Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby Jet915 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:00 pm

I'd take UCONN if they dropped football. They have multiple national championships, even though their cache is greatly diminished, it still has value.
Jet915

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:29 pm

UConn's not dropping/parking football. Their men's hoops is tumbling down the slope with an avalanche on their tail.
Goldenwarrior is singlehandedly banging the drum: "UConn, UConn, UConn." He must be on contract with them.
Don't want UConn back - they would mess up the perfect Round Robin thing we have going. Rather have S'cuse, ND, and/or the Zags. No to UConn, that ship has sailed away.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby bluejayfanatic » Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Gotta disagree with you on this one, gtmo. I'm skeptical of the round robin format but even if it's what I'm told it is, we could add UConn as our 11th member, move to a 20-game league format like many other power conferences are planning to do (B1G, ACC), and keep the precious RR format.

It took me a long time to believe UConn would ever ditch FB in order to rejoin the Big East, but I'm becoming increasingly curious. At some point, the astonishing rate at which UConn is subsidizing its athletics program is going to turn into a public relations hurricane. It's already getting there. I agree the school will do everything it can to keep football afloat but inevitably the money will run out and they won't have a choice but to kill off, downgrade, or spin off football altogether. And they probably won't be alone. At that time, assuming there is any cache or value left in their BB program, the Big East may seriously consider floating a life raft to the Huskies, reasoning it already has a token non-Catholic school, why not a token public school?
bluejayfanatic

Postby DeltaV » Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:01 pm

GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
EMT wrote:I'd rather step on UConn's neck and break it vs giving them a lifeline. They have little to no chance of getting into a major conference. They live in a state with a declining population. They are a public university. Their terrific fan base has abandoned their team and the attendance has appeared to settle into their old Yankee Conference base. Can you imagine Creighton & Marquette fans playing to a half-full arena? Marquette had over 13k for Mt Freakin Mary's.

Is UConn a program? Or was UConn Calhoun and they struggle to recover. Even as great as Calhoun was and you can't argue with NCAA Championships, the most NCAAs he made in a row was 5. The true blue bloods go every year. Izzo is on 20 straight. Marquette went to 8 straight with Crean/Buzz

Maybe so, but UConn would absolutely increase the value of the Big East, and it would be a mutual benefit to both parties. They would add another top program to the collection of already strong men's basketball programs. Their attendance would immediately increase due to the number of proximal geographic and historical rivals. They would pack the Garden for the tournament. The substantial decrease in travel would also benefit their student-athletes, namely their basketball team, which would only benefit their program at this point. If Fox determined that adding UConn would bump up the payments to each of the Big East schools to $5 million for its next contract, not to mention the added potential of adding one of the strongest historical men's programs in the country (and former conference affiliate), it is a no-brainer (especially with leagues considering going to 20 conference games).

They would have increased the value of the Big East when it was formed. They would probably increase the value of the Big East now. But will they in 5-10 years? They're not giving up the dream now or any time soon. And if/when they do, it may be too late.
'Nova MechE, Swimming
DeltaV

Postby gtmoBlue » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:21 pm

DeltaV wrote:
GoldenWarrior11 wrote:
EMT wrote:I'd rather step on UConn's neck and break it vs giving them a lifeline. They have little to no chance of getting into a major conference. They live in a state with a declining population. They are a public university. Their terrific fan base has abandoned their team and the attendance has appeared to settle into their old Yankee Conference base. Can you imagine Creighton & Marquette fans playing to a half-full arena? Marquette had over 13k for Mt Freakin Mary's.

Is UConn a program? Or was UConn Calhoun and they struggle to recover. Even as great as Calhoun was and you can't argue with NCAA Championships, the most NCAAs he made in a row was 5. The true blue bloods go every year. Izzo is on 20 straight. Marquette went to 8 straight with Crean/Buzz

Maybe so, but UConn would absolutely increase the value of the Big East, and it would be a mutual benefit to both parties. They would add another top program to the collection of already strong men's basketball programs. Their attendance would immediately increase due to the number of proximal geographic and historical rivals. They would pack the Garden for the tournament. The substantial decrease in travel would also benefit their student-athletes, namely their basketball team, which would only benefit their program at this point. If Fox determined that adding UConn would bump up the payments to each of the Big East schools to $5 million for its next contract, not to mention the added potential of adding one of the strongest historical men's programs in the country (and former conference affiliate), it is a no-brainer (especially with leagues considering going to 20 conference games).

They would have increased the value of the Big East when it was formed. They would probably increase the value of the Big East now. But will they in 5-10 years? They're not giving up the dream now or any time soon. And if/when they do, it may be too late.

It's too late for them now. They are public and bring little of value. They need a good conference (us ) more than a good conference needs them. UConn would benefit more by joining us, the conference would receive less value. I believe we will be at 12 or 14 for the next Fox TV contract...and UConn will not be a part of it. As I've often stated the BEast will stay all private.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby kayako » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:12 am

UConn is under investigations again...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation
supernova
kayako

Postby Jet915 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:02 am

kayako wrote:UConn is under investigations again...

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation

For recruiting? Definitely aren't cheating very well...
Jet915

Postby ArmyVet » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:08 am

The more I consider realignment, the more it's clear that there really isn't a reason for the Big East to do it.
ArmyVet

Postby BEXU » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Jet915 wrote:I'd take UCONN ..... even though their cache is greatly diminished, it still has value.

I would argue no value.
BEXU

Postby Devil's Advocate » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:28 pm

They would have increased the value of the Big East when it was formed. They would probably increase the value of the Big East now. But will they in 5-10 years? They're not giving up the dream now or any time soon. And if/when they do, it may be too late.[/quote]

It's too late for them now. They are public and bring little of value. They need a good conference (us ) more than a good conference needs them. UConn would benefit more by joining us, the conference would receive less value. I believe we will be at 12 or 14 for the next Fox TV contract...and UConn will not be a part of it. As I've often stated the BEast will stay all private.[/quote]
What's the advantage of only inviting private schools? We'll go where the money and stature are. If we do anything. Big IF.
Devil's Advocate

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board