing now is demanding babies, not just labor pains.

If you don't believe me, head over to the Underground. Clouds have rolled in with our fade this season. If I know Gtmo he will straight up admit it here in a bit, because you and I both know he's not shy about saying exactly what he thinks.

As for butt hurt... I don't envy any school/university. We are what we are, whether by earning it, gaming it, cheating (UNC, S'cuse, L'ville), etc. X has earned everything they've received...they've worked hard and are a great program. Gumby nailed my position on the head. Thanks Gumby.

My Jays have the tradition, history, and now the tools to excell. I don't want to wait another 10 years to get there. On CU boards it was remarked (by another poster) that it took Coach Wooden 14 years before his UCLA run began. I remarked I wasn't willing to wait on Mac to hit his stride in year 14. Mac's a good coach and has job security (and I'll leave it at that, for now). I just don't have the patience of Job.

I am a bit torqued about losing 4 closely contested, late games (Xavier, Prov, and 2 to Marquette), of which 3 were in Omaha. We blew leads in all of those games and it made a difference btwn 24-7 and 21-11. Six to eight losses is tolerable, but It is inexcusable to fold consistently when holding a dbl digit lead in the 2nd half and wind up conference midpack at 10-8 and Eleven overall losses. Not upset about losing at Hinkle - that happens. Creighton is/was better than 21-11 this year, but we didn't prove it. We are what our record says we are.

Most in Omaha are happy because that is what their predictions were (10-12 losses overall and 9-9 or 10-8 in conference) and we snuck into the dance. Folks in Omaha were giddy when we squeaked over Nova, but in my opinion it was too little, too late. The way in which we finished the RS and again losing to Prov in the BET...IMO we were not tourney worthy. However, due to being in the Big boys club, and meeting the criteria, we got a bid.

The move to the BE is about growth and development to elite status (Villanova Status). In only 5 years IMO too many have readily and happily accepted just being part of the 2nd tier/midpack club and all too easily offer up platitudes, rationales, and excuses to justify being and staying midpack. I can't speak for Ras, but I would think he wants a trophy or two for the new trophy cases...I know I sure as hell do. Reg Season and BET hardware, championship banners, NCAA SS, EE, etc., banners, for visitors, recruits, and fans to see and admire. The other paraphrenalia - new caps, t-shirts, and hoodies, posters, etc. The whole 9 yards.

The current staff has this tourney and 2 more years on contract in order to hit some milestones (non-conf tourney, 20 w's, beat some ranked teams, RS champs, BET champs, SS, 30 w's, etc). Not gonna hit every milestone-every year, but some would be nice. I would think that after 7 years there would be sufficient time to make some achievements and for the AD to properly evaluate progress.

Thad Matta is available.
Last edited by gtmoBlue on Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby gtmoBlue » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:47 pm

Kayako -

Marquette didn't get a bid. AND Creighton, Butler, SH, and Marquette were not deserving of a bid. CU/BU/SH got in because they are midpackers in a power conference. They are
part of the "Haves" in college basketball. Of our midpack teams, only Prov deserved a bid, based on their BET run.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby handdownmandown » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:23 pm

And there you have it: The new "Get Off My Lawn" Gtmo.

The idea that we "ascend - and in a rightful manner - to the top of the heap is either something that absolutely has to happen, or the staff should/will be scrapped" is an ongoing undercurrent in Bluejay land. Yes, we've risen from the Valley to a top half high major team in five years, our talent level and recruiting have improved year over year, but for some it's not enough. Mack and Cooley had better get out of the way, because the expectations of some are now that it's either the absolute big time, and NOW, or start thinking about a replacement. For them anyone is better; for Gtmo, a physically weak coach who got run out of his last job because his recruiting fell off the face of the Earth (while he himself was having a hard time function) is enough to get the imagination running. That it's the school that tried to poach our coach to replace Matta only adds to the irony.

I know Gtmo knows that Ras told Mac WHILE HE WAS STILL AT ISU, that he was his dream hire. Rasmussen wants good results that are attained at a high level of character, which is why he told Greg that - he knew his character, and felt he was a high level person AND coach. Mac isn't going anywhere. Like it or not, results such as this are more than enough for Mac to keep his job indefinitely, regardless of the relative emptiness of a trophy case. This is fact.

You can demand all you want, but there's a reason why some run the show while others drink moonshine in the corner.

And the part about not being tourney worthy is sour grapes at best and pure silliness at worst. If CU, Butler, and Hall all didn't deserve a bid, then we should just go back to the 24 team tourney of 50 years ago.
handdownmandown

Postby billyjack » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:20 pm

gtmoBlue wrote:Kayako -

Marquette didn't get a bid. AND Creighton, Butler, SH, and Marquette were not deserving of a bid. CU/BU/SH got in because they are midpackers in a power conference. They are
part of the "Haves" in college basketball. Of our midpack teams, only Prov deserved a bid, based on their BET run.

I'm not following your talking points...

The 10 of us as a unit earned each of our very-much-deserved 6 bids. The 10 of us as a unit helped X and VU in earning two #1 seeds. Louisville is in the NIT because Seton Hall beat them at the Yum. UCLA was in Dayton cuz Creighton beat them. Butler beat Ohio State. If Georgetown had held on vs Syracuse, then the Orangemen would've been in the NIT. Villanova and XU are #1-seeds in part because 0-11 St John's bumped off douchebag Coach K.

And with McDermott (and Butler and Xavier), he had to make the almost impossible transition from a solid Valley to an outstanding Big East. He needed to upgrade the Creighton roster on the fly, prepare his players for Top-30 matchups back to back to back to back to back etc.

Creighton has made 2 consecutive tourneys, and is set for the next couple of years with Alexander, Ballock, Krampelj returning, Harrell, Mintz, etc. The Jays have a great brand, Shooter U, a wide open offense, and can play physical. To ditch McDermott would be nuts, c'mon.
Providence
billyjack

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board