Big East Conference Realignment v2018

The home for Big East hoops

Re: Big East Conference Realignment v2018

Postby billyjack » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:45 pm

Hmm, apprarently Edrick is not a fan of tasseography.

I'm providing expansion news about 5 years in advance. i'm providing a window to the future, a newspaper sports page that will be printed in 2023, if we still have printed newspapers.
Providence
billyjack

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby gosports1 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm still not in favor of anyone west of Omaha.(even if that tam was UCLA or Arizona) The viable candidate should be between Omaha and Boston and North of Richmond (inclusively). Now if Gonzaga can figure out how to move to Minneapolis, Nashville, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Boston or Hartford, that would be great!
gosports1

Postby Bill Marsh » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:27 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:I wouldn't add teams from the West Coast... Period.

Creighton already stretches the league wide enough (don't get me wrong. Creighton was a fantastic addition. No regrets) . The league needs to add Connecticut as the 11th and final program to join the league. Connecticut will always be a positive move for the conference, no matter the current conditions of their program. Hopefully Connecticut can sort out it's FBS football and land it into a decent conference so that it can rejoin the Big East for all sports. It will keep the round robin intact and give us 20 league games. For the BET, someone could get a bye (odd #)

Forget Gonzaga, forget San Francisco... Wait, did we really just mention SF? No freaking way man

I don't even understand how you guys are okay with flying non-revenue sports programs across the country. It's nuts. It's already tough to fly out to Omaha. Why would you do that to student-athletes?

That’s not the way it works. The fact is that most non-revenue sports wouldn’t be affected.

That flight is easily 5-6 hrs.

Kinda makes you wonder how they did it in the old days when travel was by bus before air travel was routine. Trips of 5-6 hours and more were common.
Bill Marsh

Postby ecasadoSBU » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:12 am

Bill Marsh wrote:

Creighton already stretches the league wide enough (don't get me wrong. Creighton was a fantastic addition. No regrets) . The league needs to add Connecticut as the 11th and final program to join the league. Connecticut will always be a positive move for the conference, no matter the current conditions of their program. Hopefully Connecticut can sort out it's FBS football and land it into a decent conference so that it can rejoin the Big East for all sports. It will keep the round robin intact and give us 20 league games. For the BET, someone could get a bye (odd #)

Forget Gonzaga, forget San Francisco... Wait, did we really just mention SF? No freaking way man

I don't even understand how you guys are okay with flying non-revenue sports programs across the country. It's nuts. It's already tough to fly out to Omaha. Why would you do that to student-athletes?

That’s not the way it works. The fact is that most non-revenue sports wouldn’t be affected.

Kinda makes you wonder how they did it in the old days when travel was by bus before air travel was routine. Trips of 5-6 hours and more were common.

If that's not the way it works would you at least share how it works. I would truly would like to know. Because I had the understanding that non-revenue sports would compete under the same league... and even for revenue sports its a pain to be flying out coast to coast or to the plains.

I would assume that back in the day before the jet era conferences were much more regional than they were today which kept bus trips under 4-6 hours. The Big East was basically a northeast league for much of its initial history.
Stony Brook Red, Connecticut Blue, and Big East basketball!
ecasadoSBU

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:08 am

ecasadoSBU wrote:
Bill Marsh wrote:

If that's not the way it works would you at least share how it works. I would truly would like to know. Because I had the understanding that non-revenue sports would compete under the same league...

This has been explained here a number of times before, so I’m not going into detail. Suffice it to say that the conference competition in most sports comes down to a conference tournament at a single site, not head-to-head meets against individual conference members.

and even for revenue sports its a pain to be flying out coast to coast or to the plains.

I would assume that back in the day before the jet era conferences were much more regional than they were today which kept bus trips under 4-6 hours. The Big East was basically a northeast league for much of its initial history.

Being more regional doesn’t matter. Buses travel at 60mph on expressways while planes travel at 600 mph in the air, covering 10 times the distance in the same time.

50-60 years ago, the Ivy League stretched from Philly to Hanover, NH and from Ithaca, NY to Cambridge, MA before all parts of the interstate highway system were completed. Try that in a bus. The Big Ten stretched from Minneapolis to Columbus, OH, The SEC from Baton Rouge, LA to Gainesville, FL, and the PAC 8 from LA to Pullman, WA on the Idaho border. Washington State had replaced Idaho, which had been at an even greater distance. These trips were in winter with delays from weather and traffic. In the old Yankee Conference, UConn and URI were making trips to Orono, ME and Burlington, VT. Try it some time and then imagine doing it on highways as they were in the 1950s and ‘60s.

Before there were buses and interstate highways, travel was by train, which was even slower. The Big Ten is a conference that goes back to the 19th century for goodness sakes.

I have no problem with some people not wanting a member from Eastern Washington. But the claims that the distance makes it impossible ignores the fact that college sports teams always included some long road trips during the season. It’s the time, not the distance that matters. Modern travel with charter planes has shrunk the distances.
Bill Marsh

Postby Xudash » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:50 pm

First things firstly: I LOVE THE MERRITT PARKWAY!

Seriously, excellent post Bill. Factual historical perspective comes in handy.

Add to your point that travel on buses in yesteryear involved hardcover books, whereas modern travel involves onboard WIFI, PC's and headphones with personalized music, etc.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Edrick » Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Since we are just throwing out names without basketball quality entering the argument, Detroit makes more sense than just about anyone. Not a terrible market either. Detroit has basically all the attributes of SLU.
Edrick

Postby gtmoBlue » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:38 pm

Okay. Tulane or Loyola Nawlins. I would love those New Orleans roadtrips.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
"Top tier teams rarely have true "down" years and find a way to stay relevant every year." - Adoraz

Creighton
gtmoBlue

Postby Xudash » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:44 pm

Edrick wrote:Since we are just throwing out names without basketball quality entering the argument, Detroit makes more sense than just about anyone. Not a terrible market either. Detroit has basically all the attributes of SLU.

You care to elaborate on that with respect to their respective facilities.
XAVIER
Xudash

Postby Bill Marsh » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Xudash wrote:First things firstly: I LOVE THE MERRITT PARKWAY!

No buses allowed. ;)
Bill Marsh

PreviousNext

Return to Big East basketball message board