Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby adoraz » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:13 pm

Every VCU game has been sold out since 2011? That's pretty impressive. They'd certainly help MSG attendance.

My current preferences (changes most years):
1. UConn
2. Gonzaga (gone up)
3. VCU (gone down)
4. St. Louis (gone down)
5. Dayton

IMO, Gonzaga and possibly Dayton are the only two candidates who have improved their reputations since realignment. The most likely addition (St. Louis) took a pretty big hit the past 5 years. Maybe this year will be different.
Johnnies
adoraz

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BEwannabe » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:32 am

From for the what it's worth department the Flyers will be up & down this year. Roster still thin from Archie departure, playing 8 guys, plans to redshirt a freshman changed when our 6th man went down to season ending injury. The Flyers will be back at full strength from a roster standpoint next year with quite a bit of experience.
BEwannabe

Postby ChestRockwell85 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:40 am

St. Louis, Gonzaga or UConn, that is it. Dayton and VCU I am not sold on. To the people making suggestions like St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure, cut the shit. You wanna play in a big boy conference, act like it. Sick of that shit. Enough of the mid-major mentality. St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure? Jesus. H. Christ.
1985 / 2016 / 2018 NATIONAL CHAMPS gtmoBlue is my homeboy
ChestRockwell85

Postby scoscox » Thu Dec 20, 2018 12:47 pm

ChestRockwell85 wrote:St. Louis, Gonzaga or UConn, that is it. Dayton and VCU I am not sold on. To the people making suggestions like St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure, cut the shit. You wanna play in a big boy conference, act like it. Sick of that shit. Enough of the mid-major mentality. St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure? Jesus. H. Christ.

Good post, but add st. louis to the no chance list. i'm sick of that suggestion. they are awful. 7 tourney appearances in the last 60 years and haven't been to the sweet sixteen since 1957. please stop with that.
scoscox

Postby BillikensWin » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:53 pm

scoscox wrote:
ChestRockwell85 wrote:St. Louis, Gonzaga or UConn, that is it. Dayton and VCU I am not sold on. To the people making suggestions like St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure, cut the shit. You wanna play in a big boy conference, act like it. Sick of that shit. Enough of the mid-major mentality. St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure? Jesus. H. Christ.

Good post, but add st. louis to the no chance list. i'm sick of that suggestion. they are awful. 7 tourney appearances in the last 60 years and haven't been to the sweet sixteen since 1957. please stop with that.

We each have our opinions. I would like to see SLU in the Big East, but realize we are outside the ropes right now. History and 1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee.
Saint Louis University: Proud Members of the Big Atlantic Valley Conference
BillikensWin

Postby adoraz » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:56 pm

I don't agree with everything, but absolutely agree with the premise.

No more talk of teams like St. Joe's and St. Bonaventure. It's so ridiculous, and there isn't even a one in a million chance the leaders are considering them.
Johnnies
adoraz

Postby scoscox » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 pm

BillikensWin wrote:
scoscox wrote:

We each have our opinions. I would like to see SLU in the Big East, but realize we are outside the ropes right now. History and 1.00 will buy you a cup of coffee.

You have to have atleast some semblance of basketball pedigree for me to be enthusiastic about an addition. SLU has virtually 0 pedigree. No real difference between SLU and St. Bonas in that respect. The Bonnies arguably have more
scoscox

Postby JayPak » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:16 pm

The 2 I want, geography be danged, are the Zags and BYU. Missions fit. Basketball pedigrees. Problem with Sunday games though.
"When you lose a program like Creighton, there's no sugarcoating it," Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin said. "It's a devastating loss. They're going to go on and have success in the league they've joined." Yahoo Sports, October 10, 2013.
JayPak

Postby GumbyDamnit! » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:07 pm

scoscox wrote:You have to have atleast some semblance of basketball pedigree for me to be enthusiastic about an addition. SLU has virtually 0 pedigree. No real difference between SLU and St. Bonas in that respect. The Bonnies arguably have more

I think this decision goes beyond a single metric. UConn - great pedigree = yes; location = yes; public = no; FB aspirations = no; TV market size = meh . SLU: pedigree = no; location = yes; tv market = yes; private school = yes. Gonzaga = location so bad it's probably a no.

IMO Val and the BE President's (if they are going to expand) will not simply look at how many SW 16's a school has had. I would imagine that Fox will also at least be part of the discussion. It will be more of a business decision than purely a BB one. Don't get caught up in short term issues like who is coaching their team, or what they've done in the past. What if SLU laid out a plan to spend $4M on a great coaching staff, was able to provide some compelling data/research on the St. Lou market, and asked for 3-4 years to demonstrate their commitment as they seriously ramp up their program? I think they might be the most ideal school that aligns best with us at the end of the day. If I am SLU I am putting together a committee right now and being proactive. Sell us.
Go Nova!
GumbyDamnit!

Postby Xudash » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:22 pm

GumbyDamnit! wrote:
scoscox wrote:You have to have atleast some semblance of basketball pedigree for me to be enthusiastic about an addition. SLU has virtually 0 pedigree. No real difference between SLU and St. Bonas in that respect. The Bonnies arguably have more

I think this decision goes beyond a single metric. UConn - great pedigree = yes; location = yes; public = no; FB aspirations = no; TV market size = meh . SLU: pedigree = no; location = yes; tv market = yes; private school = yes. Gonzaga = location so bad it's probably a no.

IMO Val and the BE President's (if they are going to expand) will not simply look at how many SW 16's a school has had. I would imagine that Fox will also at least be part of the discussion. It will be more of a business decision than purely a BB one. Don't get caught up in short term issues like who is coaching their team, or what they've done in the past. What if SLU laid out a plan to spend $4M on a great coaching staff, was able to provide some compelling data/research on the St. Lou market, and asked for 3-4 years to demonstrate their commitment as they seriously ramp up their program? I think they might be the most ideal school that aligns best with us at the end of the day. If I am SLU I am putting together a committee right now and being proactive. Sell us.

No doubt about it.

How is "business decision" defined? It seems that has to be primarily defined on the basis of financial impact, which is balanced to a degree by marketing considerations: brand fit with existing BE Members, etc.

Financial impact? Primarily about the ability to ADD normalized dollars to each member's television revenue split. A proactive addition would up the Fox agreement from where it stands now for the existing 10 plus the new member. Any addition that can do that has a strong brand and track record in the NCAAT, so such a program would have a positive impact on both the TV deal and our NCAAT Unit performance.

Thank God we don't NEED to deal with this now or for a while. IF and when we do have to deal with it, we can only hope that it will be about making a pro-active, mutually beneficial addition versus plucking one of the best-of-the-rest in order to backfill for defensive reasons.
XAVIER
Xudash

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board